PDA

View Full Version : Really Old School Saw Mill

John TenEyck
01-07-2016, 4:44 PM
The link below is to a TV show in Germany called "The last of his type." or something to that effect. It's best, obviously, if you can understand German, but it's not hard to follow what's going on even if you don't, and at about 25 minutes in length it's not a huge time commitment. The link is to a show called "The sawmill master from Gampen pass", which is in South Tirol, Austria. I learned a couple of things watching this older gentleman, who's been running this mill for 75 years that his father built, about moving large logs alone. I've been to a mill in Switzerland that works on the same principle as this one and it was fascinating to watch. There are other shows in the series as you will see if you scroll down on the page.

John

http://www.br.de/mediathek/video/sendungen/der-letzte-seines-standes/der-letzte-seines-standes-102.html

Rollie Kelly
01-07-2016, 9:55 PM
I bet that old man's hands are tougher than elk hide!
Rollie

Ted Calver
01-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Very enjoyable. I had not seen that kind of mill before. Thanks for sharing, John.

Lasse Hilbrandt
01-08-2016, 1:50 PM
Nice video.

Last year on patrol on the countryside i came by an old sawmill and I had to take a look. It turned out that the owner was an old lady of almost 80 years. She and her brother had run the sawmill for over 50 years together before the brother passed away. Now she run it alone. She was an incredible old lady.
I regret I only took one picture from the sawmill and it was of the old single cylinder diesel engine from 1926 that still ran the saw.

Todd Burch
01-08-2016, 3:32 PM
Great post John! Thanks for sharing. I watched all the videos on that page last night. I would like to spend a month with them! Not sure about that butter-gravy they ate for dinner though… ;) I believe I understood that they said it helps them with their work and helps them sleep at night.

John TenEyck
01-08-2016, 4:36 PM
Great post John! Thanks for sharing. I watched all the videos on that page last night. I would like to spend a month with them! Not sure about that butter-gravy they ate for dinner though… ;) I believe I understood that they said it helps them with their work and helps them sleep at night.

Your German, or Sud Tirol dialect, must be better than mine Todd. I completely missed that. Workingmen Germans and Austrians ate a lot of really greasy things to fuel themselves for their work, like Speck - smoked pure pork fat, think the best uncooked bacon fat you've ever had, or Griefenfett - melted pork fat and tiny bits of fried pork and spices. Get the drift. Both of them are cheap and taste great with good German rye bread, especially with a beer or shot of snaps. I don't know if it's still legal or not, but at one time workers in some German factories could drink beer while on the job. Imagine that in our current work environment.

John