PDA

View Full Version : Mitersaw station

Adam Carl
01-05-2016, 11:22 PM
Finally built my dream mitersaw station. This is built based on plans from Wood Magazine. I made the fence adjustable and removable with T track from Rockler and added the Kreg Stop. The Wood fence adds 6 feet to the left of the blade and 3 feet on the right. Lastly, I made a simple block which attaches to the T track to make repetitive cuts 14 inches or less. Last step is to add the self stick tape.

Adam

Kent Adams
01-06-2016, 2:57 AM
Very very nice work!

Dan Schmidt
01-06-2016, 7:47 AM
This is outstanding - excellent work. I've been wanting to build one of these forever, and you've inspired me again. Question, I saw that Kreg also offers a beefier track -- I think they call it HD / heavy duty or something.... Did you consider that, or is this not a good option for a miter saw?

Brian Tymchak
01-06-2016, 8:29 AM
Lastly, I made a simple block which attaches to the T track to make repetitive cuts 14 inches or less.

That's a good idea! Ok to shamelessly steal that for my new MS bench?

Also, my curiosity is kicking in. How do you envision using the removable/adjustable fence? Is that to make the tables multipurpose? I would think once squared up with the fence on the MS you wouldn't want to move it.

Thanks, Brian

Michael Zerance
01-06-2016, 9:49 AM
Nice setup. I am currently working on a mobile miter saw table. Do you have a picture of the back of the fence? I am considering different options for making my fence adjustable/removable and I could use a visual.

Adam Carl
01-06-2016, 9:49 AM
I was not aware of a beefier track, this track is perfect for this use. The flip up stop has too much play in it, I will say that. There is some slop in the bolt. I might try and tighten it a bit, but some of the washer/spacers are plastic. The other stop will get used more.

This is outstanding - excellent work. I've been wanting to build one of these forever, and you've inspired me again. Question, I saw that Kreg also offers a beefier track -- I think they call it HD / heavy duty or something.... Did you consider that, or is this not a good option for a miter saw?

Adam Carl
01-06-2016, 10:05 AM
Please steal. I had the T track from the previous fence so that guided me in my decision a bit. Couple things came to mind about the removable/adjustable fence but you are correct it will stay in place the majority of the time.

1) Extra space for finishing/ drying if needed
2) With the fence pushed back/removed the t track can be used with a hold down for other activities
3) I was also a little concerned about the barn wall trueness and lining up the left and right tables. This took that out of the equation.

It is pretty fast to square up the fence so I am not too concerned.

That's a good idea! Ok to shamelessly steal that for my new MS bench?

Also, my curiosity is kicking in. How do you envision using the removable/adjustable fence? Is that to make the tables multipurpose? I would think once squared up with the fence on the MS you wouldn't want to move it.

Thanks, Brian

Adam Carl
01-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Mike, this was before I put the Kreg track on the fence. I had to change the knobs after the fact as the Kreg stop handle would not clear the hold down knobs. I probably would have made the board parallel with the floor wider and pushed the knobs out if I had to do it again.

Nice setup. I am currently working on a mobile miter saw table. Do you have a picture of the back of the fence? I am considering different options for making my fence adjustable/removable and I could use a visual.

Ben Rivel
01-06-2016, 11:59 AM
Awesome man! That does look good. May I inquire: what is the depth of the table top. Curious how much table top is needed for the Bosch glider.

Terry Hatfield
01-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Really nice work Adam! Looks great!

Chris Padilla
01-06-2016, 12:29 PM
An excellent use of that space and a nice design. Any plans for dust collection? How are you liking the Bosch glider? I kick around getting one once a year but haven't pulled the trigger yet since my 12" DeWalt CMS works just fine thus far....

Adam Carl
01-06-2016, 12:40 PM
The depth is 23 and 1/4 inches. The back of the saw is 1/2 inch from the wall. The depth from the fence to the front is about 9 inches if my memory is correct.

Awesome man! That does look good. May I inquire: what is the depth of the table top. Curious how much table top is needed for the Bosch glider.

Adam Carl
01-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Chris, I have been thinking about dust collection. I have seen some setups with a of hood under the table, which I have plenty of space to implement. I could route grooves and make it like a sanding table perhaps? May also attached an input to the collection behind the blade.

I had a 12" Dewalt slider for 10 years. Great saw. Just got the Bosch in Dec, it has slightly less capacity in the travel but it butts up against the wall which was important for me. The Bosch has a trigger safety which I am still getting used to, thumb has to pull a button before the trigger will engage. I am also getting used to a slightly different mechanism to adjust the angle, it is just different than the Dewalt. The bevel adjustment is all in the front which is very nice, it was a bit of a pain on the Dewalt with the knob behind the saw, but honestly that is not a feature I use to much.

An excellent use of that space and a nice design. Any plans for dust collection? How are you liking the Bosch glider? I kick around getting one once a year but haven't pulled the trigger yet since my 12" DeWalt CMS works just fine thus far....

Terry Hatfield
01-06-2016, 1:03 PM

Hey Chris! What's up? Long time bro. :)

Chris Padilla
01-06-2016, 1:15 PM
I see we're both still kickin' around, Terry! Nice to see you have some time/interest to post again on The Creek!

Jim Dwight
01-06-2016, 9:24 PM
Looks nice. I haven't set up the flip stops for my RAS/CMS bench yet. I have the last 4 foot piece of the base cabinet screwed together and sitting on the workbench right now but it still needs a base of PT 2x4s, some pieces of old 3/4 plywood screwed to the box for attachment to the wall and drawers. After at least the box gets installed (drawers will probably not all get made right away) the Paulk inspired two layer top will get built which will have one of his several movable stop ideas. I will probably build the one in the total station that is flush with the bench top. Paulk's idea is not to make the fence real long in terms of guiding the workpiece because it is somewhat hard to keep aligned with the metal fence of the saw. He just uses the saw's fence to align the cut so the stop fence doesn't even need to stick up. I have the RAS and the CMS sitting side by side with their fences aligned so I think that is plenty of fence for aligning cuts.

But a commercial fence piece would save some time and probably works very well. My homemade one served me well in my last shop so I'll try it again in this one.

Marc Burt
01-06-2016, 9:25 PM
I just finished a similar setup with t-tracks for removable fence (same Kreg fence too). I just used wing nuts instead of knobs.

Michael Zerance
01-06-2016, 11:10 PM
Mike, this was before I put the Kreg track on the fence. I had to change the knobs after the fact as the Kreg stop handle would not clear the hold down knobs. I probably would have made the board parallel with the floor wider and pushed the knobs out if I had to do it again.

Thanks for that.

Randy Rizzo
01-06-2016, 11:23 PM
Thanks for that.

Yeah, really, thanks! Almost finished my saw station, now I gotta set it on fire and start over😂😂

Mike Henderson
01-07-2016, 12:07 AM
I need to improve my miter saw station. Thanks for the ideas!

Mike

Adam Carl
01-07-2016, 8:57 AM
Good call with the wing nuts.

Chris Hachet
01-13-2016, 2:04 PM
I love how that is open underneath....

Ed Gibbons
01-13-2016, 3:06 PM
Chris,
I just downloaded the plans. What did you use for the table top? Also, did you do anything extra to secure the unit to the wall?
Thanks,

Ed