PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Plane vs Mitter Trimmer

Dave Lehnert
01-02-2016, 9:45 AM
Seems like the new dedicated shooting planes are very popular right now.
Just wondering why not a miter trimmer for less $$$$$ ?

Mark AJ Allen
01-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I believe a miter trimmer is specifically for a 45 deg cut. Shooting plane with a shooting board can do more angles and very often, used for 90 deg.

Matthew N. Masail
01-02-2016, 11:00 AM
your talking roast beef and greek cheese here. totally different.

M Toupin
01-02-2016, 11:13 AM
Miter trimmers like the bench top Lion can do any angle between 45 & 90 though they have hard stops for 45 & 90. Both will get you to the same place, the method is just different.

Mike

Nicholas Lawrence
01-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Seems like the new dedicated shooting planes are very popular right now.
Just wondering why not a miter trimmer for less $$$$$ ?

My answer is that a standard bench plane with a shooting board does a nice job, is cheaper than even the cheap miter trimmers, and can be used to square sides as well as ends. Plus I just don't need a large specialty tool cluttering up my bench top.

bridger berdel
01-02-2016, 3:53 PM
Miter trimmers are limited in width of cut. Otherwise, they are nicer to work with. For fitting picture frames and similar molding cuts, they are ideal.

Patrick Chase
01-02-2016, 4:04 PM
Miter trimmers are limited in width of cut. Otherwise, they are nicer to work with. For fitting picture frames and similar molding cuts, they are ideal.

They're also better suited to horizontal miter cuts than to verticals, as IIRC most miter trimmers are limited to a height of about 4". You ideally want a donkey's ear shooting board or something similar for verticals.

EDIT: I suppose that if you were really determined you could build a ramp attachment for a miter trimmer. Out of curiosity has anybody here done that?

Dave Lehnert
01-02-2016, 4:29 PM
They're also better suited to horizontal miter cuts than to verticals, as IIRC most miter trimmers are limited to a height of about 4". You ideally want a donkey's ear shooting board or something similar for verticals.

EDIT: I suppose that if you were really determined you could build a ramp attachment for a miter trimmer. Out of curiosity has anybody here done that?

Like this?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Top-Trim-Attachment-for-G1690-Miter-Trimmer/G3043

Patrick Chase
01-02-2016, 5:35 PM
Like this?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Top-Trim-Attachment-for-G1690-Miter-Trimmer/G3043

Yeah, like that.

Tony Zaffuto
01-03-2016, 8:11 AM
I have and use both. My Lion is mostly a trim tool and does a beautiful job. Yes it can go between 45 & 90, but.........

My LN #9, with a shooting board gives me more of an ability to "tweak" a fit, for example by inserting a piece of paper at one end of the stock to throw the angle a whisker off 90.