PDA

View Full Version : Where to find good used machines....

Dan Schmidt
01-04-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm in the market for the best slider I can get for the $$. I know a lot of you recommend being patient and looking for a used unit. For those of you who have had good luck buying used machines, where have you found them / where have you searched? Craig's list, etc has very few available.....

Kent Adams
01-04-2016, 10:36 AM
I'm interested in this as well. Lots of folks comment on auction sites but I can't seem to find good ones.

Erik Loza
01-04-2016, 10:43 AM
I've had a number of customers find things on Ebay and Ex-Factory.

Be aware: Most used sliders you will see will have 3-phase motors, so you may need to explore a phase converter. Also, and this is just my personal opinion: I would not buy any sliding table saw, regardless of manufacturer, that is more than 15 years old. Parts availability starts to become an issue past that point. Of course, you could find a slider that is perfect and needs nothing but most that I see are ex-shop machines that are missing various parts and may require some "creative fabrication". Best of luck in your search.

Erik

edit: Out of curiosity, I just searched for "sliding table saw" on Ebay. There are a number of Roblands, SCMI, in the sub-$4K range. Even a Wadkin! Of course, caveat-emptor. They will all be ex-shop machines.

Martin Wasner
01-04-2016, 12:58 PM
I troll eBay, exfactory, IRS Auctions, a few local auction sites, Woodweb, Craigslist, and whatever service it that all the dealers use for listing.

I'm usually not looking for anything specific, but it's nice to be able to pull the trigger when the right piece pops up. Last year I bought a 504 belt sander on eBay, a 46 spindle linebore on Craigslist, a SAC shaper from IRS Auctions, a 6000cfm dust collector off craigslist, a Toyota lift from K-Bid, a Whirlwind pop up saw with a 12' Tigerstop off woodweb, and an SCMi shaper from a guy who I connected with because of a post I made on this forum.

You never know where something that you need will show up, so I kinda look everywhere. Usually just while I'm watching tv in the evening.

Depending on what it is, I unload stuff on craigslist. I haven't had anything bigger I needed to sell. If I were to sell a bigger item, I'd likely use the classifieds on Woodweb.

Martin Wasner
01-04-2016, 1:01 PM
Why doesn't the mobile version allow editing?

I did sell the bits that came with linebore on eBay. They were ready to ship and offered a much wider audience than Craigslist would have. Who uses ¼" shelf pins? Weird to me.

Jim German
01-04-2016, 1:18 PM
I've never had much luck with craigslist for big stuff. The industrial auction sites would be where I'd be looking. Bidspotter, IRS auctions (not related to the internal Revenue service), probably some others depending on your area.

Ben Rivel
01-04-2016, 1:30 PM
Gotta kinda check everywhere for stuff. Since youll never know what sites/methods to sell a seller will know, they could choose any which means you have to watch all to catch the deals.

David Kumm
01-04-2016, 2:23 PM
I also watch the machinery exchange at woodweb.com. Used sliders are a deal if you can handle three phase. SCMI SI16 are very common, enough so that you can find new or used parts ( I bought a second parts saw for 1,000, sold the motor, and enough stuff to buy pneumatic clamps ). I'm not sure a slider ( or a planer ) are the best choices to start learning about used. Both can have expensive to fix problems if you don't know what to watch for. You want to see it and hear it run. Feel the table travel and check it for wear. Euro motors over 10 years old can be a problem so budget accordingly. If it is missing any fences or flip stops, they will be costly. I budget 1000-1500 for problems with a slider and pay accordingly. Having said that, my SI 16 WA works well, has two outrigger tables, pneumatic clamps, and an extra crosscut fence and all in I'm about $5500 ( I have a good motor guy for rewinding or would be higher ). Some do better but also easy to do worse. If you are not good with machinery, be careful. Dave328569

Rick Potter
01-04-2016, 3:11 PM
You can find good and bad on any site. I sold my pristine Felder on the only site available to me....Craigs List. I have no desire to work with E-bay.

Steve Wilde
01-04-2016, 5:36 PM
I'm not sure where you're located but this is on a local site her in SLC....https://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=37345992&cat=&lpid=&search=jointer&ad_cid=2

Frank Drew
01-04-2016, 7:35 PM
Dan,

If you're anywhere within striking distance of a decent sized city, you should look in one or two of that city's newspaper's classified section -- maybe under Machinery and Tools or a similar heading. That's assuming they still have newspapers, no guarantee these days. Even if they don't list a slider, you might get some leads. Also check out the city's Yellow Pages for Machinery or Woodworking Machinery; libraries often have a number of out-of-town Yellow Pages.

Jim Andrew
01-04-2016, 8:01 PM
Nextech classifieds has a Laguna for 3800.

Martin Wasner
01-05-2016, 11:22 AM
If you get the HDL flyer each month, they've got a classified section in that as well. I haven't purchased anything that way, but there has been some items that have peaked my interest.

Justin Ludwig
01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Machinerymax.com has a Griggio 9hp slider being bid on right now. The saw is in Tracy, CA. Current bid sits at $1550.

Rick Lizek
01-05-2016, 4:53 PM
https://westernmass.craigslist.org/bfs/5317881617.html
try search tempest.com
Dealers do trade ins and consignment

Dan Schmidt
01-05-2016, 9:10 PM
Thanks all. These are all outstanding links and it opened a whole new world to me. Now I won't be able to stop trolling......

Dan

Justin Ludwig
01-06-2016, 12:27 PM
A Felder 5 station combo on Machinerymax. http://www.machinerymax.com/Listing/Details/2394484/FELDER-CF741PRO-5-STATION-COMBINATION-MACHINE

28 bids in 2 days and it still has 6 days left. That's a whole lotta machine for a garage. ;)

Matt Day
01-07-2016, 12:45 PM
There's a grizzly slider for sale in the classifieds. Located in NY.