PDA

View Full Version : Talcum Powder...Cast-Iron..Rust...

Phil Winn
09-07-2005, 3:44 PM
I was talking to Powermatic Tech Support, and they suggested
Talcum Powder, sprinkle it on the cast iron table, rub-it in, then wipe it off....prevents rust, makes the wood float, and it smells nice (ok, I added the last one). Any thoughts comparing T9, Top-kote, and Talcum Powder...
Phil

George Summers
09-07-2005, 4:02 PM
I generally use a nice coat of Johnson's Paste Wax and have no problem. If I am in the middle of a job and running a lot of boards and things start getting sticky, I use baby powder. I sprinkle it on and use a chalk board eraser to spread it. When the job is over, I go back and do a new coat of paste wax. It does well getting me out of a 'bind' on ocassion.

George

Michael Ballent
09-07-2005, 4:06 PM
My formula is a light coat of T-9 let it dry on the surface the I put on Top Kote on top of that.... I find that the T-9 is sticky, but the Top-Kote makes things slide nicely... Wood Mag did a review of the various rust protectors out there and T-9 won hands down. I live in the desert but I still have see any rust on any tool that I put the T-9 on.

Robert Mayer
09-07-2005, 4:10 PM
use tar and lots of it.

Jim Hager
09-07-2005, 5:14 PM
talcum powder work wonders for me when I'm pushin plywood across the table saw. I put it on the cast iron and the outfeed table and it makes things slide real well. I keep a small shaker around in the shop at all times and refill it with a larger container from time to time. I still wax the tables often with johnson's paste wax and steel wool but the talcum powder is good when a table is a little sticky and you haven't got time to wax right then. You can also use talc on the tables in humid weather to help prevent surface rust from forming.

Doug Shepard
09-07-2005, 5:19 PM
I'm using TopKote, then baby powder applied with a chalkboard eraser, then HTC tool covers. I still have to use some WD40 and steel wool every few years to remove some very light surface rust, but I was finally able to eliminate 99% of the rust when I started also using the tool covers.

Steve Clardy
09-08-2005, 1:30 PM
I'm a talcom powder user. No wax.

Donnie Raines
09-08-2005, 1:43 PM
Not to bogart the thread...but what are you guys useing to remove rust?

I use paste wax to prevent rust...works well for me.

Steve Clardy
09-08-2005, 3:09 PM
Not to bogart the thread...but what are you guys useing to remove rust?

I use paste wax to prevent rust...works well for me.

ROS Sander, 220 grit paper

Donnie Raines
09-08-2005, 3:16 PM

..thats what I have used on a few used tools...I thought maybe there might be some "mixture" out there that would break down the rust and make the job a little quicker.

John Branam
09-08-2005, 3:21 PM
Donnie try Top Saver, made by Empire Chemicals it is sold a t Rockler. It has worked great for removing rust on my tools.

Donnie Raines
09-08-2005, 3:25 PM
Donnie try Top Saver, made by Empire Chemicals it is sold a t Rockler. It has worked great for removing rust on my tools.

Will do John...thanks for the lead.

JayStPeter
09-08-2005, 3:28 PM

Wow, you guys must have some serious rust. I use 600 grit lubed with WD40. But I don't try to get the black stain out, just get it smooth. With wax over it, the black stains don't come back right away as rust spots (unlike auto bodies).
When I restored an old jointer with some pretty heavy surface rust, I used a razor blade to scrape it off, then on to 320 grit. Forget where I read that tip (and remember thinking it didn't sound like a great idea), but it works great and kept me from grinding the flatness out of the tables with heavier abrasives.

Jay

Steve Clardy
09-08-2005, 3:34 PM
Wow, you guys must have some serious rust. I use 600 grit lubed with WD40. But I don't try to get the black stain out, just get it smooth. With wax over it, the black stains don't come back right away as rust spots (unlike auto bodies).
When I restored an old jointer with some pretty heavy surface rust, I used a razor blade to scrape it off, then on to 320 grit. Forget where I read that tip (and remember thinking it didn't sound like a great idea), but it works great and kept me from grinding the flatness out of the tables with heavier abrasives.

Jay

No serious rust Jay. That's just what I use. Only takes a minute or so to clean my table saw. Which is seldom, as I use it everday.

Donnie Raines
09-08-2005, 3:39 PM

Jay

Yeah..I do have some serious rust on one unit. I acquired a used table saw over the weekend and it has some pretty serious rust on the top. I suspect I will be useing a combo of Clardys and Johns method to prep this bad boy.

David LaRue
09-08-2005, 4:06 PM
I use a combination of T9 and Dr Sholls :o applied with chaulkboard eraser. If rust develops the talcum .. ahhem.. Dr Sholls ;) removes it. It actually (not that the PM 66 needs it) makes the top shiner. I've tried a lot of different combos but this works best for me.

To get rust off other tools (my painter used my Jointer as a place to put his wet brushes :mad: ) A combo of WD40 and Dr. Sholls took it right out. Can't even tell where the water / rust was. Works for me your mileage may vary.

CPeter James
09-08-2005, 4:09 PM
I use 3M "Green Pads" from Sam's Club on my ROS and PB Blaster. PB Blaster is a penetrating oil - sort of. Really great on rust and rusted bolts. I work on old John Deere tractors and it is the product of choice for many of us in that area.

CPete

Joe Spear
09-08-2005, 4:41 PM
Just a comment: Anything sold as "baby powder" in this country doesn't have any talcum powder in it. I think talc is now considered hazardous for babies to breathe. Baby powder usually does have, however, a lot of corn starch in it, which would attract moisture from the air and lead to rusting, if there is enough of it left on the cast iron. Look for real talcum powder: check the ingredients on the package.