PDA

View Full Version : MS Windows 10 Nag

Bruce Page
01-03-2016, 4:44 PM
I signed up for the upgrade on my house PC and my shop PC (both Win7 Pro) when the Windows 10 upgrade came out last July. I have since decided that I am NOT going to upgrade the shop PC. Is there a way to undo my signup and stop the constant upgrade nag?

Lee Schierer
01-03-2016, 4:53 PM
Just for curiosity (I have a win7 machine that is scheduled for upgrade) why would you not want to upgrade?

Bruce Page
01-03-2016, 5:06 PM
I've read reports of it clashing with the installed WinCNC daughterboard that runs my cnc router. The reports are not consistent but I don't want to take the chance.

Scott Donley
01-03-2016, 5:15 PM
Did you right click the upgrade icon in your tray ? If not, do so, there should be a chance there to decline the upgrade.

Brian Henderson
01-03-2016, 5:17 PM
No clue, I wish I could get it to stop bothering me. I never upgrade until at least the first major fix because the first version always sucks, but almost every day, something pops up telling me to upgrade. I'll probably be the last one to upgrade, once they work out all of the bugs. I know it's there. I don't need to be reminded, thanks.

Bruce Page
01-03-2016, 5:20 PM
Did you right click the upgrade icon in your tray ? If not, do so, there should be a chance there to decline the upgrade.

Yes, I right clicked. I do not see any decline option.

Dave Lehnert
01-03-2016, 5:27 PM
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/successfully-cancelling-your-windows-10-upgrade-reservation

John McClanahan
01-03-2016, 5:27 PM
The Windows 10 upgrade is free until July, after that you will have to pay for the upgrade. If your CNC controller computer is not on the internet (it shouldn't be), there is really no reason to ever upgrade.

I use Win 7 computers at work to control imagesetters (laser film imaging machines) and have no plans to ever upgrade the OS.

John

Myk Rian
01-03-2016, 5:28 PM
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Bruce Page
01-03-2016, 6:00 PM
Thanks Dave, that killed it. I still have the windows icon in the tray but now it offering a free sign up. We'll see if the nagging stops..

Bert Kemp
01-03-2016, 10:00 PM
I did the upgrade and then non of my movie channels would play right. I put it back to 7

Just for curiosity (I have a win7 machine that is scheduled for upgrade) why would you not want to upgrade?

Art Mann
01-03-2016, 10:27 PM
I just bought a new computer in November with windows 10 installed. To date, I have found several bugs that haven't been fixed. The Windows 7 OS on my shop computer is more robust and crash proof. I haven't yet seen any real benefits to Win 10 over Win 7. They are still trying to demote computers today to smart phone status by having preinstalled crippled "apps" rather than full featured programs. I have found no use for any of them.

Curt Harms
01-04-2016, 9:35 AM
I've read reports of it clashing with the installed WinCNC daughterboard that runs my cnc router. The reports are not consistent but I don't want to take the chance.

If you want to get in on the free upgrade, there are a couple options. After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, you have 30 days to change your mind and roll back to Win 7. I've never tried it so don't know if it rolls back smoothly or not. The second option would be to make an image - preferably 2 in case one doesn't restore properly of your Win 7 disk then upgrade. If the upgrade doesn't suit you for whatever reason and the rollback doesn't work, you can restore the image. Having an image is also handy if your hard drive decides it has lived long enough or gets a particularly nasty piece of malware.

Edit: I think Windows 10 has an integral imaging program, I'm not sure about Windows 7. Here is a pretty popular free imaging program:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Chuck Wintle
01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
If you want to get in on the free upgrade, there are a couple options. After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10, you have 30 days to change your mind and roll back to Win 7. I've never tried it so don't know if it rolls back smoothly or not. The second option would be to make an image - preferably 2 in case one doesn't restore properly of your Win 7 disk then upgrade. If the upgrade doesn't suit you for whatever reason and the rollback doesn't work, you can restore the image. Having an image is also handy if your hard drive decides it has lived long enough or gets a particularly nasty piece of malware.

Edit: I think Windows 10 has an integral imaging program, I'm not sure about Windows 7. Here is a pretty popular free imaging program:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

i tried win 10 on my laptop and, IMHO, was not that impressed with it. I had imaged windows 7 from the laptop using the built-in function within windows just in case. I was able to go back to windows 7 without problem by reloading the image. For the record i really like how windows 7 works, its stability etc. I was no reason to change to windows 10 which, IMHO, seemed more difficult to use. I disabled the nag part by uninstalling the win updated responsible. When i check on updates if these updates come back then it is possible to hide them so they don't come back. To get those hidden updates back then there is a way to unhide them. but I have to question why MS wants to give the OS for "free". Call me suspicious but there is something more to this.

Brian Elfert
01-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Windows 10 has a lot more hooks into Microsoft services where you can pay them a subscription fee for that service if you want more than the basics. I believe that is the reason they want everyone on Windows 10.

Myk Rian
01-04-2016, 2:57 PM
Windows 10 has a lot more hooks into Microsoft services where you can pay them a subscription fee for that service if you want more than the basics. I believe that is the reason they want everyone on Windows 10.
If you do a "Custom" install, you can turn a lot of that junk off.

Brian Henderson
01-04-2016, 9:53 PM
If you do a "Custom" install, you can turn a lot of that junk off.

A lot of people are too stupid or lazy to do that though.

Curt Harms
01-05-2016, 8:14 AM

That and they don't want to have to produce and test updates & patches for 3 different Windows versions - 7, 8.1 & 10. I'm no Microsoft fan but I can understand that.

Brian Elfert
01-05-2016, 8:57 AM
Microsoft has already obligated itself to support Windows 7 until January 2020 so I'm not sure how giving out Windows 10 for free helps their support obligation.

The general public pretty much expects new releases of OSes to be free now. Android, IOS, OSX, and Linux all provide free upgrades.

paul cottingham
01-05-2016, 4:22 PM
A word of caution. Windows 10 farms a ton of data from the unwary. I would not upgrade without a ton of compelling reasons to, and a complete understanding of the personal info you are giving Redmond.

besides, the best upgrade of windows is to Linux. :-) (sorry, had to say it.)

Larry Browning
01-05-2016, 4:54 PM
......besides, the best upgrade of windows is to Linux. :-) (sorry, had to say it.)

Just a question, cause I really don't know. Does Sketchup run on Linux? I suspect that it does not. I am afraid that would be a deal breaker for me.

paul cottingham
01-05-2016, 9:15 PM
Just a question, cause I really don't know. Does Sketchup run on Linux? I suspect that it does not. I am afraid that would be a deal breaker for me.

I know there was an earlier version of it that was ported to Linux. I don't know if it is still being ported, though. Apparently, some folks got it running in WINE.

Yonak Hawkins
01-05-2016, 10:26 PM
I still have the windows icon in the tray....

You can elimninate this by uninstalling Microsoft update KB3035583

Chuck Wintle
01-06-2016, 7:07 AM
You can elimninate this by uninstalling Microsoft update KB3035583

and to prevent it reappearing change update settings so they are not automatic, run windows update manually and "hide" the update. MS is quite pushy about promoting windows 10. Since its a data miner and a platform for streaming audio and video the nature of an "OS" has changed at least in the eyes of MS.

Curt Harms
01-06-2016, 7:39 AM
I know there was an earlier version of it that was ported to Linux. I don't know if it is still being ported, though. Apparently, some folks got it running in WINE.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=1815

glenn bradley
01-06-2016, 8:53 AM
Turn it off here:

Bruce Page
01-06-2016, 1:01 PM
No Glenn, that's way too easy.