PDA

View Full Version : New TS Blade - Added noise/vibration?

Nick Stokes
01-02-2016, 4:53 PM
So I purchased a new blade for my PCS sawstop to replace the stock one that I have used for a year or so. I'm not picky about blades, I just need em to cut.

I replaced my stock blade with the "Delta 35-7657" blade that a lot of people recommend for affordability. As soon as I fired her up, it sounded different. There is what I would describe as a low growl that used to not be there. Also, there is maybe a little more vibration felt through the table top. Not sure what's going on, if it's ok, or whatever else.

The cut quality itself was great, better than before.

Thoughts on what I am experiencing?

Lee Schierer
01-02-2016, 6:56 PM
First thoughts. Check the blade to make sure that there isn't a tooth missing or damaged. Is the body of this blade thinner than your stock blade? Is it possible the arbor nut and washer aren't tight against the sides of the blade? Some saw blades just make more noise than others. I've got an older craftsman blade that literally screams when I run it. SOmetimes you get what you pay for in saw blades. I would recommend getting a Freud blade, something like a 10" x 50T Freud Industrial Combination Blade (LU84R011). A bit mor moeny but a much nicer blade. Rockler and others put them on sale from time to time for pretty decent prices.

Bruce Wrenn
01-02-2016, 9:48 PM
I would recommend getting a Freud blade, something like a 10" x 50T Freud Industrial Combination Blade (LU84R011). A bit mor moeny but a much nicer blade I own both blades, along with a couple of WWII's. The 7657 delivers as good performance as the LU 84. The one on my saw now needs sharpening, but it's been on saw for over 5 years. Hard to justify shipping and sharpening on a blade that I paid less than $20 for.

Nick Stokes
01-03-2016, 12:05 AM
Which, I am all about value. Like I said, I bet there aren't many guys on this forum that used the stock blade for a year...

But, what might be happening here? Could this blade have more weight? Causing it to sound "Beefier"? It's like a low growl...

Or is it all from vibration caused by some problem with the blade? Or do some blades just sound different?

Thanks.

Rick Potter
01-03-2016, 3:38 PM
Assuming you have checked for missing teeth, crud under the washers, runout on the blade, etc., the answer is Yes, some blades make more noise than others.

As an example, I recently changed blades on my RAS, and the new one, which cuts just great, has a high pitched noise the old one didn't. It is annoying enough that I use earmuffs for it, but the cut is so good, I am going to leave it on for a while.