PDA

View Full Version : How to lengthen high voltage wire on Chinese power supply?

John Noell
01-10-2016, 10:55 PM
I got a replacement RECI power supply but it came with a very short high voltage wire and two extra lengths of high voltage wire. I could solder the wires together but how do I effectively insulate the splice when dealing with such high voltages?

John Wang of Shenhui (who sold it at a lower price than direct from RECI) says, "And i dont sell this power supply usually. Kindly check the user manual of P12 power supply." (The manual is a one page pdf that does not mention the high voltage wire except in a small wiring diagram.)

Dave Sheldrake
01-10-2016, 11:16 PM
Light object do the correct insulated connectors @ $10 :)

Rich Harman
01-11-2016, 5:48 AM
I stripped about 1/2" off each end and soldered together - not twisted. Then I wrapped, wrapped and wrapped some more with electrical tape until it was about as thick as a magic marker. It's been over a year, no problems.

John Noell
01-12-2016, 1:10 AM
Thanks guys! I've ordered the connector from LightObject. Until it comes, I think I'll do something like Rich did.

David Somers
01-12-2016, 2:14 PM
John,

Did you give any thought to using a cable stretcher? That way you dont break the insulation. They cost marginally more than those connectors Mr Sheldrake mentioned and can be used again and again. I wired my whole garage using a cable stretcher and 1 foot of 12 gauge Romex. You can get them from the same shops that sell Salt Water Taffy Pullers and Truth Stretchers. Though I did notice that Truth Stretchers are hard to find now. I assume that is due to Primary Season lasting for 2 years now.

Hope you two had a great holiday and didnt get too many snow days!!!

Dave

Gary Hair
01-12-2016, 2:25 PM
I found a cable stretcher at the local auto parts store, right next to the metric crescent wrenches and muffler bearing grease. If anyone gets this I'll be impressed - they are also found at the px along with riser grease, canopy lights and keys to the dz.

John,

Did you give any thought to using a cable stretcher? That way you dont break the insulation. They cost marginally more than those connectors Mr Sheldrake mentioned and can be used again and again. I wired my whole garage using a cable stretcher and 1 foot of 12 gauge Romex. You can get them from the same shops that sell Salt Water Taffy Pullers and Truth Stretchers. Though I did notice that Truth Stretchers are hard to find now. I assume that is due to Primary Season lasting for 2 years now.

Dave

AL Ursich
01-12-2016, 2:28 PM
Went through many rolls of this tape when making Picture Tubes for Sony... Great High Voltage tape...

John Noell
01-12-2016, 3:59 PM
And cheaper than the cable stretcher!

Jerome Stanek
01-12-2016, 4:35 PM
I would use GTO wire the same as with my Neon signs

Matt McCoy
01-12-2016, 7:45 PM
John,

Dave

I have an attachment that snaps into my board stretcher for cable.

John Noell
01-12-2016, 7:51 PM
Well, reading this thread beats watching 500 pearl shells get engraved. And the best part is that pearl shells cannot catch fire!