PDA

View Full Version : Uh-oh.. Am I turning "neander"??

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2016, 2:49 PM
Was cutting parts Saturday for drawers going in to my new MS bench. Realized that I put a groove in the wrong face on one of the drawer sides.. After some very colorful self-editorial comments about my capabilities, it sunk in on me that I would have to tear down the dado stack on TS (which took quite a while to get dialed in to a perfect width) to mount a blade to cut a new side and then reset the dado to cut grooves in the new side. Was really fuming at that point and decided to take a break for lunch. Somewhere along the line it hit me that I could cut the new side with a hand saw.. !! :eek: Then used a block plane to touch up the cut edges and I was in business again. Now I'm worried that I'm moving to the dark side of woodworking.. ;)

...Hate to admit though... I kinda liked it.... :)

Rick Potter
01-04-2016, 3:06 PM
Nah, you just need a second table saw :D .

Erik Christensen
01-04-2016, 3:09 PM
quick.... buy a bunch of tools with either cord or battery...... stat!!!

that whole hand tool thing is more expensive than drinking festool kool-aid

you have been warned

Chris Hachet
01-04-2016, 3:28 PM

you have been warned

I just spent $850 in Festool stuff last week, and my next binge is coming from Lie Nielson. I am a man of somewhat modest means, with two children in college, soon to be three. Getting it from both directions is painful but somewhat satisfying.

In all seriousness, I find hand tool and power tools can compliment each other quite nicely.

Chris

Rich Riddle
01-04-2016, 4:00 PM
Chris Griggs = the Darth Vader of the Neander forum.....the dark side. Wish he posted more because he always has good advice. You can learn a lot over in that forum.

Lee Schierer
01-04-2016, 5:59 PM
Until your shop is heated with wood and illuminated by oil lamps you aren't truly a neander. A good hand plane or two or even a couple of hand saws doesn't qualify you. Now if you had stopped to sharpen that saw and touch up the plane iron before making the new part you could be leaning that way.

I've been known to do exactly the same thing, both the oops with verbal self abuse and the solution you came up with.

Frederick Skelly
01-04-2016, 6:57 PM
Yes. You're on the edge of the cliff. But it's ok. Just take deep breaths and forget that Lee Valley still has free shipping through tomorrow......

But seriously. You just found out there are good reasons to have a few hand tools around. That makes you a Hybrid Woodworker, like many of us, including myself. I like the flexibility to use both power and hand tools. It's really opened-up my options and increased my skill set.

Just stay away from antique stores, Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen and you'll be ok.

Jim Becker
01-04-2016, 9:48 PM
Woodworking really requires some use of hand tools no matter what...a quality (and very sharp) block plane being one of the essentials!

Brian Tymchak
01-05-2016, 8:51 AM

I actually did have a thought on Saturday about how I now understood the value of having a 2nd TS. Unfortunately, I'm confined by 4 basement walls to just 1... :(

So the Rx for neanderism is to drink some green koolaid.... Well I do need (well ok,, want..) a track saw and I do have a Woodwerks gift cert. Hmm... maybe a quick cure?

Until your shop is heated with wood and illuminated by oil lamps you aren't truly a neander. A good hand plane or two or even a couple of hand saws doesn't qualify you. Now if you had stopped to sharpen that saw and touch up the plane iron before making the new part you could be leaning that way.

Whew! that's good news. I still use central heat and pretty soon will upgrade the woefully inadequate incandescent lighting. ...But I did think that the edge on the block plane could use a tune up... Thank goodness the saw is new. No sharpening needed there for a while. ..Geesh, I don't even know how to sharpen a handsaw... Might actually have to go visit the Neander forum like Rich was suggesting.

You just found out there are good reasons to have a few hand tools around. That makes you a Hybrid Woodworker.

I'm a Hybrid Woodworker... Hmm. Kind a like that! Seriously, I've always had some hand tools around for occasional use but this project has really called for a lot more use than normal.

Woodworking really requires some use of hand tools no matter what...a quality (and very sharp) block plane being one of the essentials!

I'm building this MS bench from dimensional pine from the BORG, using up a bunch of left-overs from some other benches I tore down a while back. My block plane actually has become a very good friend truing up all those joints. It does need a good sharpening now though, along with most every other cutting edge/blade in my shop. I think the last half of January is going to be dedicated to sharpening stuff.

Peter Quinn
01-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Not a neander....just a versatile and creative problem solver. Find yourself resawing 16" mahogany with a frame saw after trimming your beard with a plane iron in the reflection of a piece of walnut you just burnished by hand with a scraper....then you have something to worry about. On the second ts thing...if you have room for one ts....you can stuff an 8" portable under its side board for those times when you can't take down a set up. I have a little makita under a bench that has played just such a roll.

Brian Tymchak
01-05-2016, 12:50 PM
On the second ts thing...if you have room for one ts....you can stuff an 8" portable under its side board for those times when you can't take down a set up. I have a little makita under a bench that has played just such a roll.

That's an interesting thought for a 2nd TS. Thanks Peter!

... after trimming your beard with a plane iron ....

Perfect! That's exactly what I envison as a neander. :D

Allan Speers
01-07-2016, 4:50 PM
Just check your knuckles!

If they aren't scraped & bloody from dragging them on the floor, you're OK.

I also suggest hanging some large, full color posters on your wall of the Festool Domino, a nice italian bandsaw, and a few combination machines from Felder & such.

Sean Tracey
01-07-2016, 6:38 PM
One does not turn Neander. One turns into a zombie, or a werewolf perhaps. And thus moves from man to undead or beast.

One evolves into Neander. A transformation. A union with the work.

And the answer is yes.

Mike Schnorr
01-07-2016, 6:50 PM
"Until your shop is heated with wood and illuminated by oil lamps..."
Wow! I never thought of oil lamps out there! I could even work when the power goes out?!?

Allan Speers
01-07-2016, 7:23 PM
"Until your shop is heated with wood and illuminated by oil lamps..."
Wow! I never thought of oil lamps out there! I could even work when the power goes out?!?

Sure. - or get a crank generator, then ask SWMBO to turn it for you so you still have lights.

Heck, I even once had a foot-powered lathe. Used to get my girlfriend to crank it all day, so I could turn table legs.
I dunno why she ever left me, but I sure do MISS that old lathe!

jon amick
01-08-2016, 7:50 PM

make it a slider