PDA

View Full Version : J-Line Brodhead-Garrett Scroll Saw

Matt Hardy
01-05-2016, 8:50 PM
I have been looking for a nice scroll saw to add to the shop. It won't be used a ton but every Christmas I get the itch to do some scroll work and possible give out some awesome ornaments as gift toppers. I also think it would be cool to make a different ornament for my kids each year and then once they are grown they would have a nice collection from Dad.

I have been watching our local classifies and I came across some nice Hawk RBI's for $400-500 range. There is currently a Hegner 22 for sale for $500. Both are a bit pricey for me and what I want to do. I have used the Hawk ones several times and they are very nice. If I could snag either the Hawk or a DeWalt for $300 I think I would go for it.

That said, today I cam across this guy. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about it or has used one. They are asking $100 . Says it runs great. I am wondering if it is 3 phase. I would be surprised if it was but maybe. I like the size of it but if its a pain to use and hard to release the blade each time I think I will pass. 328715

Charles Lent
01-06-2016, 11:42 AM
It uses a spring to pull the blade back up after each cut. Modern scroll saws have synchronized upper and lower blade grips that pull down and up in synchronization with each other. The problem with the spring return saws is that any time the blade binds in the cut, like when making a tight turn, the spring can't pull the blade up, the blade buckles, and frequently breaks. You will go through a lot more blades with this saw than with a more modern saw. These saws also use pinned end saw blades. When doing fret work (inside holes) the drilled hole for passing the blade through to get started must be large enough for the blade pin to go through, which prevents cutting the smaller hole patterns. The more modern scroll saws do not use pinned end blades and grip just the straight blade ends. This allows for smaller sized blades and smaller drill holes, so smaller detail holes can be scroll sawn with these blades.
A lot of significant improvements have been made in scroll saw technology since this saw was built. So much so that comparing this saw to a modern saw is about like comparing a horse and buggy to a modern sports car. Save your money for a newer saw and let this one go to the smelter. For $2-300 you can buy a clean lightly used DeWalt 788 on Craigslist and enjoy that modern sports car.

Charley

Matt Hardy
01-06-2016, 8:57 PM
Thanks Charley. This is exactly the info I was looking for.