PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner Table Saw n Band saw ???? Maintenance

Steven Congleton
01-02-2016, 3:47 PM
Picked up model 1180 serial #16544 table saw runs well cut a few scraps before purchase.

Band saw serial # 19639 14 inch this baby was heavy cast iron...cuts well

Now is there anything as far as preventive maintenance, something i should replace...

they both seem to run pretty quiet ..i will pop up some pictures soon, i think they are still original color of green band saw is a hammered texture..

thanks for any help

Steven

Jon Grider
01-02-2016, 6:19 PM
Picked up model 1180 serial #16544 table saw runs well cut a few scraps before purchase.

Band saw serial # 19639 14 inch this baby was heavy cast iron...cuts well

Now is there anything as far as preventive maintenance, something i should replace...

they both seem to run pretty quiet ..i will pop up some pictures soon, i think they are still original color of green band saw is a hammered texture..

thanks for any help

StevenYou may want to visit OWWM site, the folks there are friendly and THE place for info on old and vintage woodworking machines.

Gary Radice
01-02-2016, 9:44 PM
+1 on visiting OWWM.

Congrats especially on getting that bandsaw. It is a quest machine for many of the OWWM folks (including me!) I don't know much about the tablesaw, but others at OWWM will.

Generally speaking, I would minimally plan on replacing the arbor bearings on the table saw and the wheel bearings on the bandsaw on any machine of those vintages. Even if they seem to run OK, the lubrication in those bearings is bound to be at or near the end of its life. Check the wheels and see if they need balancing (they may not). Might have to replace the tires. Of course make sure the wiring is not frayed and the motor is grounded properly.

Carroll Courtney
01-03-2016, 8:34 AM
How's the tires on the BS,if original they will need to be replace.What about the bearings on the guides if any,they are cheap enough just to replace.Does the motor have oil cups,if so may add afew drops of oil.It being belt driven,go ahead and replace it,myself I like the belts with the slots in it which I think does not make as much noise.Please do post some pics.WT is one of the best BS there is,having the CI base is a very big plus for helping make it run quite.Congrats---Carroll
When you do visit OWWM,find yourself a manual

Steven Congleton
01-03-2016, 12:28 PM
Thanks some much...I will head over to OWWM ...will try n take a few pics today of the saws...

Steven Congleton
01-05-2016, 3:14 PM
328626My band saw name plate..thanks for looking