PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying Glass Recommendation

Kent Adams
01-04-2016, 8:08 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy a high quality, non plastic, magnifying glass? Locally, all I can find are these cheaply made, plastic ground magnifying "glass" which I've found less than useful and a waste of money for me. These should be renamed magnifying plastic because they are not made out of glass.

I wear glasses so I'd like to have one where I'm not having to take off my glasses. Do they even make quality magnifying glasses anymore? I went to Carolina Biological's website and didn't see one and that was the one place I thought would have them. Any help would be appreciated.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2016, 8:42 AM
Try Anchor Optics... owned by Edmund Scientific, it's like the outlet mall for a quality optics shop.
http://www.anchoroptics.com/pages/category/Magnifiers.cfm

You should be able to find some decent quality magnifiers there...

John Ziebron
01-04-2016, 11:34 PM
Kent, try checking out stores and websites that sell products for the visually impaired. They generally carry products that are higher grade and I'm sure you'll find real glass magnifiers there.

Bruce Page
01-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Are you looking for hand held or head mount like the Optivisor?

Kent Adams
01-05-2016, 5:40 AM
Bruce, strictly handheld.

Shawn Pixley
01-05-2016, 10:35 AM
As Dan suggested, try the scientific types. I have a glass magnifier that I got back when I did science. If you don't need a 3-4" diameter glass, try a jewelor's loupe.

Randy Rose
01-05-2016, 11:57 AM
Both McMaster Carr & Grainger offer models with glass optics.
Some have built in measuring scales

Matt Marsh
01-05-2016, 2:59 PM

I know some would say this is a cop-out, but I find the magnifier Apps available for smart phones very good, and very convenient.

Kev Williams
01-05-2016, 3:18 PM
I have many magnifying glasses around here. The older ones are quite nice. And oddly enough, the cheap 5-pack of plastic loupes from Harbor Freight are not that bad-

But I have 2 lighted clamp-lamps with glass magnifying lenses, plus a newer glass handheld, and all 3 of them suck. Lots of waves and distortion...

Just sayin...

If ordering online, to play it safe you might go for a brand name, like Bausch & Lomb.

Kent Adams
01-05-2016, 5:38 PM
I have many magnifying glasses around here. The older ones are quite nice. And oddly enough, the cheap 5-pack of plastic loupes from Harbor Freight are not that bad-

But I have 2 lighted clamp-lamps with glass magnifying lenses, plus a newer glass handheld, and all 3 of them suck. Lots of waves and distortion...

Just sayin...

If ordering online, to play it safe you might go for a brand name, like Bausch & Lomb.

This is what I'm finding. The new stuff I've bought is real bad compared to the older glass I remember having when I grew up.

Stan Calow
01-05-2016, 5:46 PM
jewelers and stamp collectors have the kind that attach to your glasses and flip down.

(oops missed the 5th post)

Randy Rose
01-05-2016, 6:40 PM
jewelers and stamp collectors have the kind that attach to your glasses and flip down.

Please see post #5