PDA

View Full Version : Bathroom vanity finish that looks like raw wood

Chris Fairbanks
01-07-2016, 3:18 AM
It's time to build a few vanities for my mom's master bathroom remodel. She likes the look of this pottery barn vanity but obviously not the cost and I assume the crappy quality. Anyway she has seen this and a few other vanities that look like they are raw wood with no finish on them. It's almost like a sheenless clear coat if something exists like that. Any ideas on how to get that raw look feel but still stand up to a heavily used bathroom environment? Thanks!

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/benchwright-double-sink-console-wax-pine/?pkey=call-bath-furn-mirrors&&call-bath-furn-mirrors

Jamie Buxton
01-07-2016, 10:33 AM
That's a rustic look. Why not leave the wood without finish? Over time, it will just get more rustic. For those who like that rustic stuff, more rustic should be a good thing.

Prashun Patel
01-07-2016, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't put "no" finish on it either. There are matte sheen clear coats available. I've seen them in a couple waterbased products, specifically from Rustoleum and Varathane. These actually may be the same product.

But I can't vouch to how durable they are.

Jim Becker
01-07-2016, 11:33 AM
I agree with Prashun. In that environment, I wouldn't want bare wood. A matte finish clear coat will help preserve the wood while giving you a no-apparent-finish look and with water borne, there's very little color, if any, imparted to the material.

glenn bradley
01-07-2016, 1:05 PM
+1 on a matte finish waterborne poly. Minwax offers a satin which might be dull enough.

John TenEyck
01-07-2016, 4:27 PM
General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly comes in both flat and satin sheen, and is KCMA rated. It is water clear and sprays beautifully.

John

glenn bradley
01-07-2016, 4:31 PM
General Finishes Enduro Clear Poly comes in both flat and satin sheen, and is KCMA rated. It is water clear and sprays beautifully.

John

Thanks John. A flat WB poly; very cool.