PDA

View Full Version : How do you use guide bushings with a Jessem Mast-r-Lift 2 and

Daryl Bowker
01-09-2016, 10:14 PM
I have a new Jessem Mast-r-Lift 2 with a Bosch 1617 EVS in it. I can't figure out how you could use the Bosch guide bushings as the base is off the motor. Is there special guide bushing insert plates for the Jessem? Perhaps I am just missing something obvious...

kent leben
01-09-2016, 10:20 PM
These: http://m.woodcraft.com/product/153086/jessem-tabloc-4piece-sized-insert-ring-set-jessem-02025.aspx

Daryl Bowker
01-09-2016, 11:06 PM
Kent, thanks for the input. I have these insert plates. I don't see how you could attach a guide bushing to them though.

Steve Wurster
01-10-2016, 9:44 AM
Kent, thanks for the input. I have these insert plates. I don't see how you could attach a guide bushing to them though.

The third one in the picture will take the PC-style guide bushings.

If you have the Bosch bushings that go into their Bosch-specific holder, then, no, you will not be able to use them in your lift. I also have the Bosch 1617 combo and, rather than use their Bosch-specific bushings, I have a set of PC-style bushings and the Bosch adapter that holds them. That way I can use the bushings with anything that can hold PC-style bushings, whether it's any of my routers or the equivalent insert for my lift.

glenn bradley
01-10-2016, 9:49 AM
Right, Bosch goes their own way on guide bushings. On my only Bosch router I have the adapter (http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/814485/Bosch-Template-Guide-Adapter.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiAn8i0BRDur-HV1PCTy4UBEiQAPuFr9IG2E1tg-7qS1uIiOxPpPa71ySXQbZjRlJGaz1mwoIEaApX08P8HAQ)so I don't have to keep a set of special bushings. In your case you have the opposite problem. The JessEm is not likely to offer a Bosch bushing adapter whereas most who stray from the PC collar standard offer an adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-FT1100-Template-Guide-Adaptor/dp/B00004RJYV)to get there. Best solution IMHO is to go with the de facto standard bushings. This will avoid compatibility issues with other tools in the future.

Daryl Bowker
01-10-2016, 11:00 AM
That is the direction I assumed I needed to go in, however I still don't see how they work with my set up. These bushings attach to the router plate of the 1617EVS which is part of the motor collar, however the motor collar is removed when mounted in the Jessem Mastrlift so I end up with nothing to attach them to....

Steve Wurster
01-10-2016, 11:12 AM
That is the direction I assumed I needed to go in, however I still don't see how they work with my set up. These bushings attach to the router plate of the 1617EVS which is part of the motor collar, however the motor collar is removed when mounted in the Jessem Mastrlift so I end up with nothing to attach them to....

That third JessEm inset ring has a rabbet-style effect on it that allows it to take PC bushings. The bushing goes on the top, while the nut part goes underneath. You then bring the entire router motor / lift assembly up from underneath and the bit will protrude out from inside the bushing. The router plate that came with the Bosch is not used here at all.

Daryl Bowker
01-10-2016, 12:21 PM
Mystery solved, I received a bad set of Jessem inserts. It has two 2 1/2" inserts and no 1 3/8" guide bushing plate as it is supposed to have!