PDA

View Full Version : Router table?

Michael Cole
01-03-2016, 4:19 PM
Let's pretend you are going to get a new router table and router. The router would be dedicated to the table and would never need to come out as you already have a very nice router for other uses (Festool 1400). The table would need to be able to be on wheels and fit through a regular door (for storage as shop is too small). It would be nice if it had a lift but if it is easily adjusted it would not be totally necessary. If you wanted a lift, include the type. It would be nice if the cost was not too much, but it does not have to be cheap. It would be replacing a Bosch table top unit.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
01-03-2016, 4:22 PM
Kreg router table and a porter Cable 7518. Kreg sells a lift that's a breeze to use, but not a requirement.

Ben Rivel
01-03-2016, 5:51 PM
I just built just that. Went all out. Benchdog ProStand, ProFence, ProMax RT Cast Iron Table, ProLift (also cast rron) with Porter Cable 7518 in it and Rockler dust collection box, featherboards, bit holder tray, storage trays and oversized power switch. Also have the Jessem Router Table Guides on the way to finish her off. Setup was anything but cheap, but definitely feels top of the line. Only thing better IMO and from my research would be a shaper.

John Schweikert
01-03-2016, 5:57 PM
I have the Kreg table with Bosch MR*23 which is fully adjustable above the table, no need for a lift.

Robert Engel
01-03-2016, 5:57 PM
Build your own table take savings and invest in an Incra fence.

Jim Becker
01-03-2016, 5:59 PM
Benchdog cast iron top, fence and lift. PC 7518 under the table. (all of which is what I actually use, although mine is bolted onto my sliding table saw as a poor-man's shaper in a sense)

Dan Schmidt
01-03-2016, 6:15 PM
+1 for the Benchdog cast iron top and the PC7518. I run the same, and built a Norm inspired cabinet underneath with a woodpecker lift. Absolutely love it.

Jim Dwight
01-03-2016, 6:28 PM

These show my router table. I also have one built into the side table of my table saw but this is my main table. It functions both as a normal vertical router table and a horizontal router table. The top tilts up for bit changes (very handy). The general layout is like Norm Abram's (New Yankee Workshop). It has a built in (home made) lift. It rolls around on 4 totally locking casters. The fence is secured by very short pipe clamps. The fence opens up for wider bits. The top is a sink cutout rimmed with maple (and backed by a piece of 3/4 plywood). It has miter slots for both the vertical and horizontal mode. The horizontal table is just a piece of melamine particle board with holes for one of my PC 690 routers attached at one end by a hanger bolt and positioned at the other end by a hanger bolt in a slot and a screw height adjust. The height is the same as my table saw and most other tools in my shop (38 1/4 inches).

Patrick Walsh
01-03-2016, 6:33 PM
Wow that is pretty nice!

I went with the CMS VL. The sliding table is really really nice!

If i had it to do again i might do what is bellow. Or in your situation i would just get the CMS that has four collapsible legs. The festool router tables are crazy light unlike the MFT tables.

VL
+1 for the Benchdog cast iron top and the PC7518. I run the same, and built a Norm inspired cabinet underneath with a woodpecker lift. Absolutely love it.

Jim Becker
01-03-2016, 7:59 PM
Here's the old thread that details how I incorporated the Benchdog system with my slider...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?54500-Project-Router-Station-For-Sliding-Table-Saw&highlight=router

Eric Anderson
01-03-2016, 10:13 PM
A question for those of you with the cast iron Bench Dog router table. I have just purchased the cast iron table and intend to start building a "Norm-style" router table around it. My really question is what fence have you purchased or looked at. I don't' really like the bench dog router table fence, but most of the fences I've looked at don't seem to fine the bench dog table, such as the woodpecker fence. I'm thinking the JessEm fence might work, but need to take my tape measure next time I got to woodcrafters. Any other suggestions for high-quality fences that will work with the BD? Thanks,

Steve Kinnaird
01-03-2016, 11:39 PM
I have the Norm Abrams - New Yankee Workshop router table.
I do plan to upgrade it this year.
I would like the Kreg Top, Kreg Lift, Incra Frence and of course the Porter Cable 7518 Router Motor.
I will also put locking casters on it.

Denis Kenzior
01-04-2016, 12:12 AM
Eric,

The Jessem Fence will work just fine. You will need to find / make a different t-nut for the fixing knobs.

The two best fences are the Jessem and the WonderFence. Depends which attachments you prefer.

Dan Schmidt
01-04-2016, 10:17 AM
What don't you like about the Bench Dog fence? In my pic (above) you can see this is the fence that I paired with my cast iron top. Love it so far; but maybe I don't know what I'm missing in the others....

FYI, I have a sketch up model of the unit I built if your interested to use it as a starting point & modify. One thing I need to fix about my Norm inspired cabinet is that router dust is able to find it's way down the side columns of drawers/router bit storage. I need to remove the top and seal the top of my compartment on both sides. A solid top would seal this naturally, but the cast iron top is scalloped out undereneath, and allows dust to escape.

Denis Kenzior
01-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Dan,

Just my opinion: I've had the Bench Dog fence on my table. Nothing wrong with it, decent fence. The extrusion was not quite as heavy, and I didn't like the MDF split fence inserts. You can make your own of course. However, the accessories are lacking.

The Jessem is a much heavier fence. Heavier extrusion, better quality throughout. It also supports the Mite-R-Slide accessory, stops, etc. Incra WonderFence has micro-adjustable offset adjustment, right angle push fixture, native LS Positioner support, etc.

All depends on what you want to do with your table and how much you want to spend. In the end I married the BenchDog lift, table + Jessem fence, slide + 12" Jointech clincher. Works well for me and is a pretty flexible setup.

Eric Anderson
01-04-2016, 3:01 PM
Dan, it was me that was saying I didn't like the BD fence and originally wanted to go with the Woodpecker fence, but it won't fit the BD table. I saw the Jessem at woodcrafters and liked the design and versatility and wondered if it would fit (the spacing looked very close if not right on). That is why I posted. I like the Woodpecker lift (which does fit the BD's smaller table opening) but just didn't feel that good with the BD fence, especially since I'm going to spend a grand or more on this table without the router (which I already have the PC 7518) and why not get the best fence too. One more question Denis, where did you get the modified T-nuts?

Thanks for the clarification and info.

Denis Kenzior
01-04-2016, 3:20 PM
Eric,

I used these, they were 2.99 and free shipping back in 2010:
http://www.drillspot.com/products/554495/te-co_4140101_t-slot_nut

they fit perfectly. Double check the dimensions since things might have changed in 5-6 years.