PDA

View Full Version : CamTech L20

Conor Gaffney
01-04-2016, 12:49 PM
Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing a used CamTech L20 25watt Laser and wondering if it's possible to upgrade the laser to a higher power? Looking to get as close to 100 Watt or more if possible.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2016, 1:13 PM
Have you priced a 100W RF head? If not, you may want to before picking up the machine.

Glen Monaghan
01-04-2016, 4:01 PM
I don't think it's ever really economical to significantly upgrade power on an existing laser engraver. Going from 25W to 100W (or probably anything over 35W) will almost certainly require replacing the tube, the power supply, the wiring harness, the cooling system, and possibly driver and/or motherboard(s) depending on the system design. The manufacturers that I looked at price their upgrade parts to encourage purchasing new systems.

Glen Monaghan
01-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Here's what one factory rep told me regarding upgrading power:

The price assigned to wattage upgrade is substantial to the point that customers that need higher wattage generally go the route of trading in their machine for a higher wattage. With a trade in, you gain the advantage of starting a new two year warranty and also the upgrades made to the model in the last few years (ie, thicker vector grid, thicker task plate, job save feature up to 10 jobs, max 2MB each, that can save directly to the laser).