PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendation

Steve Schoene
09-07-2005, 3:39 PM
Bob Flexner;s Understanding Wood Finishing 2005 has recently been released in a revised edition. It is on better paper, with color throughout. It remains a comprehensive guide.

It does something the others don't do--it names names. That is, it makes specific comments about particular brand name products. It also categorizes a number of widely available products so you can tell more about them than from reading labels.

Lots of myth busting as well. A somewhat more technical approach than some of the other finishing how-to books, but still easy to read and easy to find the information you are looking for.

It is published by Reader's Digest/Family Handyman.

Dan Stuewe
09-07-2005, 4:10 PM
Thanks for the recomendation. I actually picked up a copy of it Sunday night (our idea of Date Night - going to a bookstore). I had a Borders gift certificate burning a hole in my wallet so I thought I finally get a book to have as a finishing reference (this was the only one on the shelf). I've spent a little time on the pages describing the use of a spray gun and it looks like it covers just about everything I'd ever want to know about finishing. After I bought it I noticed the publisher. I was a bit concerned because I find Family Handyman to focus on very simplified projects. But from what I've seen, this book will be enough for a hobbiest like me (doing a few small to medium project a year for me and family/friends).

Tom Hoffman
09-20-2005, 12:10 AM
For what it's worth, I thought Bob's book was by far the best on the subject of finishing. What makes it so good is that he explains the properties of the contents of the various products out there. That way, there is some rhyme and reason to understanding why to do certain things and not others. I highly recommend it.

Dan Oelke
09-20-2005, 5:07 PM
A hint to others - I couldn't find it on amazon at first - but then saw the link to "other editions" and the hardcover is the 2005, while the paperback is 1998

Bob Noles
09-20-2005, 7:34 PM
I received my copy a few days ago and have not been able to put it down. This is a really great book and you WILL understand finishes when reading it. I never knew how little I did know about finishes until this book arrived.