PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Gremlin?

Ian Moone
01-03-2016, 3:00 AM
I seem to have run into a dust collector gremlin.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/P1010392A_zpsn69r4ech.jpg

This is my "new to me" dust collector. Made in Taiwan, in 2005. Its a generic thing made for a machinery co here called Ron Mack Machinery...

http://www.ronmack.com.au/products/wood-work/by-application/fume-dust-collection/dust-collectors/default.aspx

It's 5 HP, 3 phase 415 volts 50 Htz.

Although its 10 years old - its run for approximately 1 hour from new.

A guy owned a workshop who manufactures aluminium pick up truck tray back to replace the factory well bodies... bought it new to connect to his drop saw that cuts aluminium extrusions to collect the swarf!. His tradesmen told him, "don't be stupid the alloy swarf is sharp and will shred the cloth bags within minutes" so it never got used - it got stored away on a mezzanine floor in their factory for a few years "in case they could find an alternate use for it" - which they never did.

Eventually during a stock take they figured out they still had it.... and needed the storage space, so advertised it cheap ($600) & I bought it after plugging ti in and testing it and seeing its essentially still new - having never been used. It was dusty but compressed air cleaned it up like new!.

I connected it up to my Robland X31 combo machine for 1 hour and planed / thicknessed some Pine and Jarrah boards! This took about an hour and when finished there is about 4 inches of shavings in the bottom of each dust bag.

When I turned it off, I could hear a slight "whine" noise - like a bearing whine if you will, as it slowed down - because I turned the planer off first and thus could hear the dust collector as it slowed down over the prior noise of the planer.

All good - about a month later I wanted to saw some wood and coupled up the hose to the X31 again & turned it on & nothing! It just sits there and poles. Of course I turned it straight off.

No smoke or anything - and I tried briefly to spin the impeller by hand and then turn the power on again to see if it would "start up" with the armature spinning! Nope - it just slowed down to a stop and I turned the power off again.

I am finding it hard to understand why it won't start up.. I mean although it's is a decade old - but it's only been in storage - it's done a whole 1 hours work from new in essence.

Of course being a decade old, there will be no warranty from the seller nor the manufacturer who sold it originally I guess some time after it was manufactured in Taiwan in 2005.

When It was first connected the electrician connected the 3 phase 20 amp plug and it spun the wrong way so - he reversed either the L1 and L2 or L1 and L3 leads on the plug and it spun the right way!.

I am reticent to dismantle it to take the heavy 3 phase 5 HP motor to a rewinds place etc - in case there's something simple (like a loose connection or something).

Should I get an electrician to come and check it over in situ?.

I am hoping its just something simple / stupid that's preventing it starting up - I cannot believe a new motor quits after 1 hours work, but I also know that if I take it to a rewinds place they will charge me to rewind it -even if its not broken coz that's what they do - that's how they make their income, NOT by saying - "Ohh look one of the connecting wires has come loose" & reconnecting it and sending me on my way with it... Any engine you take to a rewind place automatically needs a rewind (new or not) in my past experience.

But electricians aren't cheap to call out for a diagnosis either (like $300 minimum just to come look).

At the end of the day having only paid $600 for it I don't want to end up paying a sparky 300 to diagnose it and a rewinds place another 500 to rewind it, only to have a dud motor that never ran woitrh a damn from new basically!.

I can't see any trip switch / re set switch (I've checked all the breaker switches).

Should I just take the control box cover off the machine and look for maybe a loose connection - one of the 3 phase wires come loose/fallen off?

Is there something simple I am missing maybe?

I was hoping to use this to set up the cyclone / chip bin etc... which is why I bought it in the first place.

TIA if anyone has an ideas!

Mike Heidrick
01-03-2016, 7:20 AM
Do you have other 3ph tools on that same circuit that you can verify power is to that receptacle?
Do you own and are you comfortable using a multimeter?
Can you tell us more and show pictures of the power switch on that DC?

Ian Moone
01-03-2016, 8:54 AM
Yes I have a 3 phase welder that works fine on that same circuit!
Yes I have a multi-meter & I guess I can use it, although I never have with 415 volts - I normally use it on the vehicle with 12 volts...!
I can take and post photos of the start stop switch on the engine and the wall circuit breaker switch in the morning when I have some day light.

Cheers for that Mike!.

Gerry Grzadzinski
01-03-2016, 9:18 AM
An electric motor shop should be able to test the motor for free, or a very minimal fee, and tell you if the motor is bad or not.

I would do that rather than having an electrician come out.