PDA

View Full Version : "Longer Format" Sliding Table Saws

Dan Schmidt
01-05-2016, 9:20 PM
OK, I was on the phone with the Felder folks today investigating slider options. I want an 8' sliding table, and because of this they recommended the "S" model. K700S vs. the K700 in my example, but most slider manufactures seem to have 2 alternatives to the base units - in plan view, one is more or less square, and the longer format is more of a rectangle. Rationale from Felder is that it better supports the longer sliding table, but it's certainly possible to get the smaller base with the long slider. Your thoughts and wisdom on this?

James Baker SD
01-05-2016, 10:12 PM
I now have a 9' Felder KF700S model. I think the extra rectangle gives a lot more support to a long table, and since I have to walk around the table anyway, the extra space taken by the saw near the floor is a non-issue for me. Took me 16 hours (two full days) using David's book and an in person discussion with Ernie Demaray (I went to see his saw before I bought mine) to dial in the table to my satisfaction (I one of those nuts who likes the slider with minimal clearance above the cast iron) as it was with the greater spacing and greater number of the mounting bolts. Not sure the iterations would have ever converged on a non-S version of the saw base. Note: The rectangular area in only directly under the sliding table'; the remainder of the cabinet base is the same as the K700.

Wakahisa Shinta
01-05-2016, 11:01 PM
Dan, have you requested to join the Felder Owner Group on Yahoo! Groups? If you haven't, I would like to suggest that you join. There is a wealth of information there in the archive.

I personally would choose the S model with the longer chassis and the 110" sliding table. Like James said, it's about supporting the sliding table. I also recommend looking into the KF 700 SP before making your final decision. Good luck!

David Kumm
01-05-2016, 11:21 PM
To support a long table without the extra rectangular base, the sub assembly and extrusions need to be much heavier and I doubt the manufacturers spec different parts. Kolle used to make a square body long stroke but their stuff was Martin like in build. The 700 are great machines but I'd want the longer base given their build. Commercial saws are built to hold several sheets of mdf without mucking up the settings vs lighter duty machines. 8' is barely long enough if you really intend to cut a lot of 8' stock. To have room to slide the sheets around and use pneumatic clamps, you want 9' and 10' is better- if you have the room. Dave

John Lankers
01-06-2016, 12:02 AM
Dan, go with the 2800mm table if you can, processing 8' panels on a 2500 mm sliding table leaves no room for the cross cut fence or hold down clamps. Also, I wouldn't think twice when it comes to choosing between the longer base on the 700 S and the 700, the short base is not even an option on the longer tables.

Dan Schmidt
01-06-2016, 7:42 AM
Thanks guys - the rectangular base looks like an easy decision.
I cannot imagine the need for a shaper in my future so I hesitate adding that cost. The 2800mm table is interesting comment and similar to what Felder told me. Options options options, man, you guys are expensive... :-) Seriously though, I need to think about that one.... while this thing will fit in my shop, I'm already mourning the loss of space.....

Wakahisa, thanks for the tip on the Yahoo site.

James, could you tell me a bit more about "David's book"? I haven't been able to find this via searches yet...

Dan

James Baker SD
01-06-2016, 5:02 PM
James, could you tell me a bit more about "David's book"? I haven't been able to find this via searches yet...

Dan

Dan,
Others can answer much better than me on details here, but David Best wrote a book with title like "Felder Survival Guide" which detailed setup and use of Felder saws and shapers. It is a frequent topic on the Felder Owner's Group website. Seems there is possibility of an updated edition. Not sure what that means for the availability of the original edition. Book has lots of great info. Hopefully someone will clear up my lack of knowledge on the current availability. Sorry I could not be of more help.

James
P.S. I second the idea of getting longer table than 8' if you want to cut full sheets of plywood. Room for the clamps at each end is really nice.

John Lankers
01-06-2016, 5:18 PM
Davidpbest.com

Jim Becker
01-06-2016, 9:51 PM
My MiniMax slider has the longer support structure so that the wagon and outrigger has full support through its entire throw. (an 8'6" slider needs a minimum of 19' for full travel) While some manufacturers might allow you to order a longer wagon on a smaller cabinet, I'd be worried about stress from the wagon/outrigger plus material...it's more weight than you think, especially if it essentially becomes a lever. In other words, the salesperson you're speaking to at Felder is giving good advise in recommending the beefier base for the longer wagon.

Dennis Yamamoto
01-07-2016, 1:18 AM
Although it's a great resource, David Best's "Survival Guide" is no longer published. Check the Felder Owners Group.

Even though the 2800mm (110") slider takes a lot of space, you will need that space anyway including the infeed and outfeed sides to rip a sheet of plywood. A longer slider is also handy to straight line rip rough lumber.

Wakahisa Shinta
01-07-2016, 2:02 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a 3200 mm sliding table? Or another brand with similar length sliding table? Any advantages or disadvantages for such a long sliding table?

Erik Loza
01-07-2016, 7:54 AM
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a 3200 mm sliding table? Or another brand with similar length sliding table? Any advantages or disadvantages for such a long sliding table?

Can't speak for any other vendors but I sell a fair number of 10.5' sliders. One of those customers posts in here once in a while but I don't want to mention his name without permission. He did make a thread about his S315 Elite-S a couple of years back. A lot of folks go for the longer slider for ripping solid lumber. I sent one to a shop not too long ago that was getting requests for 9' architectural doors. You wouldn't be able to make that rip on an 8.5' machine. At least not using the slider. Also, like bandsaws, you really can't ever have "too much" sliding table. The amount of room a 3200mm machine needs in the shop versus a 2600mm machine needs is not much bigger. Also, (at least with Minimax....) the price jump from 2600mm to 3200mm is not that great. A lot of customers have told me, "Well, I'm already spending this to get into a slider in the first place, so I might as well...". My advice, like bandsaws, is to buy as much slider as you can afford and have the room for.

Erik

Jim Andrew
01-07-2016, 9:32 AM
If you are a hobbyist and don't spend all day cutting up sheets, the smaller Hammer saws are great. I have the 79" stroke K3 slider, and find it very nice in my shop. I kept my old Unisaw, and find it very handy to have 2 tablesaws in my shop. The use of a slider to straight line rip solid lumber is great, and if I cut up sheets, I just rip to width first, then use the outrigger to cut to length. Very nice to get accurate square cuts on plywood, and solid as well.