PDA

View Full Version : For southern Cal Creekers

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 5:16 PM
I am planning on enrolling in this course maybe some creekers would like to join me.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 align=left border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD>A Day With Sam Maloof, Master Woodworker

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR align=left noShade>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Course: General Interest 828.8 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Learn the "how" and "why" of Sam Maloof's work and techniques in a one-day woodworking workshop. Maloof discusses and demonstrates some of his methods of furniture making. Participants have a chance to see the furniture Sam has made for his own home. This course is designed for professional and amateur woodworkers.</TD></TR><TR><TD>Note: Class meets at instructor's workshop; directions will be sent to students upon enrollment. No refunds after November 3, 2005.</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR align=left noShade>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Instructor: Sam Maloof, Woodworker, Alta Loma</TD></TR><TR><TD>When: Sat. 9:00 am-3:00 pm, Nov. 5. (1 meeting)</TD></TR><TR><TD>Where: Room to be announced</TD></TR><TR><TD>Fee: $160 includes lunch </TD></TR><TR><TD>EDP # 052J15 Enroll (http://ucrextension.net/register.html)</TD></TR><TR><TD>

:D

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- end Editable Region -->

Keith Burns
09-06-2005, 5:20 PM
All I can say is "You lucky dog!!!". If I didn't live 2000 miles away I'd go in a heartbeat.

John Scarpa
09-06-2005, 6:52 PM
Don,

I'm in!! :D I'll see you there. Thanks for the prompt, I've been meaning to do this.

John

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 7:03 PM
Great John,
Now if we can get Mark, Lee, Vaughn and a few more creekers maybe we can fill the class with creekers ..:D

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 8:32 PM
I just checked with the registration office and there are only 5 seat left for this class so if you want to attend better hurry to sign up.

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 8:47 PM
The phone number to sign up for the class is 800-442-4990 and they take VISA and Master Card.

Lee DeRaud
09-06-2005, 8:48 PM
I just checked with the registration office and there are only 5 seat left for this class so if you want to attend better hurry to sign up.Make that 4: I'm in.:D

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 8:50 PM
Kool Lee, Now if we can get creekers in th elast 4 seat it should be a lot of fun. Hmmm I wonder if Sam wants a Creeker ball cap.

Andrew Ault
09-06-2005, 9:16 PM
I can't believe it! I'm going!

I hope everyone that wants to go, can!

THANKS, DON.

-Andy

Don Baer
09-06-2005, 9:27 PM
All right Andrew. If you need directions let me know. I live about 5 minutes from the Maloof Compound. Maybe we can all hook up for breakfast and go up to the shop together.

Vaughn McMillan
09-06-2005, 10:27 PM
Wow, this looks too cool, and it would be nice to do a SoCal-Creekerpalooza. I'm going to have to check the budget and schedule tonight and see if it's workable. If so, I'll call the number tomorrow and see if there are any seats left. Thanks for the heads up.

- Vaughn

Andy Hoyt
09-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Is there a creeker out there with a lear jet who could come pick me up?

please please please

Andrew Ault
09-07-2005, 1:21 AM
Thanks Don. We can talk before then.

-Andy

Lee DeRaud
09-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Is there a creeker out there with a lear jet who could come pick me up?

please please pleaseMark Singer...paging Mark Singer...please pick up the white courtesy telephone...:D

Mark Singer
09-07-2005, 11:24 AM
I will try to go.....I need to make sure it doesn't conflict with my trip to South America

Andy Hoyt
09-07-2005, 11:40 AM
I will try to go.....I need to make sure it doesn't conflict with my trip to South America

South America is cool too, Mark. There's a 5000' strip just a mile from my shop.

Ellen Benkin
09-07-2005, 11:47 AM
This course is offered every quarter by UC Riverside Extension. I've taken it and it is worth every penny. You get to sit in Sam's shop and schmooze with him while he demonstrates how he builds his furniture. Sam has hundreds of stories to tell and he is a good story teller.

I would advise anyone interested in the Maloof style and techniques to sign up as soon as possible. Sam is 89 years old and I've seen him decline a little in the past couple of years. It may seem goulish, but if you want to have a chance to chat with Sam -- do it now rather than later.

If you do take the class and you have any of Sam's books, bring them with you so that he can sign them. If you don't have the books, you can buy them at the bookstore at his place. He is very gracious about signing.

For those of you not in Southern California, Sam's place is a short hop (maybe 1/2 hour?) from the Ontario airport. I know people in my class flew in from other places and it would be very feasible to fly in for the class and go home in the same day, depending on flight schedules, of course.

Those of you who are going -- have a great time and report back to us.

Mark Singer
09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I just signed up! It sounds great and I haven't been out there in a couple of years!!! Iy will be good to meet all the SMC guys!

Don Baer
09-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Great Mark, I look forward to meeting you and the other creekers. Now what about Vaughn? Are Ya gonna be able to make it?

Scott Larson
09-07-2005, 1:43 PM
As of 10:30 a.m., the class if full :(

I guess that's what I get for stepping away from the computer and into the workshop for a few days;)

Have fun guys, I wish I would have had the opportunity to join you.

-Scott

Vaughn McMillan
09-07-2005, 1:51 PM
Yeppers, I must have been the next guy on the phone after you Scott. :( Not only will I miss seeing and meeting Sam, I was really looking forward to meeting a few Creekers in the process. Maybe we can catch it the next time around.

To those of you going, enjoy the day!

- Vaughn

Don Baer
09-07-2005, 1:57 PM
Darn, I was hoping that we'd have a few more creekers. Oh well. There will be five of us so it should be fun.

Mark Singer
09-07-2005, 3:59 PM
My son Ryan was the last to get in!...I sent him the link and he signed up....he met Sam a couple of years ago at the new place...

Ryan Singer
09-07-2005, 4:03 PM
Darn, I was hoping that we'd have a few more creekers. Oh well. There will be five of us so it should be fun.

MAKE THAT 6! I'M THE OTHER LITTLE CREEKER THAT CREEKED IN AT THE LAST MINUTE. GUESS I WAS THE LAST ONE OR NEAR THE LAST.. SORRY FOR THE OTHERS WHO COULDN'T MAKE IT. :( MAYBE SOMEONE WILL DROP OUT?! :eek:

CYA THER!

Mark Singer
09-07-2005, 4:09 PM
The little creeker jumped in !
MAKE THAT 6! I'M THE OTHER LITTLE CREEKER THAT CREEKED IN AT THE LAST MINUTE. GUESS I WAS THE LAST ONE OR NEAR THE LAST.. SORRY FOR THE OTHERS WHO COULDN'T MAKE IT. :( MAYBE SOMEONE WILL DROP OUT?! :eek:

CYA THER!

Don Baer
09-07-2005, 4:09 PM

CYA THER!

Very Cool, I look forward to meeting ya Ryan. :cool:

John Scarpa
09-07-2005, 4:34 PM
6 Creekers and Sam Maloof. This is going to be great! :)

Lee DeRaud
09-07-2005, 6:16 PM
6 Creekers and Sam Maloof. This is going to be great! :)Let's hope he thinks so!:D :eek: :cool:

Vaughn McMillan
09-07-2005, 7:51 PM
It's OK guys, I'll find something fun to do that day.

Like maybe I'll clean the rain gutters.
In the rain.
With a toothbrush.
My toothbrush.
It's OK.
:( :D

- Vaughn

P.S. Have tons of fun and learn a lot! I did ask the phone registrar to add me to the Course Catalog mailing list. Maybe I can catch the next one.

Mark Singer
09-07-2005, 8:21 PM
Vaughn,

Why not email Sam direct and see if he can squeeze you in? Just a thought ....he can say no...or yes?

It's OK guys, I'll find something fun to do that day.

Like maybe I'll clean the rain gutters.
In the rain.
With a toothbrush.
My toothbrush.
It's OK.
:( :D

- Vaughn

P.S. Have tons of fun and learn a lot! I did ask the phone registrar to add me to the Course Catalog mailing list. Maybe I can catch the next one.

Don Baer
09-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Vaughn,

Why not email Sam direct and see if he can squeeze you in? Just a thought ....he can say no...or yes?

Yea Vaughn, E Mail Sam and tell him that you want to make it the the "creekers Super 7" .

:D

Mark Singer
09-08-2005, 1:12 AM
Here is a little Sam Maloof appetizer...click on the links and watch the videos....great stuff!

http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/maloof/action/index.html#

Don Baer
09-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Good stuff Mark, Thanks

John Scane
09-08-2005, 12:53 PM
Well I'm bummed that I missed out on this. I read the post yesterday morning when there was still a spot left. I didn't have enough in the checking acct and I don't have CC. By the time I got back from making a deposit......RYAN !! had snatched that last spot ! D#@* !!!! I hate not getting a regular pay check:mad:

Don Baer
10-28-2005, 3:20 PM
Any creekers want to join me for breakfast prior to going up to the Maloof compound let me know. I was going to post this next week but since I'm going to be out of town next week and won't have very good internet access so I am putting it up now. There's a Resturant called "Jack's" on the corner of 19th and Carnellion just south of the 210 FWY on the NW corner. I'll be there at about 7:30 and will get a table that will be big enough for as many want to show up. It's less then 2 miles from Sam's Maloof's place and is the closest place to it. Let me know if you can join me other wise I'll see you up there.

Mark Singer
10-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Don,
It is a lttle early...I will ask Ryan if he thinks he can make it...I will let you know.
Thanks!

Any creekers want to join me for breakfast prior to going up to the Maloof compound let me know. I was going to post this next week but since I'm going to be out of town next week and won't have very good internet access so I am putting it up now. There's a Resturant called "Jack's" on the corner of 19th and Carnellion just south of the 210 FWY on the NW corner. I'll be there at about 7:30 and will get a table that will be big enough for as many want to show up. It's less then 2 miles from Sam's Maloof's place and is the closest place to it. Let me know if you can join me other wise I'll see you up there.

Don Baer
11-04-2005, 7:16 PM
OK Mark,
I'll be there and easy to find. I'll be the one with the Sam Maloof book on the table. Hope you and other creekers can make it.

Don

Andrew Ault
11-04-2005, 7:27 PM
Don,

I'll be driving up from San Diego. If I leave early enough, I'll stop buy. Otherwise, I'll see you at Maloof's.

(I don't own an alarm clock, but I'm an early riser.)

- Andy

Mark Singer
11-04-2005, 8:55 PM
Don,
Ryan is staying over tonight ....I will give you the final word when he gets here....I do have an alarm clock...don't like it though

OK Mark,
I'll be there and easy to find. I'll be the one with the Sam Maloof book on the table. Hope you and other creekers can make it.

Don

John Scarpa
11-04-2005, 11:39 PM
Don,

I'm going to swing by there before I get to Sam Maloof's. I wonder if that alarm clock still works? :)

Karl Laustrup
11-05-2005, 6:40 AM
Hey guys, hope all of you enjoy your day with Sam.

I trust someone will take a camera. ;) :D

Karl