PDA

View Full Version : OT - need a new pump!

John Showler
06-10-2003, 1:10 PM
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted last - just very busy since new daughter Chloe arrived in Feb (6 in all). Whew. I have been doing some turning and hope to post a few pics in the near future when it quiets down some (like maybe 20 years?)

Anyhow, I am in need of a medium duty water transfer pump. I have seen one in Harbor Freight for $30 on sale. 1", clear water 1/2 hp cast iron. I have found a few others out there in the same class, but they are going for $130 - $150,which I believe is a "proper" price for a pump.

Just wondering about the HF, if anyone has had one. $30 seems just tooooo cheep!

Any thoughts or leads would be appreciated,

John Showler in wet wet wet NJ

Eric Apple - Central IN
06-10-2003, 1:33 PM
Are you a gambling type person ?

Yes that is a cheap price. I've got some really good deals on stuff at HF. You really need a chance to see the pump and how it is constructed before buying it. If you can do that, and it looks OK i'd be inclined to try it. If (big if) you can live with the cost associated with the pump failing early or not meeting the rated output.

For example, I wouldn't buy a sewage ejector pump at HF for the house. But I might for a camper.

Sometimes you can get really "ain't no way" deals at HF and that pump might last for many years. Othertimes, there are items that are complete junk.

Glen Smith
06-10-2003, 3:57 PM
Look it over, if it looks like it is constructed well and isn't OBVIOUSLY junk, buy two, use the one and keep the other as a spare. Then if it goes dead on a long holiday weekend, yopu can replace it imeadiatly.

Of course, if it is a real PITA to replace the pump...

Glen Smith

Scott Greaves
06-10-2003, 4:13 PM
Hi John,

I have been looking at that pump for a while. I am going to need a pump that circulates the fluid in my in-floor radiant heating system in my shop. Most of the pumps sold for this purpose seem to be apx. the same as this one. I even downloaded the manual from Harbor Freight, but it really didn't clear anything up.

I think I will do what was suggusted - buy two, so I can have a spare, and give them a try. If you do get one and try it out, please let us know how it turned out!

Scott.