PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on dovetail saw.

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-09-2016, 5:36 PM
I almost won an auction on ebay on a Lie Nielsen dovetail saw but was outbid the last second. Im almost happy that happened since I prefer a vintage. But I need help because Im a novice.
Which brand to look for. ?
Ppi?

This will be my first dovetail saw so I want it to be kind of an allround.

Mike Brady
01-09-2016, 5:50 PM
I'm not here to tell you what to like, but the Lie-Nielson saw is excellent. I would suggest a new saw as opposed to one that needs work because you state that this is your first joinery saw. Like any edge tool, they only work if sharp. I have seen many used L-N saws for sale but not at any kind of deep discount. You would pay a hundred for one, I'm sure. The Lee Valley saw is a lower price, but it is a compromise in its appearance; (my opinion).

lowell holmes
01-09-2016, 6:15 PM
The pedigree of the Lie Nielsen is thoroughbred. IMHO, you can't go wrong with it.
The reason the for prices of used LN saws is that they are good. For a long time, they were considered to be a fantasy saw.
They were when I bought mine.

I would consider Ron Bontz.

Patrick Chase
01-09-2016, 6:18 PM
I'm not here to tell you what to like, but the Lie-Nielson saw is excellent. I would suggest a new saw as opposed to one that needs work because you state that this is your first joinery saw. Like any edge tool, they only work if sharp. I have seen many used L-N saws for sale but not at any kind of deep discount. You would pay a hundred for one, I'm sure. The Lee Valley saw is a lower price, but it is a compromise in its appearance; (my opinion).

The LV saws are certainly non-traditional and therefore polarizing, but in my experience if you ignore appearance and get down to work they're very good for the money. The only saw I have that was unarguably better out of the box without any tune-up on my part was my Bad Axe sash saw, but then again you must pay dearly if you want craftsmanship on the level Mark Harrell delivers (unless Stewie is feeling particularly generous :-).

The difference between the LV and its L-N counterpart is just about the clearest example you will find of the contrast between their respective creators' approaches. As always it's a matter of the buyer's tastes and objectives.

EDIT: For that matter the Bad Axe was better out of the box than (I think) I can achieve via hand tuning, even copying Mark's angles.

paul cottingham
01-09-2016, 6:59 PM
I have a Bad Axe sash saw, a Lie-Nielsen carcass saw, and a LV dovetail saw. The bad axe is my favorite saw hands down. BUT dollar for dollar, the LV dovetail saw runs circles around it.

part of this is my aesthetic, i prefer older saws, but (as i am on a tight, tight tool budget) i use whatever saw works best for the money, and i dont really care what a tool looks like as well as does the job. I got by bad axe and LN saws in trades, so the cost isn't a factor, but dollar for dollar you absolutely cant beat the LV saws. In my opinion, of course.

Stewie Simpson
01-09-2016, 7:29 PM
At au$245.00 for a hand crafted 14 inch Tiger Myrtle Backsaw, I make no apologies for my high prices.

And no, I am not chasing extra sales.

Stewie;

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/swagman001/small%20handle%20tiger%20myrtle/_DSC0101_zpsxtgmqovc.jpg (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/swagman001/media/small%20handle%20tiger%20myrtle/_DSC0101_zpsxtgmqovc.jpg.html)

Patrick Chase
01-09-2016, 7:35 PM
At au$245.00 for a hand crafted 14 inch Tiger Myrtle Backsaw, I make no apologies for my high prices.

Stewie;

That's actually REALLY generous at current exchange rates...

ken hatch
01-09-2016, 7:47 PM

Stewie;

Stewie,

You are about 100 AUD too cheap. I'll PM you and order one today. If the tote will fit a 3 3/4" palm and it is not already sold it is now.

ken

Stewie Simpson
01-09-2016, 8:00 PM
That's actually REALLY generous at current exchange rates...

Patrick. My values have always been directed towards encouraging others to make their own. As such, most of my backsaw posts are tutorial based.

Stewie;

Stewie Simpson
01-09-2016, 8:19 PM
Stewie,

You are about 100 AUD too cheap. I'll PM you and order one today. If the tote will fit a 3 3/4" palm and it is not already sold it is now.

ken

Ken. The backsaw shown has already been sold. I have read your pm.

regards Stewie

Stew Hagerty
01-09-2016, 9:07 PM
I aught myself how to sharpen saws. I bought a DVD, and old saw vise, some files and went to town. I have several vintage Disston saws, as well as three very old, but in in excellent condition, Mathieson & Son saws from Scotland. After sharpening, every one of them is a great saw.
That said, I also own 3 LV saws (fine & course dovetail saws & a small crosscut). I typically use them when I need higher precision. They have thinner plates than vintage saws. But except for dovetails and some fine crosscutting, I use my old saws.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2016, 9:16 PM
I would consider Ron Bontz.

+1 on that. I have one at 14ppi and it is among my favorites to use.

jtk

Patrick Chase
01-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Patrick. My values have always been directed towards encouraging others to make their own. As such, most of my backsaw posts are tutorial based.

Stewie;

Understood and appreciated.

Hopefully it was clear that "generous" in this context means "low" as in "generous to the buyer". I'm sure that's perfectly clear, just like "dollars to donuts"... :-)

You could have asked $au300 for that saw and it would have been a bargain. Rob Cosman is selling his smaller and mass-produced (injection molded handle) *dovetail* saws for the equivalent of $au305...

John Kananis
01-10-2016, 1:47 AM
Lasse: There's lots of good vintage stuff out there to choose from but if you're just starting out with hand saws and $ is a concern (as others have already said) the LV line is VERY hard to beat (I have just about all of them).

Stewie: you are a bit humble in your pricing, buddy - your work is outstanding. Also, thank you for providing such detailed threads; I enjoy them.

Patrick: What do you think of Cosman? I received one of those trial memberships and just plain had a hard time getting through the material (I don't mean it was challenging - some actually informative) just hard to stick with, watch, um I don't know the word I'm looking for - just not my style?... (EDIT: Sorry, taking this just a tad OT)

Stewie Simpson
01-10-2016, 2:27 AM
Patrick. The price I stated is the normal price I charge for a backsaw of that dimension, regardless of the handle wood.

I just choose not to commit above 1 or 2 forward orders.

Stewie;

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-10-2016, 2:29 AM

Stewie;

I would love to make my own. Perhaps start with the handle and fit it to a blade and brass back. Are you selling yours as a kit ? Is there a website ?

Stewie Simpson
01-10-2016, 3:02 AM
Lasse. I don't bother with kits. I would recommend you make contact with Ron B or Isaac S.

Stewie;