PDA

View Full Version : Shingle Mill

paul mcewan
01-10-2016, 8:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CxE1bDeWnI

Art Mann
01-10-2016, 10:26 PM
The shingle mill is impressive but the tractor even more so. I am not interested in watching the same repetitious motion for 19 minutes.

Ian Moone
01-11-2016, 4:11 AM
I must be old school - I am quite happy to watch it for 19 minutes.
I used to own operate a large saw blade / docking mill for a lot of years - I'd spend all day on it... & it never got old... I solved most of the worlds problems in my head while just standing there operating it!.
This stuff was engineered to last, not like today's mass produced case hardened plasticine stuff, straight outta China.
I guess to me this says "earning an honest living".... while today everyone seems to have a scam of some sort where they don't work, don't pay any tax, and pocket a small fortune with no social responsibility morals or ethics... silly me - I meant to say "Corporate CEO".
To me this demonstrates whats wrong with our world.
It shows what we were, compared to what we have become!.
Heck I might just watch this again!
I got all day - why not?

Art Mann
01-11-2016, 11:37 AM
I worked one summer between the 11th and 12th grades stacking lumber off the "green chain", which was the conveyor on the back end of the sawmill. That one looked very much like the one in the video but it was powered by an old stationary diesel engine. As a boy, I went with my Dad to a commercial sawmill 6 miles from my home to buy lumber. That mill used a stationary steam engine and a giant flywheel to run the saw blade. This was not a demo mill. They tried to cut a thousand feet a day. They shut it down because the boiler was riveted rather than welded and new safety regulations required expensive modifications. Perhaps I got bored with the video because I have watched this kind of equipment for hundreds of hours.