PDA

View Full Version : Router cabinet vent location

Chad Burkhart
01-06-2016, 9:04 AM
I am reworking my router cabinet to improve dust collection. I have a 4" port on the enclosure under the router that exits the right rear of the enclosure. My question is where is the best place to install a vent on the enclosure? Do I want it directly across from my 4" port or should it be up top closer to the router? Or another location? Just an fyi, I have a woodpecker/incra lift with cleansweep rings.

Thanks,
Chad

George Bokros
01-06-2016, 9:06 AM
My Rockler Dust Bucket on my router table has the dust outlet in the center of the back and the adjustable air port is on the left side.

John Lankers
01-06-2016, 11:47 AM
Bottom front and rear top, the front opening is adjustable to control the airflow depending on the table insert ring I'm using My goal was to draw the chips directly from the table opening into the extraction port without pulling them through the router motor. I had the port in my original setup close to the bottom of the back panel but found that to many chips got drawn into the router motor.
Edit: I think it also depends on the type of dust collector you're planning to use.

Chad Burkhart
01-06-2016, 7:22 PM
Bottom front and rear top, the front opening is adjustable to control the airflow depending on the table insert ring I'm using My goal was to draw the chips directly from the table opening into the extraction port without pulling them through the router motor. I had the port in my original setup close to the bottom of the back panel but found that to many chips got drawn into the router motor.
Edit: I think it also depends on the type of dust collector you're planning to use.

Dust collection is a grizzly 2 hp mated with a super dust deputy xl. 6" duct split down to 4" cabinet/ 2.5" fence

Lee Schierer
01-06-2016, 7:30 PM
My goal was to draw the chips directly from the table opening into the extraction port without pulling them through the router motor. I had the port in my original setup close to the bottom of the back panel but found that to many chips got drawn into the router motor.

In my experience routers pull air up through the motor from near the collet. I don't think any DC system will overcome the air flow of the fan.

Jim Dwight
01-06-2016, 8:48 PM
I agree with John and I don't think Lee has the airflow right. I think my routers pull air from the side opposite the collet and blow it out past the collet. I have two router table setups. I made the first one in the side table of my table saw. I used a box around the router just to have dust collection. But when I put the DC connection on the bottom of the box, so the DC was pulling air towards the end of the motor opposite the collet, the router got hot (a PC690). So when I built my main router table, I put a 4 inch port that pulls from up around the collet area. There is a second 2.5 inch port on the fence. Unfortunately I am using the shop vac at the moment and it doesn't do 4 inch ports, let alone both a 4 inch and a 2.5 inch. I haven't totally sorted that yet but I think what I will end up doing is downsizing the port from the collet area to 2.5 inch and using it when I am doing something like making a dado where the chips are going to tend to come down into the cabinet. If I am routing an edge, I'll use the port on the fence.

For the port around the collet, the air inlet is at the opposite end of the router so the DC (or shop vac) is assisting the fan in moving air past the router motor. Doesn't get hot now. For the port on the fence, it pulls from the area around the bit which is also where the router is blowing air out so again it will help the router cool itself.

Chad Burkhart
01-06-2016, 9:28 PM
just out of curiosity, I checked my bosch 1617 that I happen to have in the truck(garage is as far as I want to venture tonight) It pulls the air in from top of the router and blows it out on an angle from under the collet. No air flow if I hold my hand over the collet, but around the sides of that end all the air is a blowing. I am sure routers vary though. I will have to check the porter cable 7518 when I get a chance.

Jim Becker
01-06-2016, 9:44 PM
The best location is down low so that it will sweep debris across and under the router to the larger port heading to the DC. You want to calculate the approximate average area of the port up to the fence (or through the table at the bit) so you can size the "sweep" venting. The total should be somewhere near the area of your 4" port, give or take. I did that in the access door of my cabinet, both on my previous router table setup and my current one. It works well and there is generally very little debris left in the cabinet.

Ken Krawford
01-07-2016, 8:50 AM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but where can you buy ADJUSTABLE air vents?

John Lankers
01-07-2016, 10:03 AM
Not meaning to hijack this thread but where can you buy ADJUSTABLE air vents?

2" x 10" rectangular or 6" round heat registers at Walmart or Home Depot, they work great.