PDA

View Full Version : Jet canister dust collector retrofit kit

Perry Schmidt
06-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Anyone buy one of the Jet Canister retrofit kits for any 20" collector???

a) How do they work? Work well? Problems??
b) How do they fit together??

Not having enough room for a cyclone, these look like an attractive option...any feedback on it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Perry

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 1:22 PM
These filters should work fine on most any system, either directly on a 20" rim or with a little MDF or plywood creativity for rims over or under that size.

But as your your comment about the cyclone and space...cyclones actually take up less space than a single stage DC. That's one of the reasons I went with one originally in my current shop over three years ago.

Perry Schmidt
06-10-2003, 2:24 PM
Side to side space...but I only have 8' ceilings. If I use the dust eliminator size as the bases for the height I'd be hard-pressed to stuff that thing in an 8' space...

Guess I could squeeze it in there...but trying to consider ways to improve my system which is cheap(er) til I get my 'real' shop - which will be the next house :)

Perry

Jim Becker
06-10-2003, 2:59 PM
I also have an 8' ceiling. Here's a pic that shows my cyclone "fit"--and that is with a 55 gallon fiber drum.

Glen Smith
06-10-2003, 3:52 PM
I looked at the retrofit, but if I recall correctly, it was pricey. Like over $200, and they were having availability issues. I looked over Bill Petz's info and went to Wynn Environmental and ordered a 140 sq ft washable filter from them for $140.
http://www.wynnenv.com/torit_filters.htm
It does not have the funky handles and spinner to clean the inside, but I don't think I'll miss it. It will take a litle fiddling to get it mounted (a stick and some threaded rod). The filter I ordered is 99.995% efficient at 1 micron and above. I think that the Jet filter units are only good to 5 micron. Whuups - just checked - they are rated to 2 micron. They are also 83 sq ft.

It is not yet here, I'll post when it comes in and I get it set up.

Glen Smith

Perry Schmidt
06-10-2003, 3:56 PM
Nice - is that Oneida's 2HP Commercial? 3HP?? Looks nice.

I have mine all in the garage, and down here (here being Texas) they sheetrock the garage - which means I don't have exposed rafters. I guess I could 'expose' the point where the motor is, plus use a 35 gal. drum.

Hmmm....more to think about...

(What I really need is that new shop building w/ 10' ceilings :)

Thanks for the info - and pick.

Perry

Jim Becker
06-11-2003, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by Perry Schmidt
Nice - is that Oneida's 2HP Commercial? 3HP?? Looks nice.

No, it's the "mere" 1.5hp Oneida. When I bought over three years ago, they didn't have the modular 2hp available. But this system performs very well for me, especially once I went to the Torit external filters (not visible in the picture). I empty that 55 gallon barrel far more often than I ever imagined I would...

Walt Quadrato
06-12-2003, 9:19 AM
check back in the archives, I did the exact thing you mentioned. I'm using the jet canister on a delta 1 1/2 hp and it's working fine for me. Saw an increase in suction immediately and using the plastic lower bags is so much easier. After a few days of moderate use I kick some of the caked dust off the inside with the flappers and I'm back up to full effeciency again. I opted not to use the jet housing because it has a 5" intake as opposed to the delta's 6"; but everything else fit with minor mods. I put in longer "set" screws to hold the filter in place. I, too, have low clearance in my shop and this seemed to be the easiest solution(while not the cheapest) Whichever way you go it's a lot better than the stock set-up.

David Rose
06-13-2003, 1:22 AM
I empty my 35 gallon drum with a *very* inefficient collector after a couple of hours of work. This isn't just 2 hours of planing. I think I could fill it in about 30 minutes or less.

David