PDA

View Full Version : What length should a 50 watt Chinese co2 laser tube be?

StuartW Wilson
01-06-2016, 7:00 PM
Hi I am researching purchasing a replacement tube, the tube in the machine is supposedly a 50 watt which is 850mm in length,my research has come up with 50 watt tubes that are 1000mm in length, this would protrude out the side of the engraver, and are much cheaper. I would obviously have to enclose the tube which i could do. There are four screws on a small panel which can be removed. I am not sure if the tube in the machine now is actually a 40 watt over powered tube sold as a 50 watt, which would have helped with its demise adding water inlet and outlet installed upside down with kinked outlet tube by manufacturer. (wont happen again:mad:) I have added a image of my laser engraver. All help appreciated in understanding more about my laser engraver. regards Stuart328787

Bert Kemp
01-06-2016, 7:04 PM
Laser tube (30W)(Length=900mm, Diameter=51mm)
Expected Life: 1200-2000 hours
Laser Tube, 30 Watt (38 Watts MAX, 30 Watts nominal)

Laser tube (40W): (Length=1010mm, Diameter=51mm)
Expected Life: 2000+ hours
Laser Tube, 40 Watt (48 Watts MAX, 40 Watts nominal)

Laser tube (60W): (Length=1200mm, Diameter=54mm)
Expected Life: 2000+ hoursLaser Tube, (71 Watts MAX, 60 Watts nominal)

Bert Kemp
01-06-2016, 7:08 PM
Looks like theres a cover on the right side of machine were the tube would extend out. They actually make a metal case for this and it bolts or screws right on.

Hi I am researching purchasing a replacement tube, the tube in the machine is supposedly a 50 watt which is 850mm in length,my research has come up with 50 watt tubes that are 1000mm in length, this would protrude out the side of the engraver, and are much cheaper. I would obviously have to enclose the tube which i could do. There are four screws on a small panel which can be removed. I am not sure if the tube in the machine now is actually a 40 watt over powered tube sold as a 50 watt, which would have helped with its demise adding water inlet and outlet installed upside down with kinked outlet tube by manufacturer. (wont happen again:mad:) I have added a image of my laser engraver. All help appreciated in understanding more about my laser engraver. regards Stuart328787

Kev Williams
01-06-2016, 7:55 PM
If I remember correctly <big disclaimer ;) -- Sheldrake and others state there is no such thing as a "true" cheap-Chinese 50w laser tube, and that most advertised-as 50w machines are simply using over-driven measurements. Like the 80w RECI in my Triumph, it tested at 110 watts, so I suppose it could be called a 100 watt tube. I read awhile back that RECI tests their tubes at 32mA, which is way above safe operating amperage.

That said (sorry), I have no idea of power to length ratios...

Bert Kemp
01-06-2016, 7:58 PM
Yep I agree Kev I seen yjay here many times that theres no such thing as a 50 watt tube:rolleyes:

If I remember correctly <big disclaimer ;) -- Sheldrake and others state there is no such thing as a "true" cheap-Chinese 50w laser tube, and that most advertised-as 50w machines are simply using over-driven measurements. Like the 80w RECI in my Triumph, it tested at 110 watts, so I suppose it could be called a 100 watt tube. I read awhile back that RECI tests their tubes at 32mA, which is way above safe operating amperage.

That said (sorry), I have no idea of power to length ratios...

StuartW Wilson
01-06-2016, 10:24 PM
So most likely It is a over driven 40 watt tube which is in my machine.So if i install a 40 watt tube which are all 850mm the same as the one installed in my machine It would be a lot cheaper, btw i have ordered a analog ammeter so i can safely run the tube. All Ideas on how to approach this issue are greatly appreciated. regards Stuart

Jeff Body
01-06-2016, 11:17 PM
I ended up cooking my stock tube and PSU. I replaced it with a 1250mm 60W tube from lightobject.

StuartW Wilson
01-07-2016, 9:42 PM
We are making bread boards and laser engraving on them we are contemplating using a 40 watt tube, as we are not cutting only lightly engraving so they can use the board for food preparation I should be able to use my psu? All help appreciated regards Stuart

Dave Sheldrake
01-07-2016, 10:40 PM
1050mm for a true 50 watt

that 850mm is an over driven 40

Julian Ashcroft
01-08-2016, 2:21 AM
We are making bread boards and laser engraving on them we are contemplating using a 40 watt tube, as we are not cutting only lightly engraving so they can use the board for food preparation I should be able to use my psu? All help appreciated regards Stuart

I engrave wood / bamboo cutting boards on a regular basis, most are vector cut and some raster. A fairly low power laser will do both well, as you will be engraving rather than cutting. I sell my cutting boards as decorative items though and tell purchasers that if they use them and clean them the engraving will come off in time.