PDA

View Full Version : Favorite tool

lowell holmes
01-09-2016, 3:58 PM
My favorite tool defined by it has to be in my tool apron or else I go looking for it, is my Rabone 1465 slide caliper.

Do you have one? Just curious.... . . . . . .

Stewie Simpson
01-09-2016, 8:10 PM
A sharp lead pencil; A4 paper; a steel ruler; and some curve templates. :rolleyes:

Jeffrey Martel
01-09-2016, 8:34 PM
Whichever tool I have that does the current needed job best.

Jim Koepke
01-09-2016, 8:58 PM
Picking a favorite tool is like picking a favorite child.

It changes depending on what is being done. A few of my planes at times. A couple of saws. There are a few chisels that come to mind when thinking of favorites. Even one of my rulers has a special place on my imaginary list of favorites.

jtk

Bill Houghton
01-09-2016, 9:45 PM
I concur with Jim. No one favorite in my shop.

Jebediah Eckert
01-09-2016, 10:02 PM
LN 102 block plane and a 4" square.

Randy Karst
01-09-2016, 10:19 PM
I'm in-sync with Jedediah, however swapping the 4" square for my 9" combination square.

paul cottingham
01-09-2016, 11:16 PM
A block plane (LV apron plane, actually) a caliper or my 1/2" chisel.

probably my all around favorite tool, though, is probably a 6" set of dividers. Use them for everything.

Patrick Chase
01-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Wow, favorite tool. that's a tough call.

It's so hard to choose between my ROS and my biscuit jointer, after all.

(sorry, I can't resist trolling this thread just a bit)

EDIT: I'm going to have to go with Stewie - markout comes first. Without those the rest are useless anyway. I also use pencils (actually 2 mm lead holders) more than I care to admit.

Reinis Kanders
01-10-2016, 1:12 AM
I like chisels. Chisel and hammer, all you really need in life:)

James Baker SD
01-10-2016, 1:30 AM
The one I always puts a smile on my face when I use it is my Konrad Sauer panel plane.

Derek Cohen
01-10-2016, 3:39 AM
About a year ago I discovered a hobby scalpel that belonged to my grandfather. That would make this over 50 years old. It is the only tool I have that belongs to my side of the family (the other is a Stanley #3 that belonged to my FIL). The make is common enough - Swan Morton- but it took me all this time to find replacement blades. Now I have a lifetimes worth!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Scalpel/knife1_zpshbdda6su.jpg

This looks almost identical to the current model - obviously a good design does not change - but the inscribed name on mine is in a different script to the current version.

The blade is very similar to the Stanley advocated by Paul Sellers. the knife is great for inscribing fine, deep lines scored against a square. It is double bevelled and not to be used for dovetails as it requires tilting.

Regards from Cornwall

Derek

Frederick Skelly
01-10-2016, 7:28 AM
Well, if it has to fit in my apron :) I'd say it's a 3-way tie between my LV 4" double square, my marking knife and a 6" Ulilitas hook rule I bought from LV. (Been looking for a nice 6" rule for some time. Fell in love with this one.)

lowell holmes
01-10-2016, 7:43 AM
A block plane (LV apron plane, actually) a caliper or my 1/2" chisel.

probably my all around favorite tool, though, is probably a 6" set of dividers. Use them for everything.

In addition to my caliper, I keep a LV apron plane in my tool apron.

Terry Beadle
01-10-2016, 9:11 AM
My favorite tool is a plane made by Steve Knight several years ago. It's a small smoother made with blood wood with burly beauty. The blade stays sharp for a long while as it's a smoother and not a jack. I do have a 17 in jack with adjustable mouth ( it's a woodie ) that he also made but the Blood Wood smoother is just elegant.

I'm really not plane carzy .... hoot!

Pat Barry
01-10-2016, 9:26 AM
For general measure and marking its a simple 12 ft tape measure and mechanical pencil with 0.5 mm lead (never tried 2 mm lead like Patrick - that's more like a crayon IMO). Also, the basic 6 inch square and homemade marking knife

Jebediah Eckert
01-10-2016, 9:37 AM
I must ammend my response. This is my absolute favorite tool along with a small tack hammer. Both belonged to my grandfather. I have pictures when I was 4 years old using the hammer. The hammer is still in use, and at 99 my grandfather is still going strong. I have older memories of the hammer but the ruler was really specially when he gave it to me in my 20's. It almost never gets used. At 99 he just recently gave me the history of the ruler. It belonged to his father and was made in New Hartford CT, coincidentally the next town over. The company sold their ruler patterns to Stanley. We took a drive and he knew exactly where the factory was, although long out of business, it still stands.

lowell holmes
01-10-2016, 9:45 AM
I attended a Paul Sellers class, "Furniture Making With Hand Tools". That was my introduction to Neander wood working.
There was basic tools on each workbench to be used in the class. The marking knife was a box cutter, which had to be tilted.
I have marking knives, but quite frequently I will reach for one of the box cutters on my bench.

It will scribe a extremely sharp, fine, and deep line.

I must say that often the tool I pick up and use is subject to the mood I'm in at the moment.

Jebediah Eckert
01-10-2016, 10:08 AM
And the hammer ......

Frederick Skelly
01-10-2016, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=Jebediah Eckert;2514429]I must ammend my response. This is my absolute favorite tool along with a small tack hammer. Both belonged to my grandfather. I have pictures when I was 4 years old using the hammer. The hammer is still in use, and at 99 my grandfather is still going strong. I have older memories of the hammer but the ruler was really specially when he gave it to me in my 20's. It almost never gets used. At 99 he just recently gave me the history of the ruler. It belonged to his father and was made in New Hartford CT, coincidentally the next town over. The company sold their ruler patterns to Stanley. We took a drive and he knew exactly where the factory was, although long out of business, it still stands.[QUOTE]

What a great story. I'd cherish both of those tools, particularly since he gave them to me himself while he was alive. Thanks for sharing that one!
Fred

Bob Glenn
01-10-2016, 11:20 AM
Draw knife.

mike holden
01-10-2016, 11:27 AM
By that criteria I have no favorite tool - no pockets in my apron.

Mike

Bill White
01-10-2016, 4:24 PM
Have an old Stanley combo square, shop made marking knife, Pexto 1/2" chisel, Westcott 12" ruler.
These are my first-to-grab tools. Of course, there are much more accurate items that will be used for other jobs.
Bill

Gary Herrmann
01-10-2016, 6:08 PM
Pick a chisel, any chisel.

lowell holmes
01-10-2016, 6:30 PM
Draw knife.
Draw knives are neat and I add spoke shaves. When you are shaping back splats for a chair, twist as well as bow is required. And, the two splats are opposite hand.
At that time, shaves are my favorite tool.:)

Patrick Chase
01-10-2016, 10:55 PM
For general measure and marking its a simple 12 ft tape measure and mechanical pencil with 0.5 mm lead (never tried 2 mm lead like Patrick - that's more like a crayon IMO). Also, the basic 6 inch square and homemade marking knife

You don't use the 2mm lead as-is. You either use a pointer (http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-Rotary-Lead-Pointer-ANALP41/dp/B001DI8FSM) to bring it to a sharp conical point (finer than a 0.3 mm lead, which is my second choice), or sandpaper to bring it to a chisel edge that you can use alongside a rule as you would a knife.

Stew Denton
01-10-2016, 11:12 PM
Hi All,

That is tough question, kind of like "pick your favorite grandkid," which I couldn't do....they are all my favorites.

That said, it would probably be a Stanley 605 bedrock jack plane that was my dads. I like it, and use it a lot when working on a project that needs it, but the link to my dad is the key. I cleaned it up, and bought a correct type age iron for it, so it is now restored with all of the correct type parts. I think that it was the first plane I restored.

Stew

Roy Lindberry
01-11-2016, 12:26 AM
My favorite tool defined by it has to be in my tool apron or else I go looking for it, is my Rabone 1465 slide caliper.

Do you have one? Just curious.... . . . . . .

My workbench.

If that doesn't count as a tool, then I'm stumped. Probably my Bailey 4 1/2.

al heitz
01-11-2016, 1:46 AM
It has to be my radio and the soothing background music it puts out. It keeps my mind on a level plane. Can't work without it. After that, probably my scroll saw, drill press, and table router ... and those old t-shirts for applying Arm-R-Seal.

Jim Koepke
01-11-2016, 1:48 AM
It has to be my radio and the soothing background music it puts out. It keeps my mind on a level plane. Can't work without it. After that, probably my scroll saw, drill press, and table router ... and those old t-shirts for applying Arm-R-Seal.

+1 on that. My iPod bit the dust and for a couple of weeks it was the limited radio available in my area.

Fortunately it was repairable and is now back playing music in the shop.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
01-11-2016, 6:11 PM
LN 102 block plane and a 4" square.

Another vote for my LN102, but with my Starret 4" combo square.

lowell holmes
01-11-2016, 7:18 PM
Ray,
I do have the Rabone 1265 caliper. It's a nice tool. If any one wants one they are available on the great auction site.

Denny Tudor
01-11-2016, 9:47 PM
My ever faithful stanley #3 . Does every thing for me .

Second is my Stanley 10-049 - again does everything from marking to cutting tape to getting splinters out.

Paul Sidener
01-13-2016, 5:11 PM
That is a tough call. It is either my Bedrock 604 or Lie Nielsen 60 1/2.

lowell holmes
01-13-2016, 6:21 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Sidener;2516065]That is a tough call. It is either my Bedrock 604 or Lie Nielsen 60 1/2.[/QUOTEIII\

I know your pain. Like you, I have both planes.:) I think my apron plane edges them out.

John K Jordan
01-13-2016, 6:28 PM
A sharp lead pencil; A4 paper; a steel ruler; and some curve templates

Since I can remember, mine has been a blank sheet of paper, plain, lined or grid. Plus, of course, pencil, pen, brush, marker, blood, charcoal... something to draw, write, and cipher with!

JKJ

Scott E Johnson
01-14-2016, 2:14 AM
Most used: LN 102 & LV 4" adj square. And the 2mm lead holder.
Best thing in all of woodworking: Clifton #5. With a little wax on the sole.

My follow up question is this: what's the one thing you have that you waited years to get and then when you finally got it you really regretted waiting so long?

For me it was either the Oneida 3hp cyclone or that darned LV 4" square, which really should have been a day one purchase. That is the price we self-taught knuckleheads pay-- took years to understand how important one fundamental tool can be.

Tony Zaffuto
01-14-2016, 5:50 AM
Got to think for a while about that last question Scot, but I will alter it a bit to "What tool or tools do you wish you had learned to use years earlier?". For me it was a drawknife and my spokeshaves. Or maybe we should ask "What tool do you wish you had used much less years earlier?". For me I wish I ignored tape rules-accuracy improved muchly after using dividers and/or story sticks.

Chris Hachet
01-14-2016, 7:58 AM
Hi All,

That is tough question, kind of like "pick your favorite grandkid," which I couldn't do....they are all my favorites.

That said, it would probably be a Stanley 605 bedrock jack plane that was my dads. I like it, and use it a lot when working on a project that needs it, but the link to my dad is the key. I cleaned it up, and bought a correct type age iron for it, so it is now restored with all of the correct type parts. I think that it was the first plane I restored.

Stew

Not a bedrock, but I have been using the same Stanley #5 for about 30 years now.....if the shop was burning and I could only save one tool, that would be the one.

Stanley Covington
01-14-2016, 8:52 AM
Starrett No.92 Carpenter's Dividers. Purchased in 1992 in San Mateo, CA. Excellent heirloom tool worth every penny.

http://sigma.octopart.com/41897425/image/Starrett-92-9.jpg

Chris Hachet
01-14-2016, 10:18 AM
Most used: LN 102 & LV 4" adj square. And the 2mm lead holder.
Best thing in all of woodworking: Clifton #5. With a little wax on the sole.

My follow up question is this: what's the one thing you have that you waited years to get and then when you finally got it you really regretted waiting so long?

For me it was either the Oneida 3hp cyclone or that darned LV 4" square, which really should have been a day one purchase. That is the price we self-taught knuckleheads pay-- took years to understand how important one fundamental tool can be.

I have so lusted after the Clifton bench planes....

Jim Koepke
01-14-2016, 1:41 PM
For me I wish I ignored tape rules-accuracy improved muchly after using dividers and/or story sticks.

+1 on this. Cut to match works much better for me than cutting to a mark from a tape measure.

jtk

Prashun Patel
01-14-2016, 1:58 PM
My LN102. It's such a reliable and versatile workhorse.
It's widely under-appreciated as a convex curve-fairer. It's my favorite shaping tool by a mile.

The best value tool I have is a beater Stanley #5 Frankenjack plane. It scrubs, it smooths and the old, pitted, bent, dirty blade stays sharp forever. Every time I pick it up I think, "What a tough old bird you are. Not too pretty, but I'd take you to the dance any day."

Tony Zaffuto
01-14-2016, 3:45 PM
Great thread, and the longer it goes on, the more you think when you pick up any tool! My LN 102 remains at the top, but it seems every project has a few other tools also used. Another is my now favorite chisel, a LV PM-V11, 5/8". I've honed it back about 1/4" now, and the steel has really come into its own. Another item is a small pencil sharpener (can't remember the name). Later tonight or tomorrow I'll have some more favorites!

Darrell LaRue
01-14-2016, 9:01 PM
My favourite tool? It's not the one I use the most, but it gets pushed across nearly every piece of wood that falls on my workbench. Just your basic off-brand transitional plane, a copy of the common-as-dirt Stanley #26, this one made by Hunt Mfg Co.

Jim Koepke
01-14-2016, 11:41 PM
The best value tool I have is a beater Stanley #5 Frankenjack plane. It scrubs, it smooths and the old, pitted, bent, dirty blade stays sharp forever. Every time I pick it up I think, "What a tough old bird you are. Not too pretty, but I'd take you to the dance any day."

Very well said Prashun. Two of my old Stanley planes, a #4 & #5, are a couple of my ugly ducklings who get used more than msot of the others. The others aren't belles of the ball either.

jtk

Mike Allen1010
01-16-2016, 2:54 AM
About a year ago I discovered a hobby scalpel that belonged to my grandfather. That would make this over 50 years old. It is the only tool I have that belongs to my side of the family (the other is a Stanley #3 that belonged to my FIL). The make is common enough - Swan Morton- but it took me all this time to find replacement blades. Now I have a lifetimes worth!

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Scalpel/knife1_zpshbdda6su.jpg

This looks almost identical to the current model - obviously a good design does not change - but the inscribed name on mine is in a different script to the current version.

The blade is very similar to the Stanley advocated by Paul Sellers. the knife is great for inscribing fine, deep lines scored against a square. It is double bevelled and not to be used for dovetails as it requires tilting.

Regards from Cornwall

Derek

Interesting thread, I'm always keen to see what my fellow Neanderthals keep close at hand.

Ok Derek, you win. Come on who doesn't love a tool inherited from their grandfather?:). I have an embarrassing hand saw problem, but my favorites are an 1890's Disston #7 with my grandfathers name proudly etched into the plate and a Sandvick Dragon saw from my wife grandfather. Can't explain it, But I involuntarily smile every time I use them.

Although I'm not a psychologist, I'm guessing this means my kids are destined to end up giving my tools away when I'm gone. I hope they go to someone who will appreciate them.

My wife grandfather ran a cabinet makers shop in NYC for 40 years. I meet my wife when we were in college, about 10 years after her grandfather passed and his shope was liquidated . At thatvtime I was a beginning woodworker and would have given body parts to just see some of his tools!

BTW, I note your familiar sign off now reads regards from Cornwall. I trust you are enjoying a well deserved summer holiday from Perth?

Derek Cohen
01-16-2016, 4:04 AM
Hi Mike

Yes, we are travelling around the UK - well, that means London, Edinburgh and Loch Loman, Yorkshire (visiting family), and Cornwall. We are back in London for a week, then return to Perth. Bloody cold time of the year to travel, but it is when the kids in Oz take long school vacation, and I take advantage of this to close my practice.

Derek (missing a warm Perth)

John K Jordan
01-16-2016, 9:11 AM
I'm guessing this means my kids are destined to end up giving my tools away when I'm gone. I hope they go to someone who will appreciate them.

Mike, I can't imagine my kids wanting any of my shop tools to use! To cover all bases, you might check with your lawyer. Mine wrote a clause into my will providing for my hand-written note to be considered when closing the estate. That way I can specify what should be done with certain tools and things, where to send the horses and llamas, what to do with the piano and electronics. He said I could change this note at any time. This way wood can be donated to the turning club, a lathe to a children's school shop, microscopes to my favorite vet, oscilloscopes to the makers club, etc.

JKJ