PDA

View Full Version : Stuck between a rock and a soft bed

Bill Orbine
01-09-2016, 9:31 AM
I had a new Sealy mattress and motorized foundation (box spring) delivered yesterday. So slept in it last night and it's very comfortable except for the bothersome smell coming from the foundation. The entire underside of the foundation is raw exposed MDF material which I'm sure we all are very familiar with the gassing smell we commonly experience in woodworking with pressed materials. I'm smelling this all night long. The whole room smells of MDF. So I called Sealy this morning to complain, which is to say they can't do very much about it except take it back. But I want the adjustable foundation so I can sit up read books or watch TV. So I asked the person what if I masked the smell with shellac or some other finish (I think shellac is best....... as it's fast drying and fumes are gone within a few hours. I could do water based poly or anything that has low odor that dissipates quickly). I can do a couple coats in an hour on the undersides. Their response was as long as it doesn't cause any damage, such as structural, they don't see a problem with voiding the warranty if I applied a couple sealer coats to the bare MDF. The leaves me thinking on one hand or the other..... What would you do? One problem can be is that I wouldn't be able to mask the smell on the outside and top where it is covered by fabric. I don't know if just doing underside will solve the whole problem. I like this base except for the smell. What would you do?

Phil Mueller
01-09-2016, 11:06 AM
My business sells mattresses and ergo bases. We have occassionally received consumer concerns with off gassing odor from memory foam mattresses, specifically Tempur-Pedic, however, I have never in 7 years had an issue with ergo base odor. The ergo bases we offer are primarily metal framed. Brands are Tempur-Pedic, Reverie, and Legget & Platt.
You may want to ask your retailer if they offer other all metal brand basses and, if so, consider one of those for a replacement. Sealy is now owned by Tempur-Pedic, so is your base Tempur or some other brand?

Bill Orbine
01-09-2016, 11:23 AM
My business sells mattresses and ergo bases. We have occassionally received consumer concerns with off gassing odor from memory foam mattresses, specifically Tempur-Pedic, however, I have never in 7 years had an issue with ergo base odor. The ergo bases we offer are primarily metal framed. Brands are Tempur-Pedic, Reverie, and Legget & Platt.
You may want to ask your retailer if they offer other all metal brand basses and, if so, consider one of those for a replacement. Sealy is now owned by Tempur-Pedic, so is your base Tempur or some other brand?

Both mattress and base are Sealy.... The base is called "Reflexion UP Foundation". However, upon looking at the motor.... it says Tempur-Pedic even though I have a Sealy manual. No problems with the mattress.....unless the gassing from MDF overwhelms, if any.

Phil Mueller
01-09-2016, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the world of mattresses and foundations. One factory...multiple brand names.
Your ergo base is the equivalent of the Tempur Up in function - not sure if they use the exact same materials or finish. We carry the Tempur Up and have had no odor issues.
I would not alter your base in any way...would limit return/exchange options.
Here's a few options.
Ask your retailer if they sell the Tempur Up base...not Sealy's version. If they do, take a look at it and see if it uses different material...less odor potential. If so, ask to exchange your base for that one...should be no difference in price.
Option 2; give it a few days.. If the odor isn't gone in that time then look into an exchange. Typically, Ergo bases are not returnable...but an exchange for an odor issue shouldn't be a problem.