PDA

View Full Version : Zero clearance insert for a Hammer K3

Wakahisa Shinta
01-05-2016, 9:51 PM
There was a thread recently discussing SawStop vs. a slider. Bill Adamsen asked if some of the Hammer/Felder owners are using ZCI. This one is for you Bill.

328725 328726 328727

The left insert is without opening for the scoring blade and is made out of maple. The right insert has opening for scoring blade and is made out of white oak. They are made for the same blade, but one is for hard wood cross cuts. The other is for panel cutting. They were made before I adjusted my saw. Next time, I will decrease the gap between the sliding table and the insert. I remember when I made these, I had to fine tune their thickness to the cart iron table with a hand plane.

John Lankers
01-06-2016, 12:39 AM
Nice, they look way better than the OEM inserts. There is a kid in Germany with the same saw, he made some improvements to his ZCI's, here is a link to his YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_vd-T3hqk

Bruce Page
01-06-2016, 1:07 AM
Nice job!

Wakahisa Shinta
01-06-2016, 12:28 PM
Nice, they look way better than the OEM inserts. There is a kid in Germany with the same saw, he made some improvements to his ZCI's, here is a link to his YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X_vd-T3hqk

Thanks for the link. I saw that video too. The outtakes are hilarious! In the video, he was concerned about the insert's weak point to the left of the blade, closer to the sliding table. It is indeed true. I chose not to reinforce that area because it is so close to the sliding table and unlikely to see a lot of pressure. So far, this has been fine. The most help I get from this is prevention of small cut off pieces from getting stuck in the region of the scoring blade. A projectile launching from a fast spinning saw blade, jamming and hitting another part spinning in the opposite direction makes a nasty sound!

Nice job!

Thanks! Just some scraps from the shop and an hour or so of tinkering. Load of fun though.