PDA

View Full Version : Box for combination plane blades

Barry Dima
01-10-2016, 6:22 PM
Normally, I'd post this in the projects section, but it seems more relevant to the neander section—if at least for y'all's critique.

I'm pretty happy with this. Fun little project that will greatly help reduce clutter.

The box is unfinished. Maybe I'll add BLO when the weather's warmer so the box doesn't have to warm inside? I do like poplar's booger streaks, though.

Whoops, screws. Also, planing down the dividers to better fit the irons to reduce slop would have been smart.

End grain wasn't supposed to show. I really need to do a better job of following my plan, ya know?

*Privitive design heavily inspired by Brandon on Lumberjocks, which is better (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/55361). For one, he left spaces for the tongue blades' depth stops. The 1/4" material seems too thin to dado out space, so I'll have to deal. Second, his lid is smarter because it doesn't interfere with the back row of blades.

Jim Koepke
01-10-2016, 7:18 PM
Pretty neat storage box.

The only problem is if you end up with another bunch of blades you will have to expand.

Currently I have storage in the original box that came with my #55. There is a full set of blades for a #45 including the special cutters in a box made by a previous owner. There are four of five boxes of blades on a shelf. Then there are some small drawers with blades for my #45, #50 & #55. It would take a pretty big box to consolidate them all.

jtk

Bill McNiel
01-10-2016, 7:20 PM
Barry - I really like your attitude and self evaluation. BTW-anything that reduces clutter is a positive step IMHO.

Barry Dima
01-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Pretty neat storage box.

The only problem is if you end up with another bunch of blades you will have to expand.

Currently I have storage in the original box that came with my #55. There is a full set of blades for a #45 including the special cutters in a box made by a previous owner. There are four of five boxes of blades on a shelf. Then there are some small drawers with blades for my #45, #50 & #55. It would take a pretty big box to consolidate them all.

jtk

Now THAT would be a neat storage box.

Barry - I really like your attitude and self evaluation. BTW-anything that reduces clutter is a positive step IMHO.

That compliment's probably the best I've gotten in awhile. Thanks, Bill.

David Eisenhauer
01-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Thanks for sharing Barry. I need to do something like this for the cutters on my 45.