PDA

View Full Version : Do you buy both right and left-handed tools.?

Frederick Skelly
01-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Lee Valley (and probably others) sometimes make two versions of the same tool - a right hand version and a left hand version. Until recently I thought that was only to accommodate both "kinds" of people. Then someone (Patrick Chase?) mentioned that he has both versions of some tools so he can adjust to the grain direction. So that got me wondering how many other folks do that and I'm submitting this poll to find out. I'm just plain curious.

Phil Mueller
01-09-2016, 12:42 PM
I guess I wasn't even aware there was such a choice. Being left handed, I've often wondered if that's why I can't seem to hand saw a straight line. I certainly would like to think that's the case:rolleyes:

Jim Koepke
01-09-2016, 1:03 PM
Most of my old tools allow for being set up left or right handed. The Stanley 45s after about 1895 could be set up either way. They are a little awkward left handed, but can still work.

Being left handed, I've often wondered if that's why I can't seem to hand saw a straight line. I certainly would like to think that's the case

This may be a problem with eye dominance. Someone posted about it here in the last year, if my memory is working. Because of my stance when sawing right handed my left eye becomes dominate. Before realizing this and figuring out how to correct for it my sawing always drifted to one side. Try closing one eye and then the other with some practice cuts to see if that changes anything.

jtk

Allen Jordan
01-09-2016, 1:04 PM
I have the right and left iron edge-trimming planes from lee valley so I can trim box bottoms and do other squaring tasks with any grain orientation. I love using those planes.

Tony Zaffuto
01-09-2016, 1:21 PM
I have the right and left iron edge-trimming planes from lee valley so I can trim box bottoms and do other squaring tasks with any grain orientation. I love using those planes.

Same here, but one LV and one LV! Also have 3 coping saws-one set straight, one set to cast to the right and one to the left. If I think hard, Improbably have a few more handed tools!

Bill Houghton
01-09-2016, 2:07 PM
I'm left-handed, but, like most lefties, I've learned to survive in a right-handed world. I did buy right and left Stanley 98/99 planes, and, if I ever get things like the LV edge-jointing plane and can afford it, I'll probably get both hands. But for plow planes and the like, I just use the rightie planes, as I've learned to do over many years.

george wilson
01-09-2016, 2:08 PM
Phil: I am left handed,and can saw a line perfectly. You just need to develop more skill.

Ray Bohn
01-09-2016, 2:25 PM
I just learned this from a post on Woodnet by AHill. I would think this would also apply to cleaning up tenons.

"You will find most skew planes are offered in a RH or LH version. Used correctly, the leading edge of the blade would be on the inside of the rabbet. That way, the plane will want to hug the side of the vertical, keeping it in contact with the inside corner of the rabbet throughout the cut."

Patrick Chase
01-09-2016, 2:43 PM
Lee Valley (and probably others) sometimes make two versions of the same tool - a right hand version and a left hand version. Until recently I thought that was only to accommodate both "kinds" of people. Then someone (Patrick Chase?) mentioned that he has both versions of some tools so he can adjust to the grain direction. So that got me wondering how many other folks do that and I'm submitting this poll to find out. I'm just plain curious.

Yeah, that was me.

I have R+L in both skew block and skew rabbet planes, and choose between them to optimize for grain.

I don't have R+L in my shooter for three reasons:

1. In that case (unlike with, say, the skew block) it's ergonomically more difficult to use the wrong-handed plane.
2. I've never encountered an along-grain use case where I couldn't just reverse the workpiece on the shooting board. I can conceive of some but they don't arise for me and with what I do.
3. Shooters are bloody expensive

Patrick Chase
01-09-2016, 2:49 PM
I just learned this from a post on Woodnet by AHill. I would think this would also apply to cleaning up tenons.

"You will find most skew planes are offered in a RH or LH version. Used correctly, the leading edge of the blade would be on the inside of the rabbet. That way, the plane will want to hug the side of the vertical, keeping it in contact with the inside corner of the rabbet throughout the cut."

Yes, they're supposed to be used that way. For that matter one of the skewed planes I use (LV skew block) can only flush-cut along the side with the leading edge of the blade skew.

Note however that tenon-cleaning is done across the grain so tearout isn't a concern, and that means there's no benefit from having both LH+RH planes in that case. You just orient the work to put the flush side of your plane along the shoulder and go to work. Having both is only of benefit when you're working along the grain, for example rabbeting long-grain surfaces.

Tom Vanzant
01-09-2016, 2:53 PM
Phil, my daughter is left-handed, which is her explanation for being "unable" to drive a stick shift.
OTOH, all my bench planes and chisels are ambidextrous.

Patrick Chase
01-09-2016, 2:58 PM
One other remark: If your work is larger and if you're willing to give up blade skew, then a Jack Rabbet like the 10-1/4 (I recently received the LN version) offers useful options for tearout control. It can cut either direction equally well and has a traditional cap iron and mouth adjustments.

A bevel-up Jack Rabbet with a high-bevel blade would also work (though note that the LN version doesn't have an adjustable mouth).

George Bokros
01-09-2016, 3:17 PM
The only left handed tool I have is left handed monkey wrench.

mike holden
01-10-2016, 11:31 AM
I got "Schwarz'ed" when LV brought out their moving fillister planes. Chris suggested both hands would be useful. I sharpened the left hand and there it sits.

John Gornall
01-10-2016, 12:03 PM
My friend is right handed but bought the "left hand" LV plow plane. He insists this is the "right hand" plane and prefers cutting on the far side of the board with the fence away from him. He does good work. Nice to gave choices.

Phil Mueller
01-10-2016, 12:48 PM
Jim, "unfortunately", I am definitely left eye dominant. I think George hit the nail on the head...just need more skill!

Jim Davis
01-10-2016, 12:49 PM
The only left handed tool I have is left handed monkey wrench.
George, I'll bet you also have a full set of left-handed chisels and gouges.... :)

Jim Koepke
01-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Jim, "unfortunately", I am definitely left eye dominant. I think George hit the nail on the head...just need more skill!

After it was brought up in a thread here I paid a bit more attention to my sawing in the shop. My surprise was my left eye seems to dominate when sawing right handed. I have been sawing left handed of late, but am not as practiced from that side so the jury is still out.

jtk

Mel Fulks
01-10-2016, 1:11 PM
Left handed is more of a mixed brain dominance than an opposite to being right handed. Many left hand writers shoot right and play right hand guitar out of natural ease, not adapting.

Derek Cohen
01-10-2016, 1:18 PM

There are some instances where a handed plane does make a difference. For example, I do use edge planes at times, and these do need to follow the grain direction. Having both sides is important in this case. The point is, when the finished surface is relevant, then so is handedness. By contrast, when the surface is not visible, and tearout will not matter, such as with a groove, then the focus is on minimising spelching of the sidewalls, which is done by knifing lines deeply. Sometimes one needs to first chisel a shallow recess. This way, I have planed grooves against the grain with both plough and router plane. The other occasion when handedness does matter is when a rebate or plough plane is restricted from use by the fence, tht is, when the plne will only work when the fence is on the other side of the body. This may occur with some mouldings. There are plough planes specially designed for windows.

Regards from Cornwall

Derek

Patrick Chase
01-10-2016, 1:34 PM
Left handed is more of a mixed brain dominance than an opposite to being right handed. Many left hand writers shoot right and play right hand guitar out of natural ease, not adapting.

Yep, this right. Left-handed children (I have one) initially appear to be ambidextrous.

Patrick Chase
01-10-2016, 1:36 PM
There are some instances where a handed plane does make a difference. For example, I do use edge planes at times, and these do need to follow the grain direction. Having both sides is important in this case. The point is, when the finished surface is relevant, then so is handedness. By contrast, when the surface is not visible, and tearout will not matter, such as with a groove, then the focus is on minimising spelching of the sidewalls, which is done by knifing lines deeply. Sometimes one needs to first chisel a shallow recess. This way, I have planed grooves against the grain with both plough and router plane. The other occasion when handedness does matter is when a rebate or plough plane is restricted from use by the fence, tht is, when the plne will only work when the fence is on the other side of the body. This may occur with some mouldings. There are plough planes specially designed for windows.

Regards from Cornwall

Derek

This is a much more clearly worded version of what I was trying to say in my reply. Admittedly the cases where tearout matters are a minority.

Patrick Chase
01-11-2016, 7:14 PM

OT, but... How much adjustment (if any) did you have to do to get those acceptably square?

Those edge-trimming planes are almost unique among LV's offerings in that the critical surfaces (base and fence) can't be lapped on their super duper half-million-dollar machines.I have them and it took a little bit of work with PSA sandpaper and a cast-iron 90 degree form to get them where I wanted. Obviously you can use the lateral adjustment to cant the blade, but then the base doesn't help as much as it could.

I agree that it's useful to have both for box work in particular. For everything else you can usually just flip the workpiece to get the grain oriented properly, but boxes don't allow that option once assembled.

EDIT: The "lateral adjustment" on those planes consists of nudging the blade, but you get the idea.

Dan Duperron
01-11-2016, 8:02 PM
Phil, my daughter is left-handed, which is her explanation for being "unable" to drive a stick shift.
OTOH, all my bench planes and chisels are ambidextrous.

Tom, your daughter's handedness isn't the reason...

I'm a leftie and my Subaru is a 5-speed stick. I've driven stick in Ireland, sitting on the opposite side of the car from here (and driving on the opposite side of the road). That was a bit of an adjustment. Thankfully the clutch is still on the left over there or I'd have probably gotten killed. Switching hands, OK, switching feet, that's much harder.

Phil Mueller
01-11-2016, 9:29 PM
Jim, interesting point. I'll have to give right handed sawing a try.
Come to think of it, and I know this sounds weird, but I have a hard time keeping my head in a place where my left eye can stay focused on the line. Sawing left handed my body is to the right of the cut and my right eye takes over. I need to make a bunch of cuts ad see if it's consistently moving left or right, but my recollection is it moves right. Just need more focused practice on mechanics.

Pat Barry
01-12-2016, 8:02 AM
.... I'll have to give right handed sawing a try.
Good luck with that. I couldn't saw left handed to save my life. I know because I just had surgery on my right shoulder and actually tried to do work left handed for the past few months while waiting for things to heal up to no avail. I can however use a handplane with a left handed push and shovel my driveway left handed.

Hilton Ralphs
01-14-2016, 12:32 AM
There are only two tools (that I know of) that Lee Valley sells (not makes) that are left-handed in terms of hand dominance and not grain directional.

1. 10 foot tape with with right-to-left readings. This allows you to pull out the tape with your left hand and mark with your dominant hand (right). I just wish they made one with proper measurements (you know what I mean ;) )

2. Liogier Rasps. These are specifically made with the teeth oriented for the push stroke be it left or right handed.

I try at all times to make use of both hands (not at the same time of course) but the only task that still alludes my left hand is nailing. My right hand is just too scared.