PDA

View Full Version : 2 hp Dust Gorilla (use of remote control)

Daniel Simon
09-07-2005, 5:41 PM
Is anyone using a remote control with their 2 hp Dust Gorilla? Just wondering if it's OK since it has a magnetic switch. Onieda says:

"as far as using your remote control unit I think it would work fine (*note there is not a thermal overload on the motor so you would want to put it on a 15amp breaker)." (???)

Thanks guys.

Don Baer
09-07-2005, 5:54 PM
Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the creek. The answer to your question is YES...:D

And here's a link as to how to do it. You can thanks Mr Peacock for the write up.

http://home.alliancecable.net/~woodworker/dcremote.html

Daniel Simon
09-08-2005, 2:33 PM
Thanks! Anyone else?

Larry Browning
09-08-2005, 2:39 PM
I made Dennis's remote for my 2hp Gorilla and love it! It cost me a total of about $35.

Larry

Steve Clardy
09-08-2005, 3:11 PM
I also kind of went with Dennis and Tyler's Remote. Used a little of both.
Use mine with a 4hp unit.

JayStPeter
09-08-2005, 3:15 PM
A remote setup would have to be implemented between the magnetic switch and the motor if you want to keep the magnetic switch in the circuit. Otherwise, every time you shut it off the magnetic switch will turn off and not allow you to turn it back on without pushing the button on the mag switch (after turning on the remote). Personally I would just replace the magnetic switch with a power contactor like Dennis'. It sounds like you would lose your thermal overload protection though (but, I'd still go that way).
I found that my remote setup would kick on occasionally. A couple times a year I would wake in the middle of the night or come home from work and have my DC on. My remote (the 110V plug in Dennis' pics) is now powered by one of my light circuits. The lights have to be on for the DC to turn on. If you wired the remote switch between the mag switch and motor, you could accomplish the same thing using the magnetic switch at the beginning and end of each shop session (something I would forget to do when leaving the shop for sure).

Jay

Steve Clardy
09-08-2005, 3:28 PM
I also left my magnetic switch in the system, in case my remote fails.

Andy London
09-09-2005, 7:52 AM
I sold my mag switch and have the Gorilla wired direct to the X10, no issues yet.

Jim Becker
09-09-2005, 9:00 AM
I have a contactor setup based on Dennis' "design" and can't really figure why a magnetic switch is even needed for a cyclone. Using a contactor gives you a switching setup that can handle these bigger motors effectively (I blew out three X10 switches over two years...of very part-time use) and you can then control the contactor via wireless if you prefer or a hard-wired switch in the shop as I have done. Both the 240v supply to the cyclone via the contactor and the 120v to control the contactor have plugs in my system so I can totally isolate it for maintenance if I need to. (Serves as the required disconnect)