PDA

View Full Version : American walnut veneer kitchen units suggestions

Roberto Carlos
01-10-2016, 4:09 PM
Having spent many weeks preparing the units and selecting the veneer for the doors, I am now ready to finish the veneer :):):)

Problem is, I can't quite match the colour or smooth matte finish that I am looking for - I'm hoping to match this beautiful wardrobe finish: http://www.riva1920.it/en/gallery/2478/?start=1

Linseed oil seems to darken the veneer a little too much for the desired result but it is the closest I can get any samples to match. Can any of you guys and girls suggest a different coating to put on the veneer instead?

Also if I do go with BLO in the end is it OK to put a matte varnish on so that the doors will withstand normal kitchen use?

Thank you and wishing everyone all the best for 2016!

Steve Jenkins
01-10-2016, 4:41 PM
You might try one of the walnut Watco colors for a stain then topcoat it with a matt or low sheen clear topcoat. I use a ten sheen conversion varnish.

Roberto Carlos
01-10-2016, 5:13 PM
You might try one of the walnut Watco colors for a stain then topcoat it with a matt or low sheen clear topcoat. I use a ten sheen conversion varnish.

Thanks Steve. Do you recommend just one layer of topcoat or will 3-4 coats change the appearance? I was thinking that a few coats would provide extra protection...

John TenEyck
01-10-2016, 7:27 PM
How important is it that you exactly match the color and sheen? If it's for a customer and that's what they want, then it's important. But if it's personal then close may be good enough. I say that because matching color and sheen is very difficult if you don't use the same wood, and finishing materials and processes as used on the original; not impossible, but very difficult.

Assuming you want a really close match, I think you should look into dying the wood with Transtint or Transfast dye. That and your topcoat may do it. If not, you may need to add a couple more steps, such as dye, sealer, glazing stain, sealer or toner, and finally your topcoat. As you can see, it can get pretty complicated, and keeping it simple is always better if you can.

As for the topcoat, you definitely will need at least two coats of whatever you decide to use to have a durable finish.

John

Steve Jenkins
01-10-2016, 7:28 PM
Normally you need at least two topcoats. After the first you lightly sand it with 320 grit to remove any dust nibs and raised grain. The second coat should lay down really nice and smooth. This of course depends on the material you are using and how you are applying it. I use a conversion varnish sprayed on. If using a wipe on finish you need more coats.
John posted while I was typing.

Chris Fairbanks
01-20-2016, 3:30 AM
Roberto I was reading on another forums about Milesi's products. They are a high end European finish manufacture. They have a line of natural feel products that I think will give you what you are looking for. I just don't know if that line is durable enough for a kitchen. I have a similar project coming up but for a bathroom. If you reach out to them and find out anything out please post the details. Thanks!

http://www.milesi.us/en/pages/100-hydrocoat-nature-feel