PDA

View Full Version : Spar Urethane on top of Water Based Poly?

John Pond
01-06-2016, 9:19 PM
I did search but couldn't find this exact question - but I was wondering if I can cover a coat of General's Water Based High Performance Top Coat with a Minwax Helsman Spar Urethane. I would only be applying it to the bark, and was hoping that the General's would have the same effect that I have seen the Helmsman have on live edge bark( seems to darken bark and give it a thick and rigid protective coating) unfortunately it didn't darken the bark like I had hoped for and went on very clear, almost unnoticeable. If it is acceptable to cover with the Spar, will the Helmans still be able to darken the bark now that it is sealed? Thanks

Jim Becker
01-06-2016, 9:38 PM
Spar varnish is a long oil product and quite soft and flexible...great for boats, but not really a good finish for furniture. But if you want the darkening effect that an oil based product gives, you need to put it on BEFORE you coat with anything else. You'll get a little yellowing over time otherwise, but no actual darkening of the material since the oil can't get to it.

John Pond
01-06-2016, 9:47 PM
That is unfortunate. Could I put a paint thinner, or something else you could recommend on the bark to remove the poly and try again with something else? I like the look of the darkened bark with the Helmsman, but I am also looking to lock and attach the bark to the piece, is there something you could recommend that would have that adhesive effect?