PDA

View Full Version : setting up network printer with Asus Rt-n56U issues...

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Just trying to setup a network printer, a Brother HL-2240, thru my ASUS router and its seems to be resisting my best efforts to get it to work. The printer connects to a USB port on the router, the port is set to TCP/IP with the network address of 192.168.1.1, printer driver is installed as far as I can tell and yet....it will not print a test page. Not sure what to try next as it should work! :D:D:confused:

Kent Adams
01-03-2016, 11:57 AM
Try setting it up with it plugged into your computer first. You need the computer to recognize the printer .

Jerome Stanek
01-03-2016, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you would need a print server if your router doesn't have one

Grant Wilkinson
01-03-2016, 12:06 PM
Are you running windows? If so, what version? Was the printer plugged into the router when you installed the drivers on the PC? Is the problem the same on all the PC's on the network?

Rich Engelhardt
01-03-2016, 12:36 PM
the port is set to TCP/IP with the network address of 168.192.1.1,You sure about that address?
192.168.x.x is usually the subnet routers default to.

Check your subnet mask also. Make sure the printer and the computers all match. Should be 255.255.255.0 or 255.255.0.0

Lastly X.X.1.1 sounds a little odd for a network address. A x.x.1.1 address is usually (but not always) used as a gateway. not as a host address. Usually, dot 1 and dot 254 are used as a gateway (router) address.

David L Morse
01-03-2016, 12:51 PM
....the port is set to TCP/IP with the network address of 168.192.1.1,.....

You possibly transposed the numbers when you typed your post, I think that IP Address should be 192.168.1.1. Might be worth checking.

Ok, Rich you noticed the possible transposition too. I think though that the address he's referring to is part of the Windows printer setup, that is, the printer port in Windows is TCP/IP with the address of the router. The router perhaps doesn't assign a separate address to the printer itself since it's connected to a USB port instead of an Ethernet port?

Chuck Wintle
01-03-2016, 3:44 PM
I gave up trying to make my printer work from the router like a print server which it was supposed to do. I reconnected the printer back to the usb port of the computer and not the router and now all works as it should.

Curt Harms
01-04-2016, 8:56 AM
Next printer get one with an ethernet port (but I'm sure you know that) :). I have a router with USB port with flash drive that I use as sort of a poor man's NAS device in lieu of enabling print and file sharing. The router is a Linksys running DD-WRT. To access the USB connected device I use either smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. I'm not sure about USB printers, I've never tried it. Setting up Brother & Samsung networked printers are a breeze on linux. Brother has an installer script that does a pretty good job of proper configuration. Tell it the printer model and connection type when asked. Agree to a couple licenses and sit still for about a minute. Samsung is even easier.

Dan Hintz
01-04-2016, 9:08 AM
I bought a cheap (and tiny) Tenda router so I could remote my printer. Took a while to get the setup correct (bridge mode), but once I did, it worked wonderfully.

Right up until the power went out. The printer (for whatever reason), incremented the IP address it expected comms on, and things stopped working. It required a reinstall of the drivers to get it working again. After losing power several times in a year, I finally gave up on it and hardwired.