PDA

View Full Version : Sideboard pics (long)

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-07-2005, 4:50 PM
I've finally oiled up the sideboard that's taken entirely too long... :(

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd12.jpg

I struggled for two weeks trying to decide what to do with the 'top'...and against the advice of my two most trusted consultants (LOML and Tommy Skaggs), I went with the plate rack thingy anyway because I like it. To me, this is what will set it apart from your everyday sideboard. :)

As you look at the top, the panel has an endcap (fake breadboard) on each end. These pieces extend beyond the main panel 7/8". The stiles at the side of the plate rack sit flush on the top at the back of the endcap, and the lower rail of the plate rack extends below, and will be screwed into the back of the main panel of the top. I'll also put a screw at the front of the side support 'corbels' from underneath the top.

The panel of the plate rack is 12 pieces, 1/2" thick. I wasn't comfortable cutting a tongue and groove on this, becasue I figured I'd break the tongue on 8 of the 12 before I got it togther...so I cut a 3/16 groove in all the pieces, chamfered all the edges to get the 'vee' effect, and used full length splines to assemble the panel. The 12 pieces are 'sort of' bookmatched. Counting from the left, 1 and 12 are mates, 2 and 11, etc...leading to the most strking two, 6 and 7 in the middle. A small detail that will probably be hidden by plates...but I feel good about it anyway. :D

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd14.jpg

I cut a double plate groove (vee) in the shelf, and a single groove in the top itself. The little 'caps' on the end of the shelf are so I didn't have to look at the grooves coming out the end...and I didn't like the way a 'stopped' cut looked. The side support pieces of the plate rack cover the ends of the groove in the top.

Basic machine-cut dovetail drawer box, 3 sides mesquite with 1/2" Russian birch ply for the bottoms. The drawer fronts (all five) are from the same piece of wood. I ripped 3-1/2" off the width and resawed/bookmatched those pieces for the bottom drawers, and used the other piece to resaw/bookmatch the top row. Finsihed thickness of the fronts is something around 3/8".

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd16.jpg

Here's a shot of the 'guts'...South American mesquite and Russian birch ply for the dust panels. Drawer slides are Liberty full-extension, and I'm happy with them. The slides aren't on the drawers in these pics, but when they are I've got a very even gap all around, something well less than 1/16". The drawer fronts are all chamfered, and by design, this chamfer will be 'proud' of the face frame when closed. Cheap (not!) Mission pulls from Woodcraft. Rockler has the same thing, but they're an antique brass color and I prefer this black.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd17.jpg

I cut too much off the tenon on the shelf for the mortise. After measuring several times. Anyhoo, I wedged those little pieces of ebony in there to fill the hole. Kinda looks like I did it purpose...so I'm gonna call it a 'save'. :)

And for those that need help visualizing, here's one from this morning with some plates and stiff just thrown up there. I took this one to help convince Jean I might've been right this time. :p

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/sidebd9.jpg

As usual, In a week or so I'll follow the natural WATCO with Sherwood Dull-Rubbed effect lacquer.

Thanks for looking!

Jim Hinze
09-07-2005, 5:07 PM
Wow! That wood looks stunning with a coat of oil. Very nice work.

Rob Russell
09-07-2005, 5:09 PM
KC,

Looks great!

Is this piece for a customer or is it a personal keeper?

Rob

Jim Hager
09-07-2005, 5:11 PM
Very nice. I like all the work from the plate rack on down to the drawer slides. That will be around for a long time.;)

Jason Tuinstra
09-07-2005, 5:21 PM
Yet another KC Masterpiece! Great job on this one KC. It turned out wonderful. It's going to fit in right nice with the new table and chairs.

John Scarpa
09-07-2005, 5:33 PM
I really like what you've done with that. Nice execution

Chris Barton
09-07-2005, 6:17 PM
Impressive!

Dan Oliphant
09-07-2005, 6:17 PM
Great looking piece of furniture, I really like the pieces you create with that wood. Very stunning.

Martin Shupe
09-07-2005, 7:57 PM
KC...

WOW!!!

What an incredible piece. Very nice indeed.

Great job!

Richard Wolf
09-07-2005, 8:05 PM
Beautiful piece of furniture.

Richard

Gil Mitchell
09-07-2005, 8:15 PM
just plain old

BEAUTIFUL

adj 1: delighting the senses or exciting intellectual or emotional admiration;

Mark Singer
09-07-2005, 8:22 PM
Nice!!!! I really like the work and design!

Jason Morgan
09-07-2005, 8:31 PM
Where are you getting all this fine Mesquite? Did you fell a tree or are you just on extra good terms with the wood fairy?

Bob Noles
09-07-2005, 8:31 PM
Kirk....

If my wife sees that, I am in more trouble than you and me both can get out of. :D

That thing is spectacular! Great design and excellent craftsmanship for sure. I really like it.

Corey Hallagan
09-07-2005, 8:54 PM
Another beautiful piece KC, that is my favorite of your mesquite wonders.

Corey

Norman Hitt
09-08-2005, 3:25 AM
Aaaaaah, KC, it's wonderful. All I've got to say is that if they give prizes at the "Mesquite Festival", and this doesn't take TOP HONORS for "BEST of SHOW", then the Judges must've just eaten too much Sausage, Chili, etc, and had their Eyes Bloated Shut. I've got a feeling that your "Shop's Bank Account" is going to be Smiling when this year's show is over.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-08-2005, 7:25 AM
Thank you. :)

The sideboard/table/chairs will be for sale at the Mesquite show, but if I have to bring them home, that'll be okay. I really enjoyed the sudeboard, and I almost hate to be finished with it. Maybe because now I HAVE to finally decide the more chairs/bench question! ;)

KC

Jim Becker
09-08-2005, 7:58 AM
Very nice results, KC...as expected!!

Jeff Sudmeier
09-08-2005, 8:25 AM
KC, I like the plate rack!!! My LOML doesn't collect any plates, but I have a nieghbor who does, she would simply love something like this!

Anyway, like you said, the plate rack really sets it apart.

Donnie Raines
09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
I like the plate thingy....granted it does make it look diffrent then your everyday sideboard...but that was intended... :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2005, 1:13 PM
I like your design. The mesquite wood is gorgeous! Great project KC!

Vaughn McMillan
09-08-2005, 7:23 PM
KC, that's excellent on all counts. The design and executions are great, and the mesquite sure looks nice when it's been oiled.

- Vaughn

Norman Hitt
09-08-2005, 10:19 PM
Thank you. :)

The sideboard/table/chairs will be for sale at the Mesquite show, but if I have to bring them home, that'll be okay. I really enjoyed the sudeboard, and I almost hate to be finished with it. Maybe because now I HAVE to finally decide the more chairs/bench question! ;)

KC

Hey, KC,
I just thought of a way that you DON'T have to make a Decision. :D Just make some Chairs, AND some Benches, and then sell the table with whichever they want, then sell the others separately, OR just bring them Home, and make another table to go with them. :D Heck, as fast as you work, that would be Quicker than all that "Thinking" you'd have to do to make a Decision. :D

Jules Dominguez
09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
That's spectacularly attractive.

AJ Hamler
09-09-2005, 7:53 AM
K.C. ...

Fabulous work. You made the right choice with the plate rack. I'm not always a fan of plate racks -- I have two climbing cats who would be attracted to one like a magnet -- but this works very nicely.

How about sending me a couple of hi-res shots of the finished piece, and I'll pick one to run in our "Show Off" gallery. (This goes for any and all of you who have finished some nice stuff -- especially any pieces or projects you've made for the holidays. Send them my way and I'll publish the best in the magazine.)

BTW, the aforementioned Tom Skaggs has a really nice Chest on Stand that will appear in the next issue.
A.J.

Eddie Watkins
09-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I like the plate rack. Great looking piece, KC.

Michael Pfau
09-09-2005, 10:09 PM
Very nice sideboard KC! I have always wanted to build one of those. The mesquite is outstanding. I have the plans for a Kentucky Sideboard, that I will build one day. I am still working on the chairs for the arts and crafts table! Almost ready to finish. I will post pics then. The plate thing is a good touch!

Bob Marino
09-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Kirk,

Just echoing what others have said - great work from start to finish.

Bob