PDA

View Full Version : Anyone build the Asian Inspired Hall Table in FW?

Joe Cowan
01-05-2016, 10:11 AM
This is my next project. I know it is a long shot, but just hoping someone has built it and can offer some advice. It is FW #229 and called "Float the Top". I am struggling with understanding the planer sled he uses to put the curve on the 3rd face of the legs. Only one leg side is straight.

glenn bradley
01-05-2016, 10:58 AM
The accompanying video under online extras shows it really well. The second (third if you count the intro) video called "Legs, Aprons, and Under Rails" is the one I watched.

Joe Cowan
01-05-2016, 1:10 PM
I have watched it twice now. I will figure it out, just hoping someone had built it. He mentions some spacers under the middle of the leg to control the bend the planer causes, but does not give any measurements etc of these spacers and the sled.

Dave Richards
01-05-2016, 1:46 PM
Joe, it's been a while since I thought about that one but I think it can be figured out from the SketchUp model. I'll try to look at it tonight when I get home from work and see if I can get the info. If shouldn't be difficult to calculate, though. You could do it, too, if you got the digital plans.

Joe Cowan
01-05-2016, 2:22 PM
Joe, it's been a while since I thought about that one but I think it can be figured out from the SketchUp model. I'll try to look at it tonight when I get home from work and see if I can get the info. If shouldn't be difficult to calculate, though. You could do it, too, if you got the digital plans.

I have the full size drawings along with the regular plans and the DVD. I am trying to understand why even use the spacers, as it would seem the planer would not push the leg down but so far, thus creating a slight curve. Still trying to get my mind wrapped around this as I have just pulled the plans out, after storing them away since the article came out.

Dave Richards
01-05-2016, 2:27 PM
I think you'd get too much curve without the spaces because the planer will push the leg all the way down to the sled. So you have the SketchUp model? You should be able to work it out with that. Or I can.

Joe Cowan
01-05-2016, 4:42 PM
I think you'd get too much curve without the spaces because the planer will push the leg all the way down to the sled. So you have the SketchUp model? You should be able to work it out with that. Or I can.

I watched the video again. I will calculate the curve and make measurements at three points along the way and put in spacers. Thanks for the offer. I was having temporary brain damage and thinking ahead too much.

Dave Richards
01-05-2016, 5:57 PM
Good enough.

Marc Burt
01-05-2016, 8:09 PM
I built it 3 years ago. Was a fun project. I can't remember buying the plans but did watch all the videos on the website. For the jig I just put the legs in it and bent them by hand and put in a spacer when it looked right. Pretty sure I tacked the spacer in place because it moved too.

Dave Richards
01-05-2016, 8:58 PM
Wow! I didn't remember it was so long ago.

When I watched the video, I wondered if Mr. Rousseau stuck his spacers down. It seemed like they'd be prone to wander around else.

Marc Burt
01-06-2016, 8:19 AM
I'm guessing at the age as I'm too lazy to look it up but I remember it was the last project I built before my daughter's crib and she'll be 3 in May so it has to be pretty close to 3 years ago now ;)

Joe Cowan
01-06-2016, 9:07 AM
I built it 3 years ago. Was a fun project. I can't remember buying the plans but did watch all the videos on the website. For the jig I just put the legs in it and bent them by hand and put in a spacer when it looked right. Pretty sure I tacked the spacer in place because it moved too.

As I am still getting my mind wrapped around this project, it seems that this face will end up with a convex curve? The planer pushes the leg down in the middle, thus not taking as much wood off, and creating the curve. Am I thinking about this the correct way?