PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Box - a brother remembered

Jon Olson
09-07-2005, 10:22 AM
This post is not to bum you out but to show my most resent WW project.

I lost my brother to a heart attack on May 27th. He was only 35 yrs old. I wanted to make the box for his ashes even though I had never made a box before. I designed the box and had my parents approve it. It utilizes a simple top and mitred keys. Materials - Sepele and Ebony. We had the internment on Saturday.

He is missed everyday.

Jon

George Robin
09-07-2005, 10:42 AM
Jon,

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss.

You made a beautiful place for him to rest.

I know first hand that what you did is truly a labor of Love. You see, I lost my father this past April to brain cancer and my mother asked me to make him a box. I just have a difficult time every time I go to the shop to begin it.

Thank you for sharing your work

George

Bernie Weishapl
09-07-2005, 11:00 AM
Jon,

That is a beautiful box and your brother would be proud. I am sorry about your loss. I had to build a box for my mother-in-law. It was one the toughest thing I have ever had to do. I know how you feel. We lost my mother, my wifes mother and her stepmother in the last year and a half. In between the deaths we put my dad and her dad in a home. It never gets easy. Time and family will help the healing.

Bernie

Jeff Sudmeier
09-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Jon,

That is a wonderful tribute to your brother! I am sure it was hard for you to make, but it was worth it!

Roy Wall
09-07-2005, 12:56 PM
The box is perfect with seamless joints........beautiful work.

Our prayers are with you. Thanks for sharing with us.

Keith Burns
09-07-2005, 1:06 PM
Wonderful tribute. I made boxes for both my Mom and Dad. I found comfort in doing it and felt it was an honor. I hope you do to.

Donnie Raines
09-07-2005, 1:14 PM
Excellant job Jon. I am sure it was difficult to build this, knowing it's intended purpose. I suspect that your brother is fully aware of your efforts... ;)

Vaughn McMillan
09-07-2005, 1:21 PM
Very nice work, Jon, built under most difficult conditions. As Roy mentioned, the joints look perfect...and I like the simple design with the mitered keys.

Very sorry for your loss -

- Vaughn

Jim Stastny
09-07-2005, 7:10 PM
Jon,

My sympathies to you and your family. The box is a great tribute to your brother, truly a labor of love that will last forever.
Blessings

Frank Pellow
09-07-2005, 7:55 PM
Jon, my sympathies on the loss of your brother. That is a very appropriate box that you made.

Almost six years ago, I made a similar box for my first grandchild,, Christian, who succumbed to sudden infant death at the age of three months. It was difficult to make but, somehow the fact that the box was crafted by a family member made us all feel slightly better. I know that you must fell the same way.

Jim Becker
09-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Jon, that's really lovely and a perfect tribute to your brother. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Corey Hallagan
09-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Jon, beautiful work. I am sorry to hear about your loss. He would be proud. Take care,

Corey

Jules Dominguez
09-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Jon, beautiful work. I can see the love in it.

Mark Singer
09-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Jon,

Sorry to hear of your loss...Beautiful work!

Dan Forman
09-08-2005, 4:11 AM
John---Sorry for your loss. The box is beautiful, hope the work aids in your healing.

Dan

Dave Bartley
09-08-2005, 5:45 AM
John, we are sorry to hear of your loss. Our prayers are with you and your family. I went through a similar loss just a month and a half ago.

I too, was asked to build a box for my mother-in-law. Although it was a simple box to build, it was still one of the toughest projects I ever had to build.

The box you built is a beautiful tribute to your brother.

Kirk (KC) Constable
09-08-2005, 7:15 AM
It's always hard to lose someone, but 35 seems much too young. The box will be a source of comfort for years to come. Sorry for your loss. :(

KC

skip gleichman
09-08-2005, 8:07 AM
That is just plain beautiful, the gesture first and then the craftsmanship.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2005, 9:42 AM
Jon....sorry for your loss! Beautiful box!

Jon Olson
09-08-2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks all for the kind words - Design wise was dictated by the size of wall openning for the interment. Though this box was only seen for a short while (Now hidden away in the wall) it was a labor of love. It was hard to make something for such a special purpose. It was not perfect, pictures always hide so much, but it was the best I could do right know. Now its time to move on. thanks again for letting me post and for the support creekers give each other.

take care,

jon

Joe Unni
09-08-2005, 5:05 PM
Jon,

You took me by surprize...sitting down after work with a beer and SMC...I had to squash the tears.

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. The box is a wonderful tribute.

So (raising my bottle) - here's to your brother!!

-joe

Jon Olson
09-08-2005, 5:41 PM
Joe,

Just leaving work here at 3pm PST and wanted to say thanks.

Jon

Les Spencer
09-08-2005, 5:55 PM
Jon,

It is easy to see alot of love went into your beautiful box.