PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Jewelry Makers ??

Tim Boger
01-11-2016, 8:57 AM
Any Wooden Jewelry makers here interested in 10 gallons of cut offs from my Segmented work?

Probably weighs 25 - 30 lbs / what ever the cost of shipping is or p/u in Lexington, SC

Tim

Dan Hintz
01-12-2016, 7:48 AM
Also potentially good for pen makers (assuming you can get 1.5-2"+ lengths out of those...

Tim Boger
01-12-2016, 7:33 PM
Thanks for your feedback Dan, there's a lot of unusual pieces to work with.

Tim

Thom Sturgill
01-13-2016, 8:36 PM
I do miniatures occasionally. Small pieces work fine for them, especially if you have and tight grained species.

I go through Columbia a couple of times a year on my way to and from NW North Carolina from Florida. I might stop by and visit this spring ( March or April ), and if you have scraps any on hand, pick some up. My niece is on one of the Columbia news shows, so we sometimes manage to catch up with her for lunch on the way through.

Tim Boger
01-13-2016, 9:11 PM
Hey Thom,

I would be delighted to hang onto this collection of bit and pieces for you, consider it yours.

Check your PM for my contact info.

I do miniatures occasionally. Small pieces work fine for them, especially if you have and tight grained species.

I go through Columbia a couple of times a year on my way to and from NW North Carolina from Florida. I might stop by and visit this spring ( March or April ), and if you have scraps any on hand, pick some up. My niece is on one of the Columbia news shows, so we sometimes manage to catch up with her for lunch on the way through.

John K Jordan
01-14-2016, 1:20 AM
Are any long enough for knife handles? I once gave a box full of thin offcuts (maybe 1" or so by 5" by 1/4" thick) to a knife maker. There were lots of species like cocobolo and other rosewoods, dogwood, purple heart, lignum vitae, etc. The guy got all choked up just looking through the box!

JKJ

Tim Boger
01-14-2016, 6:56 AM
Good Morning John, not likely to find any pieces that big .... I find it very difficult to throw any scraps away.
Tim

Glenn Barber
01-14-2016, 10:06 AM
Tim,
I wonder if these could be used for side grain glue-ups to create bottle stopper blanks? Most are 1 3/4" or 2" square by 2 1/2" or 3" lengths.

John K Jordan
01-14-2016, 1:40 PM
.... I find it very difficult to throw any scraps away.

Me too! I save pieces like you show in your bucket. But there comes a point where I just have way too much and hate to burn it. Especially ebony and cocobolo and holly and cherry and... Years ago on one forum I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack when I mentioned how well cocobolo burned. :-) At the moment I have several tubs full of rectangles of many species, some 3-5" wide, some over a foot long, all fairly thin. I keep thinking I'll make some little flatwork boxes someday but for now, most go to shop visitors!

I make a lot of one type of spindle turning and to save time I remove the 1" strips I mentioned with the bandsaw before going to the lathe. I often take things to the art teachers at the local school - maybe I'll check with them. I'm making a bunch of random rectangles for them now from 1/2" thick interior plywood leftover from building my shop.

Hey, if you get more scraps like you showed you might just check with your local high school - I'll bet some creative students would LOVE a bunch of small pieces they could glue together or string on wires or whatever. Art teachers in general have very small budgets and rely heavily on scavenged materials. This week I took a car load of styrofoam medical shipping coolers they were glad to get. (Once I took them about 10,000 cardboard microfiche boxes - they used those for years!!)

JKJ