PDA

View Full Version : Yoshihiro?

Jeff Bartley
01-09-2016, 7:12 PM
Good evening!
Today I ventured into a new-to-me, but not unknown, hardware store. A couple years ago while we were working near it one of my coworkers went for supplies and came back reporting that this hardware store had a set of Japanese chisels in the case.
Fast forward to this afternoon, I went in, saw the chisels still there and made them an offer on the set which they agreed to. Now I have a set of 5 Yoshihiro oire nomi chisels!
Can anyone tell me anything about these? I've searched the webs but haven't really come up with much. Tomorrow I'll get to work setting hoops and sharpening. Really looking forward to putting these through the paces!

Jeff Bartley
01-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Do these pics help anyone recognize these chisels? I'd love to know more, or anything, about them!

Jeff Bartley
01-12-2016, 7:51 PM
Just for the sake of the record I wanted to report back what I found out about these chisels. With Chris Hall's help it was determined that these are commonly available Japanese carpenters chisels. Chris is a stand up dude to help an unknown stranger who just emailed him out of the blue! I don't think he reads the ww'ing forums but I'll give him a hearty public thanks anyways and if anyone hasn't read his blog (the carpentry way) be sure to check it out!
Back to the chisels: early this morning in started on the first one by flattening the back, it needed a bit of work, and on the diamond film/granite set up that I use it was slow going!
I'll report more if there's any interest, so far this discussion has been pretty one-sided!!

Kenneth Fisher
01-12-2016, 8:05 PM
Good to hear you got it sorted out.
I'm interested in hearing about them, I will most likely be picking up something similar.

Allan Speers
01-12-2016, 9:11 PM
Just for the sake of the record I wanted to report back what I found out about these chisels. With Chris Hall's help it was determined that these are commonly available Japanese carpenters chisels. Chris is a stand up dude to help an unknown stranger who just emailed him out of the blue! I don't think he reads the ww'ing forums but I'll give him a hearty public thanks anyways and if anyone hasn't read his blog (the carpentry way) be sure to check it out!
Back to the chisels: early this morning in started on the first one by flattening the back, it needed a bit of work, and on the diamond film/granite set up that I use it was slow going!
I'll report more if there's any interest, so far this discussion has been pretty one-sided!!

That's certainly not a bad thing! "commonly available Japanese carpenters chisels" are likely made for actual tradesman, meaning they are darn good tools. Are these laminated? Your pic is tiny but that does look like a wrought iron back.

Jeff Bartley
01-13-2016, 6:50 AM
They are laminated, and they do indeed look like nice chisels, but I say that having not put the edges to wood! And never having any experience with other Japanese chisels.
I'd love to know what type of steel they're made of. It's too early to tell but I'd also like to know if I just stepped into a rabbit hole!