PDA

View Full Version : Radial arm saw workstation

Jon Endres
01-06-2016, 12:23 PM
I'm trying to come up with ideas for integrating a large 1950's Delta 40C radial arm saw into a workstation, so that I'm not wasting the space to either side of the machine. I have a 35' long blank wall in my new shop and the RAS will be the 'anchor' machine for that wall. I think I can treat it like a miter saw, since I see a lot of workshops that have miter saws set up with extension tables, fences, stops, dust collection etc. However, I think I'd like to 'multitask' those tables and fences to either side of the machine. Wondering if any of you guys have also built in things such as a router table or a planer right into the workstation for a RAS or miter saw? I like to have things movable, but in this case the RAS isn't going anywhere, and I'm curious if it's feasible to make other machines more-or-less "built-in" to a permanent workstation?

Rick Potter
01-06-2016, 2:07 PM
Not fancy, but this works for me. Notice the RAS is sitting on the bench. This allows the saw table to be above the bench, where it is always clear to use. The extension to the left is only 6" deep, enough to hold any work the saw can cut (three points of contact), which is 16 1/2". This enables me to use the bench top for cutoffs, mixing paint, etc. To the left, the blue Kreg Foreman is on the same plane as the fence and RAS table. To the right, the chop saw is also on the same plane. To use the chop saw for long pieces, I simply move the RAS blade out, and slide long pieces behind the blade, using the fence and stop system.

The RAS is on the DC system, but the chop saw is on the pictured shop vac/ Clearvue setup. Eventually there will be a complete 2" PVC setup off the shop vac.

As far as other tools being used in the module, it would be easy to have open spaces under the unit for a pull out (or flip up) router table, spindle sander, etc. Also consider things like a slide out mortiser or benchtop drill press behind the end of the RAS fence. My fence extends to the left less than 4'. This gives me the extra room behind the line of the fence which a longer fence would block. For the work I do, this is long enough for most of my cutting, and I simply mark and cut longer boards rather than use the stop. Hope the last sentence made sense.....a longer fence would just be in the way most of the time.

Dan T Jones
01-06-2016, 4:53 PM
Nice setup Rick.
Dan