PDA

View Full Version : ADA Sign

Jeff Belany
01-08-2016, 4:26 PM
I have a single ADA sign I need done. Looking to see if anyone can recommend a supplier. I attached a JPG that shows the sign and the specs. It is a layered sign that has 2 slots for Rowmark type name plates. Has a raised number and Braille below the number.

I do the name plates for this customer but haven't ventured into Braille of laminated signs. I'd like to order this for the customer just to keep them happy. Apparently they used to get them from some veterans rehab workshop but they closed down.

Any help / suggestions appreciated.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Paul Phillips
01-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Hi Jeff, One off custom signs are never cheap and can be difficult to find, I would start with a google search for ADA signs and see if you can find someone that can do it for a reasonable price, if not let me know and my shop can do it for you, it won't be cheap though, I'm thinking $100-$150!
Good luck.

Phil Noakes
01-12-2016, 8:49 AM
Jeff,

One suggestion would be to contact Accent Signage, www.accentsignage.com (http://www.accentsignage.com) in Minneapolis. They own the patent on the braille system and sell the rites to engravers. They could, A. Make the sign for you, B. Advise you of a engravers near you that have bought the license and should be able to assist you.

Phil Noakes
Rowmark

Dan Hintz
01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
One suggestion would be to contact Accent Signage, www.accentsignage.com (http://www.accentsignage.com) in Minneapolis. They own the patent on the braille system and sell the rites to engravers. They could, A. Make the sign for you, B. Advise you of a engravers near you that have bought the license and should be able to assist you.

Accent does not own the patent to braille systems in general... they own the patent to THEIR system/method.

Just wanted to clarify before someone got the idea they have to go through Accent if they want to do Braille...

Neville Stewart
01-12-2016, 1:05 PM
You know, I was just looking at that, and thought how could they own the rights to Braille. Im guessing Phil, you didn't mean that exactly.

Jeff Body
01-12-2016, 1:06 PM
Accent does not own the patent to braille systems in general... they own the patent to THEIR system/method.

Just wanted to clarify before someone got the idea they have to go through Accent if they want to do Braille...

Thanks.....
I was like WOW, someone owns the patent to Braille.............damn

I was about to find out who holds the patent on the Alphabet

Neville Stewart
01-12-2016, 1:07 PM
Bill Gates.

Jerome Stanek
01-12-2016, 1:18 PM
Bill Gates.

But he licensed it to Steve Jobs

Glen Monaghan
01-12-2016, 1:51 PM
I thought it was Google...

Phil Noakes
01-12-2016, 2:20 PM
I stand corrected. I knew when I wrote it that it wasn't correct, but I was trying to offer a solution to Jeff. He wasn't getting a lot of options. Thanks for straightening me out.

Phil

Dan Hintz
01-13-2016, 6:03 AM
Bill Gates.

But he licensed it to Steve Jobs

But it was stolen from IBM...

Neville Stewart
01-13-2016, 9:01 AM
We need a " like " button, that's still open source isn't it...................

Dave Gabry
01-13-2016, 9:36 AM
I thought a cereal company had the rights to the alphabit.... Would that be a byte of alphabits.... (groan)

Jeff Body
01-13-2016, 1:15 PM
I thought a cereal company had the rights to the alphabit.... Would that be a byte of alphabits.... (groan)

Nope..... pretty sure it's campbell soap.

Dan Hintz
01-14-2016, 5:44 AM
Nope..... pretty sure it's campbell soap.

Food for clean living?

Jeff Belany
01-14-2016, 4:55 PM
Accent may not own the Braille but they want $2200 to license their gadget. I'd be making ADA signs for the next 2 lifetimes to make enough profit to pay the $2200. Sorry Accent, NO SALE.

Paul Phillips
01-14-2016, 5:33 PM
Jeff, it may seem expensive if you don't to much ADA work, but when you do hundreds of signs per week it very quickly becomes evident that it is worth every penny! When I'm on a roll I can do over 60 beads per minute!

Jeff Belany
01-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Paul, I real happy yo do hundreds of signs a week. Unfortunately, I don't do hundreds of signs a year and almost no ADA's. Had about 3 ADA requests in my 6 years open. Even regular Rowmark signs, badges and such, my local customers who normally use these types (Hospital, Doctor's Offices etc.) have gone to P-Touch to save money. My one big industrial in town is big enough that they do all their own signage in house. I guess that's why I was surprised that the sign I originally asked about cost so much. I assumed places that did them every day had the system down pat. Hard to see a 8"x8" sign costing $150.