PDA

View Full Version : Planing Ebony

David Ragan
01-03-2016, 11:24 AM
Hello,

Please observe the following, accomplished w a #62, bevel of 50*.

When I finished, the Ebony was smooth, but are these little short shavings normal?

it is really hard to read the grain-and got same result no matter how I oriented the board (this one is 3x6")

As Always, Thanks

David

Tony Shea
01-03-2016, 11:34 AM
As long as the surface came out smooth and flat it doesn't matter what the shavings look like. I personally get a bit larger shavings when planing ebony but it truly depends on the exact species and the geometry of the planing. It looks almost like you scraped the surface with something a bit higher pitched than 50deg. Either way the surface looks nice and it really doesn't matter.

george wilson
01-03-2016, 1:07 PM
Yes,typical ebony shavings. A brittle wood.

How to judge ebony quality: first,it should be all really black if Gaboon ebony. Next,the best ebony has the smallest pores.

The sharps on old Chickering pianos were known for being made of the best ebony.

I suppose these days we have to get what we can. I have bought so much ebony I'll probably never buy another piece. I have an ebony log that I can't bring myself to saw up. It is as black as black can get. Had it since 1970. about 8" v 10" x 5 feet(I'd have to go measure it).

Patrick Chase
01-03-2016, 1:14 PM
Hello,

Please observe the following, accomplished w a #62, bevel of 50*.

When I finished, the Ebony was smooth, but are these little short shavings normal?

it is really hard to read the grain-and got same result no matter how I oriented the board (this one is 3x6")

As Always, Thanks

David

Wow, I get to use this twice in one week: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=69302

While that "product" is an April Fools' joke, the point behind it is very real: Shaving inspection (a.k.a. "preening") is usually a waste of time. The only exception is if you're doing something like an end-grain test cut to assess blade sharpness, and IMO even that is often overdone. Just vacuum them up and worry about the wood surface.

For the record and as others say, those are typical shavings for such a brittle wood. In fact they indicate that the wood is inherently tearout-resistant, and that means you might be able to get a somewhat better surface by going to a low-angle plane. I'd be tempted to swap a 40-deg frog into my #4 and (very carefully) see what happens....

EDIT: I'd use a 40-deg frog in a BD plane here because it's a valuable workpiece and the BD plane gives me more options to limit the severity of any tearout issues that may arise. A low-angle BU plane would probably be just fine too.

Shawn Pixley
01-03-2016, 2:51 PM
Looks fine to me. Though I have gotten both the shavings you show and more traditional long shavings. It seems to depend upon the wood. I used a Bailey #4 (sharp).

Mike Holbrook
01-04-2016, 10:27 PM
We are doing similar things again David. I was just trying to take the twist out of an old piece of twisted, cupped Cherry that a buddy gave me. I was having a very hard time getting long shavings, due to all the high and low spots and difficult grain. I can barely get the blade into this stuff much less take a full shaving!

Brian Holcombe
01-05-2016, 12:04 AM

How to judge ebony quality: first,it should be all really black if Gaboon ebony. Next,the best ebony has the smallest pores.

The sharps on old Chickering pianos were known for being made of the best ebony.

I suppose these days we have to get what we can. I have bought so much ebony I'll probably never buy another piece. I have an ebony log that I can't bring myself to saw up. It is as black as black can get. Had it since 1970. about 8" v 10" x 5 feet(I'd have to go measure it).

George, that's an incredible chunk of ebony. Amazing that stock that size ever made it to the US.

glenn bradley
01-05-2016, 7:37 AM
I only work with smaller pieces of gaboon, about the size you show. Those shavings are typical of my results.

To Brian H: Tropical Exotic Hardwoods (http://www.tehwoods.com/wood-shop/other-stock/ebony-billet-be4) in Carlsbad, CA has billets of ebony that make my eyes pop out ;-)

Brian Holcombe
01-05-2016, 8:09 AM
Incredible, the have a log that is 15" diameter by 94" long!

george wilson
01-05-2016, 9:43 AM
That log(or,rather we both have wedges split from logs) is $1650.00,and is 49" long. I'll have to figure what mine is worth. I'd say mine has about the same board footage as that log. They want $110.00 a BF for Gaboon. I'd like to build a long bow. May inquire about their yew wood.

Mike Brady
01-05-2016, 2:30 PM
When was that April Fool's ad run? I had not seen it before and read it a few times. It's just a slight exaggeration of their real ads after all. :rolleyes:

Mike Allen1010
01-05-2016, 2:43 PM

George, excellent advice as always. Don't think we did notice the stealth wood gloat "I have an ebony log that I can't bring myself to saw up. It is as black as black can get. Had it since 1970. about 8" v 10" x 5 feet". That is the biggest piece of ebony I've ever heard of. I'm officially jealous and you suck:).

Best,Mike

Brian Holcombe
01-05-2016, 4:28 PM
That log(or,rather we both have wedges split from logs) is $1650.00,and is 49" long. I'll have to figure what mine is worth. I'd say mine has about the same board footage as that log. They want $110.00 a BF for Gaboon. I'd like to build a long bow. May inquire about their yew wood.

I kick myself often for not buying up much more gaboon ebony about 7-8 years ago. Local to me, they had a pile they seemingly could not get rid of for about $50/BF, I bought a few sticks but not a whole lot. They replenished after finally selling through it and it is now $150/BF.

I went to Maloof's place two years ago....they have a pile of gaboon that would make a lumber baron blush, and right next to it is a similar pile of brazilian rosewood. As much as I enjoyed the house I sat in awe of the lumber for a good moment.

Patrick Chase
01-05-2016, 5:34 PM
I only work with smaller pieces of gaboon, about the size you show. Those shavings are typical of my results.

To Brian H: Tropical Exotic Hardwoods (http://www.tehwoods.com/wood-shop/other-stock/ebony-billet-be4) in Carlsbad, CA has billets of ebony that make my eyes pop out ;-)

My old house (before I moved to the SF bay area) was in Carlsbad just a couple miles up El Camino Real from them. That place is a serious bankruptcy hazard.

Nicholas Lawrence
01-05-2016, 7:07 PM
When was that April Fool's ad run? I had not seen it before and read it a few times. It's just a slight exaggeration of their real ads after all. :rolleyes:

They apparently do one every year. My wife and I were chuckling at the "Mesopotamian story tape" and thinking about getting some as gag gifts for family, which they actually make for sale. If you do a search on their website they all come up, and some are pretty funny.

My reaction was the same though. The "story tape" and some of the other items are only slightly less ridiculous than some of the stuff that is actually in the catalog.

Zander Kale
01-05-2016, 8:39 PM
50° (or 55, I don't remember) with a D2 blade.

Patrick Chase
01-06-2016, 2:23 AM

Search for "AFD" on their website for the full set. The shroud was one of their better efforts IMO.

As Nicholas says part of what makes them funny is that LV understands their niche in hand-tool culture, and they're not afraid to make fun of their own penchant for gadgetry.