PDA

View Full Version : JessEm table saw guides vs. Board Buddies

John Hollaway
01-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Sorry if this subject has been talked to death. I have and use the JessEm router table guides. Great product for $99.00. I never tried the Board Buddies for the RT.

I've now begun looking at the JessEm table saw guides. I'm sure their an equally fine piece of engineering as the RT guides, but at five times the price of Board Buddies for reportedly the same functionality, why should I spend the extra dough for the JessEm product? Am I missing something here? Thanks.

John

Mike Chalmers
01-03-2016, 4:36 AM
You are right. While i am sure the JessEm product is of much better quality, they are not worth the extra money, in my opinion. The only real problem I have with board buddies is the limited range of movement from the fence without a big song and dance. They don't play nice for ripping thin pieces.

Kent Adams
01-03-2016, 8:07 AM
John have you seen videos on Youtube of the board buddies?

Peter Kuhlman
01-03-2016, 9:01 AM
Would it be worth trying to use the Jessem router guides on the table saw?
Same direction of use, same purpose?
Yea I also considered the table saw version but don't understand why they are 3X the price.

Jack Lemley
01-03-2016, 9:13 AM
As a longtime fan of the ripstraight years ago to the board buddies and in the last year to the Jessem jig, Jessem wins hands down and are worth every penny. Way more convenient and easy to use than the board buddies. I have the table saw and router table versions.

Jack

Bill White
01-03-2016, 9:30 AM
I've been with the Board Buddies for sooo long that I'm just used to any work-arounds that are needed. Can't see spending more for the same effect.
Bill

Kent Adams
01-03-2016, 10:14 AM
Peter, I have both. There is considerably more tooling with the TS version than the router version and I suspect that is why they cost so much more. Both are exceptionally well made and I'd say there is 3 times the tooling on the TS version to justify the price, at least for me. After using the router version, I didn't hesitate to buy the TS version and I using for nearly every cut I make that isn't too narrow to use a push stick.

Ben Rivel
01-03-2016, 4:14 PM
I have both also, and the best way I can explain it is this: The router table guides are 4-5 times the cost of a set of featherboards and you feel they are worth it right? I can just say that its the same with the table saw guides :)