PDA

View Full Version : Next on the bench?

steven c newman
01-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Well, the cheap Pine table will soon be on it's way to the same bedroom as the LoftBed I built for a GrandBRAT. Bench didn't stay cleaned off too long, though
This table, a few years ago, I used parts from an old Meersman Coffee table I found on a trash pile. Rebuilt it using the aprons as patterns, and cleaned up the legs. New parts were some Black Walnut. Well, another grandbrat used it as a "play table" and a place to sit and watch the TV. Those markings on the table?:mad:
Well, the base was missing screws, couple legs are loose. That mess on the top just had to go. Shop does not use chemicals for stripping finishes ( About 7' from the gas furnace and water heater) Tried a beltsander first....wasn't cuttig it, stuff was way to thick. Decided something else might work better?
Wasn't the best wat to hold things still...Plane is by Millers Falls, called Mohawk-Shelburne ( later to became the V-Line #900) I figured I could use it instead of my "good" Stanley No.4, T-13...Decided to just take the top off the base, easier to work on both that way. Clamped it down inline with the bench
Much better? Forgot how many knots this thing had back then....one "bad"area was cupped up a bit, needed a cambered plane to take that out
Ohio Tool Co. #5c. Removed the high spots to get at the lower, crayon filled areas, then back to the Mohawk
Seemed to work ok....Get this part of the job done, then I can fix the base back up. Maybe a new top coat or three? Only stripping the suff of the top, rest is in decent shape.

Nice little Cardio Work out....:D

Don Orr
01-11-2016, 1:40 PM
Very cool restore job. The custom paint job definitely needed to go.

Chris Hachet
01-11-2016, 2:05 PM
I am liking this project....

steven c newman
01-13-2016, 9:19 PM
Got the top all nice and cleaned up
Got a few bits of pine ripped, and jointed..
and set up a mitrebox and saws...
This saw was a bit too slow, so
Longer saw = faster cut. 8 point crosscut by Corsair/Great Neck Tool Co.
Needed to make a few brackets, as these old things were....bad
Made two brackets per corner, one the tie the leg to the aprons, with a screw right through to the leg. The other was just to the aprons, and will get a slot cut to attach the top with
letting the glue set up, will try tomorrow to attach the top....maybe a finish after that?

Chris Hachet
01-14-2016, 7:57 AM
Neat quick project....now maybe I can rope you into getting me caught up (just kidding...sort of...)

steven c newman
01-14-2016, 5:42 PM
Boss has a Funeral to go to Saturday....other that that, not much going on.

Top is now installed on the base. had to plane the underside, first
Yes, it says Craftsman....made by Millers falls....#3C BB
After one coat of wiped on BLO..
Screwed the top to the base, after making a slot in each bracket. Gave the top of the top a coat of that smelly stuff, as well
and, since this os one of those rare times the benchtop is cleared off
It got a coat of the wipe-on stuff as well.
Top will need another coat, then the table might just be done?

steven c newman
01-17-2016, 11:40 AM
Something made the top coat bubble up. It was even running of the end of the table. Either there was something in the bowl I used for the mix ( 50/50 BLO Poly) or something was in the just washed rag I applied the top coat with. Will be scraping the mess back off, and applying just plain BLO. Maybe then this table will be ready to go?

Have a stack of pine boards from Menards awaiting the trip to the shop..
Along with some hinges, and a handle to carry whatever this stack of 1x10s and 1x12" will make. $1.69 each, bought five boards, picked through to get the clearest stuff. Longest might be 36". Maybe a Stanley No. 888 in the works???

James Pallas
01-17-2016, 1:09 PM
Another good one Steven. Can't wait to see what happens to the pine boards and some hinges. What could it be?!.
Jim

steven c newman
01-17-2016, 7:58 PM
Well, I did make a start tonight..
22" long plane to add a beveled edge, twice..
planed some end grain, to clean up a saw cut. Might as well do both of them..
Did some cross-cutting....and checked the ends..
And, if Mr. Hoyle agrees...
Maybe I can lay out for through dovetails to join the corners? I kept the cut-offs from the sides, need to mark a board for bevels and width, to make a couple lids.

Maybe I can replace the old $2 Simonds...
This thing is packed way too full, I can't even lift the blasted thing. Need to diversify.....

steven c newman
01-18-2016, 3:33 PM
Have a few corners dovetailed. Might get the rest done later today. The "FUN" part will be making the lids. Kind of a Parrallogram/trapezoid thingy. Beveled to match the sides, and beveled to match the top. Not sure about the angles, just yet.

Hinges? You will see a pair of brass "barrels" sticking out, leaves will be on the inside...

Chris Hachet
01-19-2016, 8:45 AM
Have a few corners dovetailed. Might get the rest done later today. The "FUN" part will be making the lids. Kind of a Parrallogram/trapezoid thingy. Beveled to match the sides, and beveled to match the top. Not sure about the angles, just yet.

Hinges? You will see a pair of brass "barrels" sticking out, leaves will be on the inside...

Pics or it did not happen...

steven c newman
01-19-2016, 10:38 AM
This will just have to do...for now
Dry fit. And, sitting on a base. The boards under the base will do the lids....Might have it done by...Saturday..?

Chris Hachet
01-19-2016, 10:54 AM
This will just have to do...for now
Dry fit. And, sitting on a base. The boards under the base will do the lids....Might have it done by...Saturday..?

Looking good.

steven c newman
01-19-2016, 5:42 PM
Well....hmmm,glue up is in the clamps. It did put up a fight....but they still went together..
rotate..
Lower left corner is a hair out of square, turns out the dovetails weren't seated all the way in...
Rotate..
Imagine trying to crank all them clamps down, and fighting the center divider into it's slot....

I think I could have made R. Lee Ermy ...blush....

steven c newman
01-19-2016, 9:35 PM
Box came out of the clamps....meh. Planed and sanded all four corners, and trimmed the top rail for length.
And, leveled the bottom edges. Cut a plank to make the bottom with, and, since I don't have the required handplane....I use one of them corded thinngys
And a test fit with the case.
Hmmm, case was a hair out of square. Ok, we can fix that. I drilled a series of pilot holes around the edges of the base/bottom. Then, I used this strange contraption
Hey it does work to make counter sinks for the screws. Clamped the box into the end vise, using the center divider. Installed a couple screws along one edge. The a clamp was used.
To pull things into square, once it was square, I added the rest of the screws. Had two more pilot holes to drill
And installed the handle. Much easier to cart around that way. Maybe, just maybe, a couple lids will get made? Later this week?

Chris Hachet
01-20-2016, 7:25 AM
Box came out of the clamps....meh. Planed and sanded all four corners, and trimmed the top rail for length.
And, leveled the bottom edges. Cut a plank to make the bottom with, and, since I don't have the required handplane....I use one of them corded thinngys
And a test fit with the case.
Hmmm, case was a hair out of square. Ok, we can fix that. I drilled a series of pilot holes around the edges of the base/bottom. Then, I used this strange contraption
Hey it does work to make counter sinks for the screws. Clamped the box into the end vise, using the center divider. Installed a couple screws along one edge. The a clamp was used.
To pull things into square, once it was square, I added the rest of the screws. Had two more pilot holes to drill
And installed the handle. Much easier to cart around that way. Maybe, just maybe, a couple lids will get made? Later this week?

Lids might be good....

steven c newman
01-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Need to go digging into the #2 Tool Chest....There is a Stanley No. 39 3/8" and a Wards #78 I will need. Bread board edges on the lids....need the cut a few tongues. Might get a Walnut Accent strip out on the ends? They can lap down over the edge of the box, and act like a dust seal? Might be easier to do than just a rebate on three edges of a one piece beveled board....

Might take a day or two to cobble the lids up.....

Chris Hachet
01-20-2016, 2:18 PM
Need to go digging into the #2 Tool Chest....There is a Stanley No. 39 3/8" and a Wards #78 I will need. Bread board edges on the lids....need the cut a few tongues. Might get a Walnut Accent strip out on the ends? They can lap down over the edge of the box, and act like a dust seal? Might be easier to do than just a rebate on three edges of a one piece beveled board....

Might take a day or two to cobble the lids up.....

I have some scrap walnut if you don't.....

steven c newman
01-20-2016, 5:11 PM
Lookee what I found today!
Not sure about that square.....
Made use of an Ohio Tool Works #81..
And went "Olde School" when I cut the bread board ends to size..
Needed four of the pieces
Also used the #78 to cut a few tongues..
One side at a time. Get these cut, and a dry fit
This is the underside. Got both lids in the clamps, waiting on Elmer's to cure. Then, I can fine tune for fit on this box..
Not too bad an afternoon?