PDA

View Full Version : Made a new cameras mount today for my hollowing rig

Sparky Paessler
01-10-2016, 3:14 PM
Well I decided that since I was doing a presentation at my next turning club on hollowing with a video camera that I should make a little better mount for the camera and get rid of the rubber bands! I had some 3/4" delrin that seemed like it would work well. First I cut out a rectangle and marked the centers of the ends. I then chucked it up on the metal lathe and turned a 1 1/2" long shaft on one end that would fit into the end of my upper hollowing bar. My camera is an 1 1/2" square so I used an 1 1/2" forester bit to drill a recess into one side the depth of the camera body. I then used a small wood chisel to square the recess up. I added set screws to three sides to hold the camera in and added a hole thru the top for the cord. I also ran a screw thru the side of the tube I think the delrin to hole it in place and keep it from twisting. Seem like it will work well and looks a lot better! I also turned a small aluminum disk with a tab on the back that will drop into the Allen screw hole on the cutter and on the top I cut rings the cutter size, 1/8" out, and 1/4" out. The outside edge is at 3/8". This allow me to drop it on the cutter and quickly mark my distance circle when hollowing.

Thom Sturgill
01-10-2016, 5:25 PM
Yep! That spiffed it up right nice!

I still have to get started on mine, got a camera and a laser arm to mount on my Jameison style captured hollower, but have been having too much fun with basket illusion and miniature turnings to worry about hollow forms (other than a 1" tall one I just finished).

David C. Roseman
01-10-2016, 5:51 PM
Very slick, Sparky. If I were a bit closer, I'd sure like to attend your presentation. :)

Hal Taylor
01-11-2016, 9:26 AM
Looks like a great solution for a mount. Looks like a really good camera - what is it?

Sparky Paessler
01-11-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks all!

Hal, That is a camera I got from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OFVGIF6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00) What I like about it is that it has good focus and zoom capability so you can adjust the size of the cutter on the screen (with the zoom).