PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable Pancake Compressor Issue

Matt Przybylski
01-03-2016, 12:35 PM
Hey everyone,
I don’t use my air compressor often as I don’t do that much air nailing but for the occasional task I turn it on and let it build up the pressure before use. The other day I needed to use my brad nailer so I turned it on and let it build up. It took longer than usual which I found curious and then all of a sudden (while the compressor was still running) it started to just release air through the safety valve and the pressure was going back down. Every time I turn it on now it eventually gets to around 145 PSI tank pressure and then starts to just let the air out of the safety valve.

Anyone have any ideas on what the issue may be? Do I need to replace the safety valve or the pressure switch? I don't know much about compressors but I did some research online and it seems these are common problems. The safety valve replacement is much simpler (and cheaper) than the pressure switch so I'm hoping its that but I don't know. I'd appreciate someone with more knowledge on compressors chiming in.

George Bokros
01-03-2016, 2:28 PM
If the compressor isn't stopping then I would say the pressure safety valve is bad and opening too soo. If it is the same PC pancake compressor I have it should shut off at 150 psi and the safety valve should not trip

Lee Schierer
01-03-2016, 3:19 PM
Unless you have your pressure switch cranked up to 145 psi, then the pressure switch has gone bad. The safety valve is doing what it is supposed to do.

Dan Hahr
01-03-2016, 3:21 PM
I've had to work the safety valve in and out few times to get it to stay in. My pressure switch shuts it off very close to 152 psi. I'd check or clean the release valve first. The pressure switch isnt cheap.

Dan

Ed Gibbons
01-03-2016, 5:29 PM
Same thing happened to me. I changed the faulty valve. Got one from a plumbing supply store.

Matt Przybylski
01-03-2016, 9:14 PM
I ordered a new safety valve and drain valve off of Amazon for $10 total. I however now have a different problem it seems. I tried to fill the tank up again and it was filling up to 155 PSI tank pressure and not shutting off or releasing the safety either. This is different than my original problem as the safety valve there was just going loose at 145 PSI.
I'm now thinking I’ll probably have to change out the pressure switch which is $26 on Amazon. If it wasn’t for the fact that I really don’t use the compressor all that much as I don’t do an incredible amount of nailing I’d just chuck it and get a nice big one so I can use it to spray finishes with as well. Right now, however, that is just not the case and I don’t have the space for a bigger one at that.

Curt Harms
01-04-2016, 9:16 AM
Do you have a manual or spec sheet? What pressure is it supposed to shut off at? Mine are around 120-125 p.s.i. I know some run higher. If it's supposed to shut off at 125 p.s.i. and pressurizes to 145 p.s.i. it's a bad switch. If it's supposed to pressurize to 150 p.s.i. and the pressure relief valve opens at 145 p.s.i. it's a bad pressure relief valve.

Matt Przybylski
01-04-2016, 1:13 PM
Its 150psi tank pressure.

Rich Riddle
01-04-2016, 4:05 PM
Wow, my Makita hotdog compressor shuts off at 125 PSI. It's common to have parts fail on those compressors. Mine in a similar circumstance proved to be a pressure regulator. The Makita now uses a DeWalt regulator. They have fairly interchangeable parts.