PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector/Air Compressor

Peter LaDow
01-04-2016, 12:09 PM
As a relative newbie to woodworking (I haven't done much with it since I was in high school over 20 years ago) and having inherited my father's shop, I'm not sure what to do with the dust collector and air compressor. My father had a large dust collector (I'm not in the shop right now, so I can't recall the brand) in the back room of his shop. He also had a two-tank air compressor system in the same room. Unfortunately, my shop is a 32' x 32' wide open space, and I'd prefer them not to be inside due to noise.

So, my question is whether these can be placed outside. I live in Idaho, and it gets pretty darn chilly in the winter, and I'm not sure how these operate in the cold/damp air. I have 2 open-air, covered bays on the side of the shop for my 5th wheel and boat, and I thought of putting them in that space. Or should they need to be fully enclosed?

Chris Padilla
01-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Hello Peter and welcome to SMC!

Were I able to move my DC and AC outside, I'd do it in a heartbeat but I would protect them from the elements somewhat with at least a roof of some kind over them but personally, I'd fully enclose them (for safety and sound). I think your covered bay is likely a perfect spot.

Some things with the AC is water drainage...the tank will collect water over time and in the winter, that can be bad unless you religiously drain it. Just keep in mind that the tank and the AC plumbing lines can condense water in them so provide areas to drain them and slope 'em a bit as well.

For the DC, about the only thing I can think of is that the pulling of heated air from your shop in the winter and sending it outside. It is only a minor concern unless you turn your DC on at 8 am and don't shut it off until 5 pm. For hobbyists, it is a minor concern I think.

Peter LaDow
01-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Some things with the AC is water drainage...the tank will collect water over time and in the winter, that can be bad unless you religiously drain it. Just keep in mind that the tank and the AC plumbing lines can condense water in them so provide areas to drain them and slope 'em a bit as well.
Thanks for the reminder on the condensation. When I pulled the system, I also grabbed the water separators, so those will help. But as you say, the tanks themselves likely accumulate moisture. So when mounting them, I'll definitely make sure to have easy access to the drains.

For the slope, I suppose you mean sloping the lines, not the compressor tanks. Like my compressor for my heat pump, I planned to keep the compressor level to save the bearings. And with the lines, a slope which way? Back toward the tank, that is sloping up away from the tanks?

For the DC, about the only thing I can think of is that the pulling of heated air from your shop in the winter and sending it outside. It is only a minor concern unless you turn your DC on at 8 am and don't shut it off until 5 pm. For hobbyists, it is a minor concern I think.
Yeah, I planned the DC to be wired via a switch inside the shop, and would only be turned on when actively in use. And it is a hobbyist shop. If I was talented enough to make a living off woodworking, that might change. But for now, I'll keep my day job.

And the "heated air" is a tough thing in the shop. Only the roof is insulated, and the wood stove doesn't quite keep up in that space. The corner where the stove is located is intolerable when a fire is roaring, but the cement floor and sheet metal walls suck the heat out. Maybe with insulation and some sort of flooring...

Chris Padilla
01-04-2016, 2:01 PM
Slope the compressor lines such that you can collect the water AND drain it easily at various points. If you just keep the mindset that water will collect at low points, you should be fine. Most of the water will be in the tank but some can collect in the lines.

Mary Ma
01-08-2016, 3:55 AM
They can be placed outside of house, just need to cover them up or endorse. You can use plastic film. Cold weather does not matter. We put air compressor outside of house for noise from spring to winter for several years, it just works fine.