PDA

View Full Version : Bradford Pear

Chris Barton
09-07-2005, 6:16 PM
Has anyone tried turning Bradford Pear? There are tons of it around here and they are often broken by storms and it is very easy to come by. I played around with some this afternoon turning a small bowl and I found it to be very easy to turn.

Thanks!

Dick Parr
09-07-2005, 6:46 PM
Chris I have been told by a few turners that it is nice to turn and that most fruit wood is. I have a number of pieces of Bradford pear cut up and waiting it's turn to become something.

Like you, we have a lot of it around and after every storm there is wood for the taking. In fact I pointed out a couple trees to the wife today as we were driving places. :D

Please post some pictures of what you turned so we all can see. ;)

Happy turning :)

Chris Barton
09-07-2005, 7:27 PM
Hi Dick,

Here is a picture of the bowl which is only rough turned. I will wait a few weeks to finish it out. This wood is very wet but, it is like turning butter. Also, unlike some other common woods I didn't have any problems with grain tearing.

Jeff Jump
09-07-2005, 7:36 PM
Chris,

Bradford Pear is a great wood for turning, I have made several natural edge bowls from it.
Jeff

Jim Ketron
09-07-2005, 7:44 PM
Its Nice to turn! I got a piece at Dicks that one of his local buddies donated OH BOY was it nice and curly:D I have it drying now along with a core I got out of it with the Mcnaughton.

get all you can Nice stuff!

Dick Parr
09-07-2005, 9:19 PM
Thanks Chris,

I can't wait to see that bowl when it's done. Very nice shape. :)

Jim Becker
09-07-2005, 10:57 PM
I have a few hunks in my shop from both Kevin G. and Joanne A. just waiting for me to dig in on the lathe. It turns well and is quite popular with a number of turners around here.

Mark Cothren
09-08-2005, 9:29 AM
Wow Chris! That sure looks good! I'll look forward to turning some of this wood one of these days.

Thanks for the picture!