PDA

View Full Version : Table saw fence conundrum

Jerome Vorndran
01-07-2016, 8:27 PM
I'm not really sure what I need from this post, just thinking out loud with some other woodworkers.

I just had a garage built and am getting my wood shop set up. I was gifted an 80's Craftsman flex-drive saw from my Dad, and while it's in very usable condition, the fence is really bad. I have to measure off the blade, half tighten, bang it square measuring off the back and front of the blade before locking it down full and pray it doesn't move by the 5th cut. I could use it like this for years like he did, but it's clumsy and takes extra time.

Second option, buying an aftermarket fence. Most I've found are several hundred bucks, and frankly, the saw isn't worth that much. If you know anything about flex drive saws, the shaft is on borrowed time and will give out eventually. It could be tomorrow or 10 years from now, and that's a $100 part that may or may not be easily sourced (I don't think Sears has them anymore). And after it croaks, if I replace it with a big new saw, I'll have 2 probably not compatible fences.

Third option, DIY fence. I can't do much worse than stock out of wood, and I have a much more complete metal shop on hand if I did a skookum build. Other than the time expense, I'd eventually have the same extra fence problem as #2.

Fourth option, plan out a dual saw setup with a shared fence. This would be pretty cool if I can pull it off, pulling extensions off, aligning both blades parallel, flattening the tops and squaring one purchased or diy fence for both. I don't know if I really need that kind of dado/rip flexibility, but I could find a suitable sibling for fairly cheap on Craigslist. I probably wouldn't care about having "the best" saw, just one that works.

Or I could just use it as is, cursing at every misalignment, and buy other equipment first. I don't know, what do you guys think?

Justin Ludwig
01-07-2016, 9:43 PM
I'd play play with option 3 before committing to option 4, because in my mind, option 4 is dependent upon a good fence when you want to do solo setups.

Welcome to the Creek!

Frederick Skelly
01-07-2016, 9:55 PM
Welcome to the Creek Jerome! Glad to have you with us.

Don't live with that fence as-is. You'll learn to hate woodworking. Been there, done that.

I'd go with option 3. If you upgrade saws, just recycle the parts into other things. As long as you don't get carried away, it won't cost you hundreds and you can chalk it up to "weekend entertainment". I've seen several plans for fences. Find one that's "good enough" for you and build it. You won't regret having a better fence.

Let us see what you end up with!
Fred

Eric Schmid
01-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Years ago I faced the same dilemma. I had an old Rockwell table saw and the fence was more than just a hassle, it was dangerous. I ended up replacing the fence with an aftermarket set up, which cost more than I could have sold the saw at the time. No regrets.

I still have the saw and the fence, but even if I didn't a fence has value on its own. It can be used on another saw or sold separately. If you can make a suitable fence, all the better. It might not have much resale value, however.

Every once in a while a Beismeyer or other aftermarket fence will show up on Craigslist. It might be worth a look.

David Eisenhauer
01-08-2016, 12:34 AM
There is no way I would live with that fence as it is. In my opinion, for power tool woodworking, a TS is the core tool and I would work at making it right. If I were fairly certain that I was going to stick with woodworking for a while, then a new (or new-to-me at any rate) saw would be my goal. A home made replacement fence might have to stop gap the situation for the time being, but a different saw would be in my future.

Rick Potter
01-08-2016, 3:22 AM
Another option is to scour craigs list for used fences. They come up pretty regularly for $50 to $100 for Sears stuff. I have even seen a whole sears saw with upgraded fence, mobile base, and a new blade for $100. Swap fences with a Sears saw, and resell the saw.

Jerome Vorndran
01-08-2016, 4:47 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was out in the shop today making workbench drawers and that cemented how much a better fence needs to be on my list. Don't worry about me giving up the hobby, I was running this very same saw since I was tall enough to see over the top. It's just been a few decades of apartment living, hand tools, and portable tools, but now I finally have a space of my own for permanent stationary tools.

Replacing the saw is inevitable, when that shaft goes, it's going to get parted out. I already have the idea in my head to mill out the top and make a bombproof router table, and the motor will get re-purposed eventually. I guess I have to think how I will approach it's replacement down the road. A big new cabinet saw is probably not going to be out of my budget, and if I plan to upgrade to that, a wooden stopgap fence would suffice. But I do have a thing for old and neglected tools, and part of me wants to try and have a go without the newest and biggest. A better fence could be re-used on the next saw, or I could revisit the dual contractor saw idea and just swap out saws.

I guess I just have some thinkin and plannin to do. In the meantime, I've got my eye on Craigslist for some other tools as well, so I'll see what I can come up with.

Bill Sutherland
01-08-2016, 8:33 AM
In my 72 years I've found that buy the best available within your means and in the long run you'll save a lot of money. A friend has a old Craftsman he agonized over for years and finally put the full Incra TS LS system on and loves it. I have a SawStop with the TS LS and I love my setup. When you add up all the money you spend on "bargains" you'll wish you just went out and got what you really wanted. Don't ask me how I know!! How many years are you going to be wood working? Divide that number into the cost of what you really want and it's pretty easy to justify. Plus, you get the added enjoyment of working with the best tools available.

Mike Null
01-08-2016, 10:29 AM
Years ago I had a Craftsman TS that I tuned and added aftermarket stuff to make it function better. Later I bought a Delta contractors saw and then a Delta hybrid. Truthfully I long for my old Craftsman with the WWII blade. The fence could be set to make perfect cuts though I had to do it every time.

I guess my recommendation would be to shop Craig's list or our classifieds for a good used saw rather than frustrating yourself with the one you have. In my view, acquiring a fence for that saw could be an effort in futility.

Welcome to SMC.

glenn bradley
01-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Interesting, even though I threw all the usual suspects at my 1970's Craftsman/Emerson saw and it worked very well, I have never longed for it to return :D.

A poor fence is a key element in the accidents that give tablesaws such a bad name. Fortunately, any Biesemeyer clone would probably be transferable to your new saw if it were available without a fence. If not, the Bies-clone would have some resale value in and of itself. In the meantime you don't risk becoming one of the walking wounded.

HTC, Grizzly, and Jet all make Bies-clones. If you want to move to something a little less "standard", Vega, Accusquare and Very Super Cool Tools all make fences. Although I have issues with each of those particular designs they may work well for you.

Shawn Pixley
01-08-2016, 4:31 PM
Interesting, even though I threw all the usual suspects at my 1970's Craftsman/Emerson saw and it worked very well, I have never longed for it to return :D.

A poor fence is a key element in the accidents that give tablesaws such a bad name. Fortunately, any Biesemeyer clone would probably be transferable to your new saw if it were available without a fence. If not, the Bies-clone would have some resale value in and of itself. In the meantime you don't risk becoming one of the walking wounded.

HTC, Grizzly, and Jet all make Bies-clones. If you want to move to something a little less "standard", Vega, Accusquare and Very Super Cool Tools all make fences. Although I have issues with each of those particular designs they may work well for you.

Glenn has given you my vote as well. I wouldn't use the saw without a decent fence. I did when I was younger. I am smarter now. Get a bies clone until you get a new saw.

Joe Calhoon
01-08-2016, 7:41 PM
Here is a easy, stout and accurate shop made fence for a table saw. This vintage Unisaw has been with me almost from day one. It gets turned on maybe once every year or so now.
The fence is simply a T square using a pipe clamp. In the front is a small dado where a sticky tape used to be. The saw had the old jet lock fence that was a pain. It used to have a wide table to rip 4' plus but got cut down after we got a slider. I think it will only rip 8" or so in its present state.

John TenEyck
01-08-2016, 10:50 PM
I still have the C-Man saw I bought when I first started woodworking. I hated that fence from the get go but it was 20+ years before I replaced it. I ended up rehabbing a 1954 Unisaw (wonderful old iron), bolting the C-Man and it together, and putting a 52" Vega Pro fence across both of them with a router table on the end. It works great for my needs of being able to handle large panels. The C-Man still can't bevel worth a hoot compared to the Uni, but I don't ask it to.

Don't wait 25 years to get a new fence.

John

scott spencer
01-09-2016, 7:19 AM
I'd go after option 3 mainly because I don't think the quality of this saw merits spending $200 on a new fence (mainly the flex drive). If you end up wanting to pursue a new fence, the Delta T3 is available from HD for $183.33, less any discounts you can muster.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/KuUAAOSwcBhWVLvC/$_57.JPG

Peter Hartman
01-10-2016, 7:44 AM
I vote for a new fence. Unless your buying new, your next saw will need one too.

Jim Andrew
01-10-2016, 10:36 AM
I started out with a used craftsman tablesaw about 40 years ago. The fellow I purchased it from had installed an old unisaw fence on it. Worked ok for years, then I looked at getting a new fence, and also a new motor, as the motor had to be rotated to get turning, and decided a new unisaw was the less expensive way to go. Of course in '04 I bought a new unisaw with the long biesemeyer fence for 1000.$ I have seen several used unisaws, and pm 66's for sale at reasonable prices in the last year.

Bill Sutherland
01-11-2016, 8:55 AM
Ask Woodman's fence aka Very Cool Tools is well made and a lot cheaper than Incra. Wood Whisperer did a review and liked it alot.

Robert Engel
01-11-2016, 9:17 AM
Why wait for the shaft to go?

You need a better saw.